You can type here any text you want

Question about Roller Cam Redline

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

nick368

I had my car on the dyno today and the guy asks me a logical question that I don't know the answer to. Given my cam setup of a Crane Comp 215/210 does anyone know really anything about this cam. Is it any good? Also what is the redline. I believe I heard that with the stock cam in, the GN is good for 5200, curious given my setup what mine is???

If that's a roller cam and you got 100lb springs you got trouble...

That cam should pull to ~6000 or so. Probably want to shift around 5900.

You're right about the stock cam. It pulls to about 5200.

nick368 Ok tell the dummy (me) why???
The ramps on a roller are more agressive than a flat tappet (one of the MANY benifits) The overall mass of the valvetrain is increased (roller lifter vs flat) and the typical reason for a cam swap is increased lift (more movement to control) and duration (valves are opened and closed quicker which takes more spring pressure to keep the lifter in contact with the lobe)....Thats the basics anyhow.

Ok, thank you. honestly in the past I think I trusted the wrong people to tell me the right things. So my next question is, I guess I need better valve springs, yes? And if so what should I buy for this cam?

Or

Will I get better performance by replacing with a better cam?

Ok, thank you. honestly in the past I think I trusted the wrong people to tell me the right things. So my next question is, I guess I need better valve springs, yes? And if so what should I buy for this cam?

Or

Nick,

Some people run the split profile the other way favoring the exhaust.
However I would try just doing the springs and see how you like it.

Or

Comp 941@ 1.700 installed. You can change them without pulling the heads. Buy an installed height checker and shims. Check for coil bind issues first. Use compressed air in the cylinders and a lever style spring compressor. Install at 1.700. Shift point will be around 5600 under 25psi and a p trim. If more boost and an s trim you can go to 5800.

Ok. Thank you. As far as the springs go, does Jegs or summit sell those. What I mean is they are not specific enough that I have to buy at 1 or 2 places. As you can imagine the more I learn about these cars and the people I trusted, the more I keep spending dollars. I know this is an expensive habit but I need to see a clearing soon or it's gonna sit in the garage from just fear of driving it.

I found these: Is this what you are talking about:

COMP Cams 941-16 - COMP Cams Valve Springs
Valve Springs, Single, 1.260 in. Outside Diameter, 447 lbs./in. Rate, 1.130 in. Coil Bind Height, Set of 16

Brand COMP Cams
Manufacturer's Part Number 941-16
Part Type Valve Springs
Product Line COMP Cams Valve Springs
Summit Racing Part Number CCA-941-16

Number of Springs Per Valve Single
Outside Diameter of Outer Spring (in) 1.255 in.
Coil Bind Height (in) 1.130 in.
Damper Spring Included Yes
Spring Rate (lbs/in) 441 lbs./in.
Inside Diameter of Outer Spring (in) 0.871 in.
Valve Spring Style Standard
Coated No
Quantity Sold as a set of 16.

Also are there specific shims that go with specific valve springs or what do you suggest for shims. don't worry I'm not installing this, but this time I'll need to watch.

Ok, sounds good. If I need the keepers, are there specific ones that go with these valve springs?

Also, So these valve springs will work much better with my current cam setup. Will there be a noticeable performance difference.

you could go with the stage one valve springs from TA Performance. The specialize in buicks you could give mike or dave a hollar there and they can help you with whatever you may need. They are real honest guys and will give you the info your seeking, just tell them what ya got what your intentions are and they will set you up. The number is 480-922-6807. Hope that helps, best to look at all options.

You have to get the keepers that go with the retainers either 7 or 10*. If you call a vendor they should be able to help you out, Cottons, TA, Full throttle..................

Also you should be able to get a couple more RPMs out of it, and more stable valve control.

Ok, sounds good. If I need the keepers, are there specific ones that go with these valve springs?

Also, So these valve springs will work much better with my current cam setup. Will there be a noticeable performance difference.

Your valves were probably floating so ya, you should see more performance!

Guess I will be selling 100lb valve springs soon with only about 3k on them

You will gain about 1000 rpm with the 941's vs a 100 lb spring with a roller cam.

Back