You can type here any text you want

Question on taking apart stock engine

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

d0n_3d

Boost is good.
Right now I have just the rotating assembly left to take out of the block. I was thinking about having someone clean up my block inside and out and checked over, will I be OK taking out the rotating assembly and being able to put it back together the way it was? Or is it once I take everything apart, I have to have a machine shop do something with it? Any tips on what I should do? I don't want to spend a whole ton of money on this right now, just want everything to be 100% clean.

I think it depends on what you find when you take it apart.:eek: If the bearings and crank journals look fine chances are you should be ok if you're just gonna use it for a stock daily driver.

The thing is if you find some abnormal wear on the crank or bearings I wouldn't feel right about just putting it back together knowing that I'd have to rebuild it later down the road since the motor is already apart. I would at least have a good machine shop check the block and rotating assembly to see if something is messed up.

I'm going through the same thing right now with a 109 longblock my brother bought. It was running when we got it but we bought it knowing a basic rebuild might be needed. Sure enough the 2 center main bearings had copper showing on the lower halves, as did the #1 upper main bearing. The crank looks like it will polish out ok.

The bottom end was recently rebuilt but they used all the stock stuff (stock rebuild). The only thing I notice is that they used ARP rod bolts. They also used a double roller timing chain and new gears and it looks like there is a new cam and lifters since the lifters look brand new. I don't want to take it apart but I want the block cleaned so I would have to take apart everything. Take it all apart, inspect bearings and if in good shape, put back together the same way taken apart and call it good? Or have machine shop do everything? Again cost is the issue here. Don't want to spend a couple grand just to have this thing gone through when it looks like it was just rebuilt.

Another question, is it ok to take out the stock main bolts and replace with main studs without doing anything???

You can put studs in it if you want but I woulldn't without at least doing a main hone. If you have it apart go through the board and find the oiling mods to the cover and block that you can do youself. Just have the block vated and don't instal the cam bearings and do the rest at home yourself.

why are you taking apart a freshly built engine?
if it ran good and didn't make any noises, don't take anything apart beyond pulling a few rod and main caps to see what the bearings and journals look like.
if yo usee a problem, take it apart and haul it off to the machine shop to get fixed.
if you don't see any problems, then just put it back together with a new gasket set and call it good.

What i would do would be to take it apart and number which bearings came from which cylinder.I dont see anything wrong with it.Then have everything cleaned and reassemble it.This way you can check all the clarences again.Just leave the cam bearings in.If you take the block to have it hot tanked they may want all the freeze plugs out.

why are you taking apart a freshly built engine?
if it ran good and didn't make any noises, don't take anything apart beyond pulling a few rod and main caps to see what the bearings and journals look like.
if yo usee a problem, take it apart and haul it off to the machine shop to get fixed.
if you don't see any problems, then just put it back together with a new gasket set and call it good.

That's the thing, I haven't ran this motor myself. I bought it off someone who said it ran fine but this is a guy who claimed the motor had 44k original miles on it and was clueless that the motor had been rebuilt. I'm thinkin I'll just take the entire assembly in to a machine shop to have checked out and maybe have them install new bearings and such. Might as well do it right.

Back