You can type here any text you want

Quick ? on spark gap running alki

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GBGN1

stroked
Ive got a friend that keeps having idling issues.Seems to be running rich. He showed me a set of old plugs he was runnning and they were ac44's and he was told to gap them at .18 .It just seems to me like hes fouling spark plugs and the gap is too narrow. He has ank alki set up and it kicks in at 17.

Any thoughts?
Thanks much

Ive got a friend that keeps having idling issues.Seems to be running rich. He showed me a set of old plugs he was runnning and they were ac44's and he was told to gap them at .18 .It just seems to me like hes fouling spark plugs and the gap is too narrow. He has ank alki set up and it kicks in at 17.

Any thoughts?
Thanks much
If you mean .018", even I don't run that tight. I gap at .022".

Sorry yes I mean 018. For a strret car with alki is it totally needed to even go down to 022?

alky kicks in at 17psi? what alky kit is installed on the car? also open the gap to .032 and start there

Just looked at the car today. Snow performance meth/water. Just trying to help a local guy out .

I was told by bison years ago to run .028 gap with a ac delco plug r42ts and I have never ever had a spark blow out issue with boost as high as 28 psi . I have never ever been able to run more boost than that because the cars didn't want to do it since I had stock heads. I have run this gap and these plugs on about 10 of my cars with zero issues.

Thanks bison you are pretty much always right when I call with problems you seem to have the answers!

Thanks for your thoughts. IM going to have him get some similar plugs. Some Autolite 24's and going with the 028 gap. It should work out

AC 42s gapped at 32 will work just fine. The snow performance kit runs a mix of water and methanol or Boost Juice as they call it. I would be setting that pump to turn on at 8 psi and let it spray progressively as the boost goes to 17.

Most people use Razors alky kit around here. That kit comes on at 8 psi and progressively sprays from there to whatever boost level you run. His kit runs straight methanol all the time. My point here is that the snow kit is not running as high an octane fuel as Razors kit is due to the mix being used.

You may be able to run straight methanol in the Snow kit. If you can I would be doing that. Head gaskets aint cheap. ;)

No I agree but it isnt my car. Just helping an elderly gentleman that doesnt use a computer. With all my race cars ive always just used 110 octane cam 2. So just getting some extra input to help him.

Back