You can type here any text you want

raced a new M5

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

89mulletbird

So I was giving a show and tell ride to a Subaru WRX friend, he wanted to feel what old school power felt like :cool:

I pull up to this stop light and noticed a BMW next to me. I didn't however see that it was an M5. When the light went green my buddy was yelling GO GO GO. He noticed what it was. So I hammered it down and spun all the way through first into second. By then the M5 had about 1 car on me. I pulled even with him through second and then pulled 1/2 car on him at the bottom of 3rd. Mind you, my stall converter doesnt let the RPM get below. 4k ever. Good for low end pulling, but bad for top end. When we hit about 90mph he started pulling on me, since I was well above my powerband, and by 110mph he had about 1 car on me, then we let off.

I ordered a set of BFG drag radials today. I am using Kuhmo SPT's and they are good for drifting, that's about it.

2007 M5 - 500HP 383trq
TTA996 - 390HP 520trq

I see why he got me on the top end.

kewl. what mods u got?

next time, anihilate him so bad out of the hole that his top end won't matter. That's the buick way!

390HP is not bad! I'd be interested to know the list of mods you have on your vehicle.

Oh and, let's see a rematch sometime! :D

Stock motor/heads
3200 Art Carr 9" converter
3" THDP
3" Dynomax exhaust
36# blue tops
TA-49
Hallman boost controller
Razor Progressive Alky
Dutt neck
58mm TB
RJC powerplate
AFPR
Hotwired high flow fuel pump
Turbotweak 91octane alky chip
100# springs

Seriously "losing" to a $60K (?) car is not something I'd really hang my head in shame over that's for sure. The fact you even gave him a run at all with your 20+ year old domestic full size car is just cool as hell!

Now build that thing up with some new go fast goodies so next time you can win, damnit!

Oh I'm pretty pumped I hung with him, his car is $80k+ and I have about $20k into mine. It got me to order some drag radials and start looking at a new turbo LOL.

Oh I'm pretty pumped I hung with him, his car is $80k+ and I have about $20k into mine. It got me to order some drag radials and start looking at a new turbo LOL.

You need to verify your converter slip isnt out of line before you spend any extra $ on turbos and other items.

When you blow by him and put 4 cars on him ,,,,there is no reason to race around the world till he catches up,tap the brakes and its over....:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

LOL - good idea. He will have no idea my top end is not as strong as my pull :biggrin: Also, keeps the speeds down on the public streets :cool:

Your top end is more than you think it is, plus, how do you think you 'lost' ?
You not only didnt launch it, but you didnt even realize he was racing till your buddy said 'go go go'. PLUS you spun your entire first gear out, bogging the beginning of your your second gear when they finally hooked. You don't need ANYthing but some good tires, and a properly set up race. Heat the tires, pull up to the flagger, build the boost, and I guaranTEE you, you will not only smoke his bags outta the hole, but you will own him thru the entire quarter. And I agree, verify your converter, and if it in indeed not properly matched to your current equipment, match it up so it behaves thru the entire band.

Ive never heard of your boost controller. Is it manual?

Do you run a cat? What kind of mufflers do you have? If you want a little more top end, exhaust cutouts are only 25 bucks at summit. :) try and put it before your cat if you can.

Heheh. I like what the guy above me says.

Find another M5 and give it a go and follow what he says!

having driven both, the m-5 is a 500 horsepower car, my brother -in-law has an 07 and it sounds awesome, and looks good too, even if you would have hook'd i think he would have gotten you on the top end, I had my bro-in-laws car at 141 m.p.h:eek: , and still had a six gear to go, i know my gn can't stay up with him at those speeds, but it's like they said you slip'd he grip'd
and that is a dam near $100k car:eek: , our cars run great in the quarter but more than that and those supercars will eat us up. IMO? it's a nice V-10;)
probably the only car i would consider leaveing my gn for, if it was free of course:biggrin:

Attachments

• bmw-m5.JPG
    bmw-m5.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 527
You mean to see if my converter is going bad? It's acted the same way since day 1.

No i mean that it may not be coupling up top and costing you a few mph during your races. A few mph is big when racing a car like an M5. I posted in the opther thread you have going in the turbo forum.

Back