Raising FP on stock regulator & Accufab junk

Sure does. I remember looking for one, but never seen one for automotive use.

amazon have them for $30 or sears even list them.the cars i get them off have the dampner in the tank just after the pump on the hanger thats normally cut out to fit a bigger pump they normally take care of the pump gear pulses then these are at the fuel rail inlet.some models with external pumps this is mounted on the pump bracket after the pump at the back by the tank http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-0280161030-Fuel-Pressure-Damper/dp/B000CF5W06

Just caught this post.....I am not very technical as my readers know...however our regulator (kirban) is all built and has always been built int the USA by one person who is very efficient at it. I am simply the idea man. he makes them for us for porsche and Mustang since 1991. I know the diaphram is very special material. I also know ours is cheaper than most if not all the huge aftermarket ones. In the mustang world it is very well known since we have sold thousands of them in that world mostly to companies. crushing the tops is old skool as is the small set screw in the vacuum port. ATR versions as did Kenne Bell back in the day.

We have a race one that has handled 1,000 hp. we had a posrche one power a street driven porsche that ran the silver dollar challenge average speed was over 150 mph for the 90 mile course driven by a woman few years back.

like I said I am just the marketing guy behind it.....I also believe among turbo owners our version is probably the most widely used one. the person who makes it had a GN back in the day. same source makes our corvette shifters as well. Our corvette shifters have been used by some of the biggest names in that world.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

again 100% made in the USA. retails for under $135

I looked at the parts you show from disassembling accufab. I can tell from the photos that our diaphragm is definately different. I don't have notes here at home to remember what the material is but I do know its a critical part to handle various fuels.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Hi Dennis,
Thanks for chiming in. I want to start with: The unit sold by your organization works.

Do you know how much testing was done during the design stages, and do you have any idea of the design criteria used?
Was the unit on the Porsche modified in some way?

Sure does. I remember looking for one, but never seen one for automotive use.

If you have a local JY check out the '90 - '92 Camaro & Firebird V6 cars. There is a damper on the top front of the engine in the feed line to the rail. Looks like a small can in the hardline.

RemoveBeforeFlight

try find an aeromotive fuel reg to pull apart they build in fuel dampning in theres supposidly ide like to see that in a test

You can get a new "237" regulator (their p/n 21707) from Advance for $76 bucks if you prefer new. You need to shoot it with some rattle can black to make it appear stock. Mine is 44 psi vac off.

Last edited:
Reply from the R&.D Engineering Manager:

I think after realizing the regulator is regulating right down on the seat at full horsepower ( minimum bypass flow) , it is a matter of throttling on the seat without changing throttling diameter or area as it lifts off and re-seats. This usually means

1. Very narrow almost sharp edge seats, especially at the small sealing diameters in these regulators (a few thousandths of an inch makes a significant difference)
2. Very defined and stable minimum diameter (throttling location) to accomplish (1.) above
3. Opening and closing without changing the "fluid dynamic force" on the poppet which is opposing a fixed spring force. -------------result of (1.) & (2.) above

The fix is probably a redesign of the nozzle/seat and spindle at the least.

I us to Make my own adjustable regulators out of stock ones by cutting the top off and JB welding a machined aluminum cap on it. Still have some of the caps and spring seats. They worked as well as any of today's regulators. Back when I did it, ATR was drilling holes through the flange and bolting it on. They often leaked vacuum/boost. They later put screws through the side.

I think the issue of the fuel pressure jumping around could be related to how big the injectors are.....

This would be due to the amount of fuel being injected at various rpms....in the import world they have a damper atteched to the fuel rail to help ease the pulsating effect on the regulator...

Try this I'll bet when you put the car into batch fire mode the fuel pressure moves a lot more vs Sfi.

There could be other factors at work to. Like how smooth of flow is the fuel up to the rail and thru the rail. If there is any turbulence in the fuel along the way that energy is being shown in the fuel pressures moving around. The best way to test this is use the same test car for different regulator so the testing is done in the same repeatable manner .

I might set up a complete fuel system and do some testing I'll just have to create a way to drive injectors...

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

In the FWIW dept:
My inj bench is batch fire. it's powered w/ a Holley pump. On any size inj, the gauge is constantly fluctuating. Put it in static mode, and the gauge remains steady. Pump pulses don't seem to show up. The bigger the inj, the higher the fluctuation.
Am considering changing to a GM 411 [LS] pcm, and going sequential.

My buddy's car did not hold fuel pressure at the rail. Had an Accufab fuel pressure regulator and suspecting it was bad, he purchased a replacement from a well known board vendor. That did not resolve the issue so we verified the gauge, injectors and pump. He did not want to return the units because they were technically used, altough only used on a new setup and 0 miles.

Told him to drop both FPRs off for inspection. Attached are pics of the first and second unit.

Attachments

• 20160609_214212.jpg
    20160609_214212.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 282
  • 20160609_214247.jpg
    20160609_214247.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 286
  • 20160609_215708.jpg
    20160609_215708.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 286
  • 20160609_215740.jpg
    20160609_215740.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 282
Last edited:
So my buddy installed a Kirban unit and problem solved. Clearly, the following can be concluded:

1-Accufab doesn't give a crap about their product, reputation, or customer perception.
2-Accufab changed the design to save cost. It still does not work. Still crap.
3-Purchasing parts from known and respected Buick vendors means nothing.
4-YOU, as the end user, still have to inspect every new part, and never take your passion and pride in the work YOU do and expect for granted.

There is way too much of this going on and I am in the process of developing a process to correct some quality issues.

Google search terms:
Accufab fuel pressure regulator fpr fail junk leaking not holding pressure

Last edited:
Fwiw:
The old revision Accuflop has a better seat design than the Kirban unit. The Kirban has a better lower body design and the oem has the best seat/disk ratio and the most suitable spring. Maybe someone will start listening . . . Lol

How about the Aeromotive or the Racetronix? Anyone have any experience with these? Are they okay? Looking for a new regulator for my 87 GN to replace the original stock one.
John

I'll never purchase or recommend an Accuflub afr to anyone, ever, they don't give a flg their product is junk.