Read it and weep!

Chuck Leeper

Toxic old bastard
Staff member
It looks like someone's previous post about rollbars for t-top cars has come to pass. In addition to NHRA screwing the sportsman racers to death, they've gotten to the BUICK group too.
Here's the newest off of NHRA rules for 2004.
Other rules changes by category:

E.T. brackets
In Super Pro, Pro, and Sportsman, T-top design vehicles will be required to have a roll bar if the car runs between 11.00 and 11.99; and a roll cage if the vehicle runs 10.99 or quicker.

The beat goes on!
:mad:
It's a most transparent attempt to get to "pro only" racing w/ this bunch...That and the BS w/ the "sport compact" and pro mod and nitro Harley crowd as "exhibition" classes...
A sad day for dragracings grass roots group.:(

http://www.nhra.com/2003/news/october/102302.html

Yeah that really sucks for those racers that have T-top cars..... A bunch of the LS1/LT1 4th gen F-body racers that I know will be very pissed!!!!

Glad my local track is IHRA... 'cause I BETTER be in the 11s next year!

Last I heard it's not true and there is a screw up on NHRA's website - at least that was the talk at englishtown today at the GMHTP shootout

And I hope it's not true as I too have a t-top car :(

Steve

E.T. brackets
In Super Pro, Pro, and Sportsman, T-top design vehicles will be required to have a roll bar if the car runs between 11.00 and 11.99; and a roll cage if the vehicle runs 10.99 or quicker.

i thought that if you were quicker then 11.99 no matter what you had to have a roll bar? i think thats what my local track says in there rules... when i find them, i will check...

-Neil

Originally posted by Vendor Defendor
i thought that if you were quicker then 11.99 no matter what you had to have a roll bar? i think thats what my local track says in there rules... when i find them, i will check...

-Neil

Neil I think what this means (and correct me if I'm wrong Chuck) is that if you run faster than 10.99 in a T-top car a roll bar which used to satisfy the rules isn't good enough anymore. Now you must have a complete cage in the car.

yeah, i got this from the Moroso site:

• Valid State Issued driver's license. If under 18 years of age, must have minor waiver signed by a parent or guardian.
  • Long pants and full T-shirts required. No tank tops.
  • Radiator catch can overflow - at least one pint.
  • Seat Belts
  • Hub caps and trim rings removed.
  • No cracks in windshield.
  • Tires good.
  • If using nitrous oxide system, car must have sticker in rear window. If bottle is in driver's compartment, it must have relief valve vented outside of compartment.
  • 13.99 or quicker must have Snell 90, 95 or 2000 helmet.
  • Convertibles running 13.99 or quicker, as well as all cars running 11.99 or quicker must have roll bar.
  • All must have neutral safety switch and and reverse lockout.
  • Automatic transmission lines must be high pressure type.
  • Pressurized containers (i.e. air bottles) must be D.O.T. approved.
  • Hood scoops may not extend more than 1 inch above original hood surface.
  • Carb return springs
  • linkage altered, must have toe loop on pedal.
  • Operating tail lights (no blinking or flashing lights)
  • All holes in floor, firewall and rear, must be plugged.
  • Fuel block or regulator must be 6 inches from firewall, also NOS solenoids.
  • More than 12 inches of rubber hose in fuel system, from tank to carb.
  • No fuel lines in driver's compartment.
  • Retention strap mandatory with traction bars.
  • Drive shaft loop required 13.99 or quicker.
  • Jacket required 3.2A/1
  • Only factory tint on windows.
  • Must have metal valve stems.

http://www.morosomotorsportspark.com/dsinfo.html

:confused:

-Neil

Exactly right!

Originally posted by TRBON8R
Neil I think what this means (and correct me if I'm wrong Chuck) is that if you run faster than 10.99 in a T-top car a roll bar which used to satisfy the rules isn't good enough anymore. Now you must have a complete cage in the car.

VD, goto the site I posted in the original post and see the words from the horses mouth...;)

I fail to see where this applies to most Buick racers?

The majority of the street driven turbo Buicks I know of would NOT fall into the Sportsman or E.T. catagories. They should [and do locally] run under the Stock or maybe Super Stock classifications?

Chuck, clarify the "high gear" transbrake. I interpret the rule as a separate arm button that must be held to arm the transbrake, then another button to engage it. Does this mean say for instance, my T-brake on my TH-400, or is this for something else, heck I could use another thing to do anyways, it's not like this is simple.

I have a cage already in my car, so they can eat it.

Ted

Originally posted by slamming 6
For safetys sake hell ya you have to have a rool bar anyways at that ET its just afew extra bars.

Yeah, but the bar gets in the way of the rear view mirror, and the T-top levers are something to consider too.

????

Originally posted by Nick Micale
I fail to see where this applies to most Buick racers?

The majority of the street driven turbo Buicks I know of would NOT fall into the Sportsman or E.T. catagories. They should [and do locally] run under the Stock or maybe Super Stock classifications?

At your age, you'd be lucky to see the green lite!!!:D :D

Re: ????

Originally posted by Chuck Leeper
At your age, you'd be lucky to see the green lite!!!:D :D

You are WAY off topic with this post!:rolleyes:

Besides, I don't wait for the green, with my reflexes I let go of the button when I see yellow.:D