Rear main seal question

dragrazor

Before i ask, I have done a search on here and other sites but have not found a place that shows pictures of a rear main seal part# fel-pro BS 40613 which is the neoprene seal. The concensus is to go with this one instead of the rope seal. The problem is that in my search, i have gotten different opinions on whether to use the side seals with the pins or use rtv sealant. Does anyone have a link to properly installing this seal so that it wont leak? Any tips to installing it? Sorry if this has been beat up but i could not find too much on this. Also, pictures do help if anyone has any. The instructions that come with the kit aren't the best. Thank you in advance.

x2 on "the right stuff".. That sealant works great. I did my rear mains and used the RTV and still get a slight dribble. I used the right stuff instead of an oil pan gasket on another car and there were absolutely no leaks!

Try doing what I did. I don't have any leaks. I'm a complete greenhorn to rear main seals and stuff like that, did it my first time and no issues.

1. Use the neoprene seal, fel-pro one.
2. Use the side neoprene rubber seals with the pins but before you put those it jam some rtv silicone in there along with all the mating surfaces after being cleaned.
3. Put it together and give it a full 24 hours for guaranteed sealing. Or at least a few hours in hot weather.
4. Grab a cold one and sit back in amazement.

You can spread some of your favorite silicone "sauce" where the cap meets the block both inside of the oil pan and also on the outside as well.

Good Luck !!!

A VERY light smear of silicone sealer on the cap face.
Turn the seal so that the parting line is not at the cap parting line. I usually do 1/8/-3/16". Takes a bit of finese, but works.
Some even put a light smear on the ends of the seal 1/2's.

MAKE SURE the PCV system works!