rebuilding from limit or precision..

Turbo6Smackdown

a quick question.. i see these nice rebuilt turbos comin back from these shops, and they look all nice and shiny... is hot tanking then media blasting before the rebuild standard operating procedures? I would hope so for 250 dollars...

a quick question.. i see these nice rebuilt turbos comin back from these shops, and they look all nice and shiny... is hot tanking then media blasting before the rebuild standard operating procedures? I would hope so for 250 dollars...

$250. for a rebuild ?.., or clean-up and inspect for $250.?
As far as being shiny I would think in order to rebuild and balance a turbo
properly tank & media would be done no question.

I spent $350 from PTE about 4 years ago on a full TA49 rebuild so $250 is not going to cut it now a days.

I personally would not spend the $$ to rebuild a stock turbo, especially when vendors have sales on the 6152E for $750 ( I have this in my 2.0 Talon :D )

"You may send us your turbo for a free estimate. Upon receipt of you turbo, we will inspect it and give a free quote for repair. If all your turbo requires is bearings, seals, balancing, and cleaing, your price $275.00, plus freight. If your turbo requires extra parts, we will quote those additional parts as an adder. If you approve the quote, we will repair and return using your charge card or COD shipping. If you do not approve our quote, we will ship the unit back for the freight cost only. If you order a rebuilt turbo, you will be charged a core charge. The refund will be issued on this core charge, only after we receive and inspect your good, rebuildable core. You will be responsible for any damage repairs to your core."

From turbochargers.com. Sounds good to me.

A more costlier rebuild, is when you start to get signs of your turbo goin, ie. more smoke than usual, the typical "turbo whine" getting a tad louder, reduced boost, oil in places it shouldnt be, etc etc. and you keep runnin it anyways. I looked at mine, when the whine got a little 'whinier', and at that point, upon initial inspection, seen oil, where oil shouldnt be, so i checked shaft play/thrust, and wasnt satisfied it was as tight as it should be so i yanked it.... Not doing that, is when rebuilds start going up to 500 bucks or so....

You can get a CHRA from Precision and be done with it, probably the best way to go if you just want a stock turbo.

470 dollars for a rebuild? i could buy a brand new ta49 for that much lol.

Big shaft turbo was a TE45a and it needed new wheels.

Sooooo where is this place that you say a brand new ta49 turbo can be purchased for 470:wink:

You could either buy a used one, but i highly doubt it would last too long...

Then again, i have purchased 2 used ones here in the past, both are currently on my cars. I believe i paid 60.00 for one, and about 100.00 for the other one.
Both have seen low 12s, and one has been 11.76 so far:biggrin:

What is a CHRA?

Center Housing Rotating Assembly = CHRA

The turbo minus the Exhaust housing and the compressor cover. You can reuse those from the old turbo.

Dan

Limit did a total rebuild on a te44 for $350...the turbo looks new and has performed flawlessly..they will get more of my business..............Bob:smile:

Gotta remember..that although most turbos share parts they are not created equal. Thrust systems , wheels and seals vary between models. This can greatly increase the price of a rebuild. So the quote of 250.00 sounds like a basic quote that can easily end up in the 400-500 range when done. Been there done that...

If you read the add, it says basically $250 at the low end and up. After they take it apart if you don't like their estimate, they will ship you back a box of parts. They are willing to eat the disassembly should you opt not to rebuild.

i know im splitting hairs now but, Im that curious. What if you never really let the turbo go in the first place. The second you knew something was up, you sent it. No blade contact, no foriegn debris, no lack of lubrication, nothing like that. Whats the typical things that wear in a turbo. I'm guessing bearings and seals? (ive no clue) :confused:
IF, thats all they have to replace, what do you think that would cost on a stock turbo? Ballpark?