Rebuilt 2004r with low pressure and no rise from tv.

The pressure is way too low. Looks like you have some other issues. I would get rid of that reverse boost valve. I can set you up with correct pressure circuit. I also can set you up with the correct parts to make a CR work correctly. The trans will fail from lack of pressure and cost you more money. Call me if interested....

It's in a '77 Nova, behind a very mild big block. Maybe 450hp/450tq. I took it for a short drive today, was gentle with it and did not push the car at all. It upshifted through the gears, had slightly firm shifts. I didn't feel any kind of slip at all, but I'm also not sure if it shifted into overdrive. It felt like it took off in 1st, so I don't think I've got a 2nd gear start, and I could feel the 1/2 and 2/3 but did not feel the 4th gear shift. I do not have the lockup wired in yet, so there was no rpm drop. I ended up at 2400rpms going 60. I have 3.42 gears.

It's in a '77 Nova, behind a very mild big block. Maybe 450hp/450tq. I took it for a short drive today, was gentle with it and did not push the car at all. It upshifted through the gears, had slightly firm shifts. I didn't feel any kind of slip at all, but I'm also not sure if it shifted into overdrive. It felt like it took off in 1st, so I don't think I've got a 2nd gear start, and I could feel the 1/2 and 2/3 but did not feel the 4th gear shift. I do not have the lockup wired in yet, so there was no rpm drop. I ended up at 2400rpms going 60. I have 3.42 gears.
That's some "need to know" information. I think the pressures are going to have to be a little higher in the transmission to handle the torque of a big block chevy. I'm sure Dave can fix you up with a spring and boost valve setup that will meet your needs. What valve body are you using. I would think with a CR valve body and governor the transmission would shift a little early with 3.42 gears.

That's some "need to know" information. I think the pressures are going to have to be a little higher in the transmission to handle the torque of a big block chevy. I'm sure Dave can fix you up with a spring and boost valve setup that will meet your needs. What valve body are you using. I would think with a CR valve body and governor the transmission would shift a little early with 3.42 gears.
Currently have only a CR valve body, which is on the trans, and an OG, which from my research was one of the worst to use. I actually bought a pair of these trans. The one I rebuilt(the CR), which was original to the sellers car, he had played with the t.v. trying to get harder shifts and ended up with a slipping trans. The other(the OG) he had bought rebuilt and installed and drove it 3 weeks with it slipping on shifts, until it had lost all gears. I dropped the pan on the OG first, because it was so clean on the outside, but the fluid that came out of it was black and is the worst smelling fluid I had ever encountered. There was so much clutch material in the pan it looked like mud. The CR was very clean inside, didn't smell burnt at all, the fluid was bright red. The only clutches I found burnt were the overrun clutches. The steels were hot spotted as well. The rest of the clutches had almost as much material as those I put in.

As far as quick shifting, I was pretty easy on it, but 1/2 was about 15mph, and I think the 2/3 was about 30. I was honestly paying more attention to the feel of the shifts than at what speed they happened. Definitely didn't feel like they took place real early or like they were stacked.

And another question(sorry), why do people leave the tv exhaust valve and check ball out? I put mine back in, I'm not sure if that has an effect on the pressures I'm seeing, but I couldn't really find an answer for why to leave it out. What I did read said that if the tv cable became disconnected without it, the clutches would burn up quick.

With that CR code I would definitely give Dave H a call and get the boost setup he recommends as well as anything else he deems necessary to get it shifting well. That is a pretty big jump(three times at least) as the factory set that trans up for so it needs all the help it can get to keep it shifting.

Installed a CKPerformance extreme duty pressure regulation system today. .555 boost valve, .300 reverse boost valve, high pressure regulator spring and PR valve. I have much better readings now. Let me know if this looks better to you guys. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• IMG_20180514_205351549.jpg
    IMG_20180514_205351549.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20180519_211603501.jpg
    IMG_20180519_211603501.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 63