You can type here any text you want

Recommendations on Scales

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Hot Air

E85 and S.E./Carolinas Moderator
Staff member
Thinking seriously about purchasing a 4 scale system to set my chassis up for autocross, drag, street, or whatever. Will have Ridetech coil-overs on all 4 corners. Not sure about need for complex computer to track everything. Anyone suggest a decent scale system at a reasonable price?
Conrad

Longacre scales and tools. My favorite.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

You can find used ones on racingjunk.com

Specific model? What to buy? What NOT to buy? Options?
Conrad

I like to use Intercomp products but all makes will work fine. All of the "pad style" scales you need to lower the car onto them Or use ramps to drive onto them. I just jack the car up in the air with two jacks slide the scales under each tire and lower the car down gently.

http://www.intercomp-racing.com/Products/SW500_E-Z_WEIGH_SCALE_900.cfm

PS: If your going this far, it's nice to have the scale stand!
http://www.intercomp-racing.com/Products/SCALE_CART_672.cfm

Scale Levelers if your Not on a completely level surface:
http://www.intercomp-racing.com/Products/SCALE_PAD_LEVELER_706.cfm

If you are corner weighting the car, you need to be able to roll the car back and forth, so the rack is important. Especially if you are doing caster/camber adjustments on a car.

The drawback with lifting and lowering the car is that you'll never get it 100% down to height. It has to be driven onto what ever you're using. On an alignment machine the pads move so it will get as close as possible and on the newer machines you don't have to lift the vehicle up to put the heads on. You drive it on and attach the heads, then roll it back and fourth to compensate them. This is done so that the vehicle will be as close as possible to the correct ride height.

Like notacarlo said, Longacre has been around for a while and any of their scales will do what you want. With things like they are now people are getting out of racing so you should be able to pick a used unit up fairly cheaply and in good shape. Check all the racing sites as well as evilbay and you should find what you need Conrad.;)

I should add that when I lower the front of my car onto scales I use a 10"x 10" thin piece of aluminum and some WD40 on the front scales which acts as a swivel point for the front tires..... The same way DSE did it at their facility! ;)

Longacre OR Intercomp either scale will work perfect for you Conrad...Buy some plastic "Race Ramps" and your set!

Intercomp is the official Tech scales for the following Plus they are $400 LESS than the longacre scales:
USMTS, ARCA, IMCA, DIRT, AHDRA, UMP, AMA, MASCA, SCCA World Challenge, Indiana Late Model Series, All Star Sprints, INEX 600 Racing, NALMS, FASCAR, ASA Southwest, and ASA Midwest.

As long as they perform as needed, but if the difference is a couple hundred, I'd go with longacre or intercomp. Why?

20 years from now I know those two will still be dead on and working. That's what I would want if I were serious about road racing or SCCA, NASA.

Back