You can type here any text you want

Red Armstrong XP Pump?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
I bought one from Lou Czarnota a few months back...not sure where he gets them from.

There is nothing special about a "Reds Pump":rolleyes: I am so tired of that BS...

He is not a vendor here... Please support the vendors on this board...

Racetronix has some fine stuff, as well as full throttle, cottons , etc. Look at the list of vendors on teh home page

The XP pump was okay back in the day but the Walbro stuff flows more.

There used to be a lot of folklore and old wives tales about what the XP pump actually was. Ive heard anywhere from a shimmed up Syclone pump to some kind of alternate fuel vehicle pump to something the fuel pump gnomes carved out of a solid chunk of polyester and bestowed on Red...

Either way, the newer Walbro stuff is better.

Delete the thread.

I understand this issue with vendors, just delete the tread and I will buy one from them I was just asked I would look into these. I need a new one and didn't know where to go. Thanks and sorry to the supporting vendors!:)

Cottons carries them if you're set on a xd. Cotton will never steer you wrong.

Testing has confirmed that the XP pump does outflow any other pump, believe what you want. Now the question is how fast do you want to go. I have gone 126mph with a single Walbro 340 with no volt booster, it was done at this level, it was lean, and adding pulse width didn't help. I added a volt booster, and my O2's were rich again, so a single Walbro 340 will go as far if no beyond what a stock bottom end will go safely. If you are in the 10's you should be looking into a DP anyway no matter what single you have.

When at Richard Clarks about a year back we did a pump change in my GN, he told me he had actually flow tested all the available pumps a few years back and the Reds XP flowed the best. For purpose of accuracy I have no idea how long ago these tests had been done... maybe RC can chime in... :confused:

I wish some of the vendors and others in the know would speak up on this one... I have heard just about every vendor mention this fact...

There is no secret to the pump...

I have some pressure-vs-flow plots of the XP (I think some are still on the gnttype site). From the plots shown, it does have a little bit more oomph than the 340. And it's more noticeable as pressure increases. But I still believe it's a 340 (or 307). I think that they are tested and hand-picked production units that just happen to have a bit more juice than the average unit. I also feel that the pressure relief valve is set at a higher pressure (look at how the flow of the 2 falls off differently as pressure increases).

He actually blocks the pressure relief valve, don't know what pump is used. I'm not up on all the new pumps though, a lot has changed since 1988 on the TR. (my starting year on TRs) Owned 1 from new and another from 7K miles and now a antique one. Of course support our site vendors, some great ones TOO! Bought from most of them in the past and with excellant results. My .02$ Gene

Been a few years for me ...Does the xp have a tie wrap around it when hes done with his mods?
If so I had one of them start pulling a ton of amps and burnt up my Caspers hotwire, it was 3 years old.
FT walbro 340 now..real one

Yeper, it does have a Ty around it. Also his instructions show how to flair the feed pipe to enhance the flow. I also ran the ATR Double Pump and Hot Wire Kit with some mods, ran this set-up for yrs with no problems. Old News I know but the TR needs a lot of fuel plus a lot of rear tire to hook-up, in my opinion. I also like the Staged Set Up with dual fuel pumps. My Humble Opinion. GL Gene

Back