You can type here any text you want

Red Armstrong XP Pump?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Testing has confirmed that the XP pump does outflow any other pump, believe what you want.

When is the last time you did some testing?:

RX-307vs340-s.jpg

Up until around year 2K the Walbro GSS307 and GSS340 shared all the same parts. The only difference was that the GSS340 had a heavier spring in its pressure relief valve. This allowed the GSS340 to operate at higher pressures before the valve would open to dump fuel back in the tank. People soon realized that by shimming / modifying the spring on the GSS307 the same performance could be had at a lesser price. The pressure relief valve is an important safety feature which prevents dangerous pressures being built up in the fuel system should the pump's outlet become restricted. Many vendors and customers started modifying the valve which must have been one of the contributing factors to Walbro's design changes to these pumps. Racetronix has seen performance tests conducted on GSS307 pumps many years ago where a shimmed GSS307 would outperform a GSS340. This data would be accurate in its day when both pumps shared the same armature but this no longer holds true. The sad part is that certain vendors use this dated information to sell customers on modified GSS307s just for the sake of putting a few extra dollars in their pockets. Current production GSS307 and GSS340 pumps no longer have an opening in the cap allowing access to the valve's spring. Now they either smack the retainer down or epoxy the discharge hole. The current GSS307 has an armature design which is different from all of the GSS34x pumps in Walbro's lineup. This encapsulated armature is better suited to the lower pressure applications (under 60PSI) for which the GSS307 was originally intended. When compared to a GSS340 the GSS307 will draw more current to produce the same pressure. Many would ask why offer the GSS307 if the GSS340 can provide better performance all around? Perhaps the original idea was the price point? At one time normal retail on a Walbro GSS307 pump was around $200US. Today it is not uncommon to see the same product being sold for around $100.00. The cost difference between the two pumps is only a few dollars. Racetronix has therefore decided to discontinue offering the GSS307. Where applicable current product will be bundled with GSS340 pumps only. We believe this is in the best interest of our customers. Please see our info on Walbro's release of the F20000169 pump which was designed to replace the GSS340M which is a GSS340 with a machined inlet.

Racetronics, great stuff and thanks for providing this info. A lot has changed over the years, fuel pump and turbos heads the list. Do your research before buying any parts and save your hard earned cash! Most vendors will give you their best advice to meet your performance goals. My .02$. Gene

I bought a dp from Red about six years ago - the pumps where ground down where they said walbro. I think they are 340's with maybe a slight mod at best!!

Yeper, it does have a Ty around it. Also his instructions show how to flair the feed pipe to enhance the flow. I also ran the ATR Double Pump and Hot Wire Kit with some mods, ran this set-up for yrs with no problems. Old News I know but the TR needs a lot of fuel plus a lot of rear tire to hook-up, in my opinion. I also like the Staged Set Up with dual fuel pumps. My Humble Opinion. GL Gene

Yeah trhats the one I had ...I was so pissed. Than k god teh car died 2 blocks from the house. Wires were so over temped the copper was showing and the conectors were burnt through the:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: .
The "xp" cost me..LOL

Well I just went to site to order but I will first have to check the wires. May have to order soon, but not today.

Yeah trhats the one I had ...I was so pissed. Than k god teh car died 2 blocks from the house. Wires were so over temped the copper was showing and the conectors were burnt through the:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: .
The "xp" cost me..LOL

The fuse should have kept blowing unless there were some resistance issues with the terminals or wiring?

I'm not for one pump or the other, I'm only going by what has worked the best for me in the past.
I think it would be nice to have someone like Richard Clark do testing on these pumps to just put all this talking to rest! What I don't understand is, If the XP pumps are supposed to be the same as the walbro 340's then why would anyone say that the new Walbro's flow more than the XP's? Couldn't the XP's be using the new Walbro's as well?

Yeah, there is Old testing done on all the existing pumps out there but what isn't out is a complete comparison test with the New existing pumps available today (excluding the supra pump).. That is what SHOULD be done so the Buick comunity can choose for themselves which pump they like best and want in there car instead of everyone that sells there choice of pump and saying their's are the better than others!

I would be happy to send Richard this brand new XP pump sitting right here for this testing.

It would be nice to see the results on this issue. I may just send him this pump anyway and ask him to test it's flow then I can compare it to the others.

Scot W.

The testing I am refering to was done by Richard Clark in the past year I believe. Either way, this website should be used to promote the Buick community, and answer questions. It should not promote certain vendors. If someone wants an XP pump over a Walbro that is their decision, nobody elses. It is not like Red was on here trying to sell something. Paying vendors have the right to openly sell and promote their products on this board. Trying to intercept business from a non paying vendor who is not even here, let alone promoting their products isn't right. Bottom line someone asked a question, and it was not allowed to be answered because of $$$$$.

I'm not for one pump or the other, I'm only going by what has worked the best for me in the past.
I think it would be nice to have someone like Richard Clark do testing on these pumps to just put all this talking to rest! What I don't understand is, If the XP pumps are supposed to be the same as the walbro 340's then why would anyone say that the new Walbro's flow more than the XP's? Couldn't the XP's be using the new Walbro's as well?

Yeah, there is Old testing done on all the existing pumps out there but what isn't out is a complete comparison test with the New existing pumps available today (excluding the supra pump).. That is what SHOULD be done so the Buick comunity can choose for themselves which pump they like best and want in there car instead of everyone that sells there choice of pump and saying their's are the better than others!

I would be happy to send Richard this brand new XP pump sitting right here for this testing.

It would be nice to see the results on this issue. I may just send him this pump anyway and ask him to test it's flow then I can compare it to the others.

Scot W.

I already have some tests kicking around showing the flow of a standard 340 and a 340 with its bypass valve blocked off. I will try to dig it up...
The only thing which changes is the volume drop off at higher pressures b/c the safety bypass does not open.

pump

well said!!!!!!!!!!!! Reds a great guy,hes done alot for the turbo regal crowd over the years

The testing I am refering to was done by Richard Clark in the past year I believe. Either way, this website should be used to promote the Buick community, and answer questions. It should not promote certain vendors. If someone wants an XP pump over a Walbro that is their decision, nobody elses. It is not like Red was on here trying to sell something. Paying vendors have the right to openly sell and promote their products on this board. Trying to intercept business from a non paying vendor who is not even here, let alone promoting their products isn't right. Bottom line someone asked a question, and it was not allowed to be answered because of $$$$$.

The dirty little secret that some people don't like to hear is that these forums survive b/c of PAYING vendors. Yes... that dirty little word MONEY.

I do not see anyone bashing Red here?

TB has been around for ages and nobody has stopped Red from coming on here to state his facts and it won't cost him anything to do it. There has been much Voo Doo magic passed around about these XP pumps. Bottom line is that they are a Walbro 255LPH pump which has had some simple external mod done to it. I am not the first to state this nor will I be the last. The gear set and armature are fixed and sealed in the pump so you are comparing apples and apples. If someone wants to seal off the BP valve (not recommended) they can do it at home with a small screwdriver and hammer.

The question was answered... Yes you can get them. I am going to allow a non paying vendors to advertise? NO!

It was plainly stated other vendors carry the product...

I stated my opinion. I don't want a non manufacture tinkering with a component as crucial as a fuel pump...

Here is some info which should be of interest to TR owners. It was arranged by Greg @ BlowerWorks. Greg is the same person who use to own Carrol Supercharging.

ME is a pump with its bypass valve blocked.

Attachments

Attachments

Red wasn't advertising, no one was. Someone wanted to know where to get an XP pump, and the phone number for the source was deleted. That is like asking where to get a lug nut and someone posting Summit and their phone number along with the part number. No one would care about that. I understand supporting the vendors that support this board to keep it going, but nobody said not to buy from any of them, just where to get a certain pump one person sells. Nothing was taken away from a supporting vendor. This site should be about free information, not so much about advertising, the advertising is just an added bonus.

xp

Red wasn't advertising, no one was. Someone wanted to know where to get an XP pump, and the phone number for the source was deleted. That is like asking where to get a lug nut and someone posting Summit and their phone number along with the part number. No one would care about that. I understand supporting the vendors that support this board to keep it going, but nobody said not to buy from any of them, just where to get a certain pump one person sells. Nothing was taken away from a supporting vendor. This site should be about free information, not so much about advertising, the advertising is just an added bonus.

+1 Owned:eek:

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/images/XP.gif

Not promoting Red at all and certainly not bashing Walbro. Put a Walbro 340 in my car in 2001 purchased from Racetronics with a hot wire kit. Got a great deal. The pump was in the car from then til 2008 when it died in the staging lanes for some T&T a week before BG. The plug in wire in the tank burned up. Can't believe the fuel didn't ignite. Needed a pump quick so I bought an XP since he is 30 mins from my house.
Say that to say this; the Walbro 340 served me well and I still have it. It still works and pumps fuel but I was skeptical to put it back in the car since I did not know why the wire cooked. XP is in the car now and does the job. I support the vendors on this site the best I can and use the homepage to search for parts, but if it is something I need immediately, I have the luxury of Red in my back yard. I also have Summit Racing 1.2 miles from my house but they are useless for our cars beyond being a G-body so they only get a few dollars from the convenience aspect:biggrin: In the end both pumps work for their intended purpose. Notwithstanding the Walbro problems late last year, buy what you feel confident in using.

Back