Redneck Radiator Flush

John Larkin

Sublime Master of Turbology
If I properly drain the radiator and block and overflow jug and dispose of the fluids at a recycling center, can I safely stick a hose in the radiator and run the car with the bottom radiator drain open to flush everything? I've done this before the EPA even existed on old cars once upon a time, but now I see the enviromental concerns of just dumping it on the ground. Yeah, water will get all over but will it cycle properly? I would then refill with distilled water and probably RMI or maybe just go back to a conventional mix of glycol/water.

It probably won't cycle very well. Thermonstat may not open with the cold water coming in.

If you do not want to go thru multiple drainings, the best way may be to remove the block plugs and drain the block.

Use RMI25 no matter what you do. One of its design features is to prevent antifreeze from depositing silicates throughout the system.

Ok Steve, thanks. :) This will be my first flush on the GN. The overflow is looking a bit dirty so I'm sure it's time.

I cleaned out my stock 200,000 mile radiator last year. I drained it, filled it back up and added scale removers, drove it around for a few days. Drained it again, filled it up with water and added an industrial strength cleaner. Drove it around for a week. Drained it again (15 years of sludge). I then did the distilled and rmi and it seems to run pretty cool now. I am going to buy a new radiator soon, but it isn't a priority now.

That sounds pretty good too. Simpler than my plan. What were the names of these products you used please?

i've flushed it with the hose - running the car at the same time
after 3 years with a new radiator and rmi every time - crystal clear flush!

I was afraid you were going to ask that. The first scale remover I used was just your typical stuff that you can get at any auto parts store. The industrial type stuff I got from rick at www.harpersracing.com. He had a bottle kicking around and just gave it to me. It was in a round yellow bottle with black print and a black cap. I'm going home for lunch I'll see if I have any of the stuff lying around.

By the way. Most of those cleaners tell you to drive it for a few hours to cycle it through the motor, so it was just as easy for me to drive it during the week and do the flush on the weekend, and then start over.

Originally posted by John Larkin
If I properly drain the radiator and block and overflow jug and dispose of the fluids at a recycling center, can I safely stick a hose in the radiator and run the car with the bottom radiator drain open to flush everything? I've done this before the EPA even existed on old cars once upon a time, but now I see the enviromental concerns of just dumping it on the ground.

There a no REAL environmental concerns with dumping antifreeze in the storm drain or pouring it down the sink. You just want to dillute it before animals can drink it or if you are on septic it MAY mess up your bacteria. Antifreeze breaks down in ultraviolet light and is completely safe for the environment.

Wackos will tell you that trace amounts of lead and heavy metals exist in antifreeze (from the solder joints in the radiator) that are above the PPM limits to be considered safe. So by dilluting the antifreeze with a little water even that concern is not valid.

Local tree huggers may have passed a law against antifreeze dumping, but the EPA will tell you to pour it down the toilet.

Different states have different laws with antifreeze. I dumped mine down the sink!

Sorry John I forgot to look. I'll see if I can remember this weekend and post it.

Danster, do a search on RMI. It is an additive that you put in the radiator in place of antifreeze. It lubricates and doesn't cause sludge buildup, it also works like redline water wetter. I forget where I got mine. There are a few vendors on here that sell it.