Extra additive for radiator beyond RMI-25?

John Larkin

Sublime Master of Turbology
I use RMI-25 and distilled water for my coolant and I had quite a bit off rusty goo in the filler neck and reservoir. I flushed it today using dishwasher liquid and about 20 gallons of rinsing. I re-added distilled water and 8 oz of RMI-25. Is there another additive to inhibit rust further?

By the way, when dumping radiator fluid of any type at home, use catch pans and buckets to take it indoors and pour it down the toilet. I had nosy neighbors watching me and am sure they would have freaked and called cops if I'd used the ditch, plain water or not.

I've always used water wetter from redline. We are talking 10+ performance cars, never a drop of rust

John,

Food for thought..... Remember that your block most likely will still have regular water in it; u less you drained the block by the drain plugs. So the regular water still has mineral deposit which will produce rust/corrosion and build up in your coolant system. Only thing you can do over time is drain a little water/coolant and add more distilled with RMI-25.

My cars in Az (100*) weather can sit and idle and never go over 170*. The rust floating on top needs to be scooped off.

'87 Turbo T w/E85, 224/224, ported iron heads and intake, 80 lbs injector, TE45A, GEN II, TT and EXTENDER EXTREME G, XP Double pumper and something secret, 86 T-TYPE (Kenne Bell test car) and '11 Tundra Limited Sent from my iPhone using Turbobuick

The rusty goo means the RMI is cleaning your system like it should. You did not have to clean it, just empty and add more RMI and it will keep working

Cool, thanks. I've tried getting to those block drains before and I was really afraid of rounding them off. They are square if I remember correctly, just a bit larger than 1/4". No problem with temps, 167 max. I had the radiator re-cored a couple years ago with a new brass core.

I use RMI-25 and distilled water for my coolant and I had quite a bit off rusty goo in the filler neck and reservoir. .....

This is EXACTALLY what RMI-25 is made to do! :)

It is the only product on the market that cleans cooling systems while it fully protects.

The procedure that I have recommended for years when first using RMI, is to drive the vehicle a few hundred miles, and then flush the system when you see the crud around the cap. This means it is doing the job properly.

RMI cleans rust and crud from the system and keeps it in suspension. When the solution is saturated, the crud will form, and it is time to do it again. It may take 2 or 3 flushes to clear the crud from a 25 year old block and cooling system.

We also recommend you flush and add RMI at least once a year if antifreeze is not used. In freezing temps, change it twice a year, as water and RMI will run cooler than antifreeze in the summer.

We have 25 year old vehicles using RMI that have original water pumps, radiators, heater cores because it is a complete cooling system additive, and the owners followed proper maintenance.

This was originally used in the diesel and stationary engine field as it did a superb job. It has been recommended by Cummings for use in their engines.

As far as Redline Waterwetter, you will not see rust and crud as it does NOT clean the system, and does not properly protect it either. But I can assure you, the same crud as John's is still in your block and cooling system.

I use WW before I found RMI almost 20 years ago, and it had so little protective additives that radiators would be rendered useless with corrosion because of lack of a proper additive package.

Instead of draining the crud down thru the core, use the garden hose and over fill the rad. Engine hot and running. [Unhook the overflow tank hose, so it doesn't get in there.] The crud will overflow, as it's floating on the top. I repeat this several times, over the period of a month, and notice that the amt of crud diminishes each time....
What Nick said about WW vs RMI....Exactly why I use the RMI. I get it from Nick.:D

I've been using RMI-25 since I redid my cooling system and couldn't be happier.

Beside using RMI-25 can you also use in conjunction with Red Line Water Wetter since it's claims to reduce temp by as much as 30*

Beside using RMI-25 can you also use in conjunction with Red Line Water Wetter since it's claims to reduce temp by as much as 30*

No reason to do that, RMI also contains a surficant to reduce system temperature by reducing surface tension.

The 30 degree claim is a little high, as 15-20 degree reduction is the normal improvement.

It also works well with antifreeze to lower system temps, and extends the like of antifreeze which contains minimal additives.

Just so you do not think I am just "making internet comments", I have spent 40 years here in the desert dealing with commercial and individuals vehicles and their cooling system problems. We have summer weeks where the temp daily high is over 110 degrees, and sometimes even greater, and I have had to keep some vehicles running reliably day and night.

Having tried every cooling product available, NONE so far has been able to match the performance of RMI-25. :)

No reason to do that, RMI also contains a surficant to reduce system temperature by reducing surface tension.

The 30 degree claim is a little high, as 15-20 degree reduction is the normal improvement.

It also works well with antifreeze to lower system temps, and extends the like of antifreeze which contains minimal additives.

Just so you do not think I am just "making internet comments", I have spent 40 years here in the desert dealing with commercial and individuals vehicles and their cooling system problems. We have summer weeks where the temp daily high is over 110 degrees, and sometimes even greater, and I have had to keep some vehicles running reliably day and night.

Having tried every cooling product available, NONE so far has been able to match the performance of RMI-25. :)

Hi Nick, Thanks for the info
I know from reading many threads on cooling everyone uses RMI-25; but this is why I ask about the Red Line Water Wetter system that Jegs site http://www.jegs.com/i/Red+Line+Oil/816/80204/10002/-1 claiming to reduce temp by as much as 30*. From your experience on RMI-25 how much temp. reduction have you notice?

.......1 claiming to reduce temp by as much as 30*. From your experience on RMI-25 how much temp. reduction have you notice?

The most immediate temp drop I have seen is just over 25 degrees, BUT this is flushing a system that has coolant [antifreeze?], and replacing it with just water and RMI.

You can reduce the cooling system temps just by removing the antifreeze as it does not transfer heat nearly as good as plain water. :)

When you add RMI to plain water, temp will decrease further because of the surficant in RMI.

Since RMI is the only additive I know, which is not caustic or corrosive, that will clean the system while you drive, and long term results will then increase as the crud and rust is removed to allow for better heat transfer.

The problem I had with Waterwetter years ago is that it does not contain enough additives to protect the system long term, as it will become corrosive [acidic].

Since we do not need or use antifreeze in our local cars, we may only flush the cooling once a year or longer, but we always re-fresh the RMI at regular intervals, usually 6 months.

I hope my information will help many owners, as my experience with RMI-25 has been excellent and un-bleminished in its results. :)

Without looking like a "shamless vendor", but wanting to help support the Buick community, especially with the coming summer heat, I want to make an offer to those wanting to try this great product.

For $20 I will ship two 8oz bottles of RMI-25 in the USA, and will offer anyone NOT satisified with the results, send back the remaining bottle, and I will give a full refund of your $20! :D

One bottle will treat cooling system of 5 gallons or less.

For those of you that have used this product, you are also welcome to this offer as well.

I hope my information will help many owners, as my experience with RMI-25 has been excellent and un-bleminished in its results. :)

Without looking like a "shamless vendor", but wanting to help support the Buick community, especially with the coming summer heat, I want to make an offer to those wanting to try this great product.

For $20 I will ship two 8oz bottles of RMI-25 in the USA, and will offer anyone NOT satisified with the results, send back the remaining bottle, and I will give a full refund of your $20! :D

For those of you that have used this product, you are also welcome to this offer as well.
i am in
Payment info please

Hi Nick,
Thanks again for being a mentor; providing us with good info, and for the offer as I will get this by beginning of month. This is what happens when you're retired. Inquire payment

I am "supposed" to be retired for the third time!

Payment is by check or MO to my address below, NO paypal or CC available.

I heard you; the word retired don't mean what it was years ago. At least now I work on our home, property, cook and help the neighbors. I also enjoy working on my 87 GN, to which there are times gives me Agita.