You can type here any text you want

Regal GS vs Camaro SS

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

fast86gn

Texas Moderator
Staff member
My son was in the Regal GS on Friday on the way to the bank, at a red light he came up on a Camaro SS, with the plates "1BDLS1" My son said he had good sounding exhaust. They started talking at the light. He said he recognized the car, from the track, he asked if it was supercharged, my son told him yeah. They took off from the light easy my son, said he nailed it at about 20mph (hit 11lbs of boost) the LS1 was a car length behind and couldn't catch him. He said he kept expecting him to fly around him but I guess he just didn't have enough of that "BDLS1" to catch the Buick :)

I'll be watching for this guy at the track in the Future.

Nice:cool:

I remember my first encounter with one of those Supercharged GS Regals. I was in the SVO crusing down the road headed for the drag. I was trying to pass some bronco but this Regal was a little to close. I really needed in the lane the Regal was in. Well finnay the Bronco moved and I gased it a little to get into the right lane in front of the Regal. I looked back thinking I had enough room and that dang Regal was real close to my bumper. So thinking this guy wanted to be a smart as in his grandpa car, I down shifted and nailed it WOT. Just when i thought I had enough room to make my lane change, this dude was on my bumper and pulling :eek: My car was stock at the time with a cracked mainifold. This time my car was actually making it's full stock 15psi. This guy pulled up at the next light and asked if my car was an SVO and which I replied yes. He really wanted to scope it out and needless to say I wanted to check his ride out for sure!

Once he poped his hood everything made sence. There sat a Supcharged 3800ci. I knew they installed these on some of the Regal but they usualy say Supercharged on the deck lid. This guy pulled all the badges off the car including the GS. He done a pully swap along with some misc things. That was a pretty sweet car, it had the stock chrome wheels, leather seats, and a Sun roof. That night made me think twice about 4 dr cars and why I had good parts for the SVO collecting dust in the garage.

If I was driving that SS I think I woulda ran it into the next tree!!! PS Shouldn't you kick your kids butt for street racing(LOL)??? I never told my dad about that stuff.:tongue:

nice the GTP's are the same way also they dont get much looks until they here the blower whine!! i love my L67 car great dails and fun racer!!

PS Shouldn't you kick your kids butt for street racing(LOL)??? I never told my dad about that stuff.:tongue:

The occasional spurt I don't worry about. It's his a$$ if he get's caught... besides he is 19, he is on his on. But it was my car :mad: ;)

hehe... i love regal GS'. there are a few ls1s around my town that i need to whoop up on as well when i get mine back running!

Such under-rated cars. GN's are great for going Fast with Class, speed and comfort married together. Well, hard to beat the comfort of my 99 Regal GS. Just a great combination of incredible comfort and performance, in a car that people can actually AFFORD. Best car I've ever owned, and one of these days when it does finally wear out, I want to find another one just like it to continue to be my daily driver. I love my GS, can you tell? It's got 8 years of hard driving on it, and I've replaced nothing...repeat NOTHING, but plugs and fluids. And she still scats.

Awesome kill! Wish I could find one of those in Great condition around here!

Shouldn't you kick your kids butt for street racing(LOL)??? I never told my dad about that stuff.:tongue:

I bet my Father has done & still does more street racing than I ever have:eek:

hey roc, mine will be for sale soon. i'm right next door here in oklahoma. it's in great shape, and will be running nice and fast with a freshly rebuilt motor and only 80k on the car. i just need some extra money to pay off student loans before i start law school.

What's the stock hp rating on the new 3800's? N/A and S/C? I met a guy who was telling me about his N/A '05 GP with 305 hp stock. He claimed to be a factory stage 3 :confused: car. I know modded S/C's could do this but from the factory I was thinking more like 250 ish for them and maybe 210 for the N/A. He also claims 105 in the quarter. I wanted to tell him it was total bs but I didn't want to be one of these people that knows more about a car than the owner. (You know, GN's only came in white, the GNX was twin turbo, etc.) :biggrin: He did sort of chuckle when I told him that a turbo Regal was only 245 hp stock. Of course, I did sorta fail to mention that mine wasn't stock. :wink:

I know there were some stage III Regals with 280 hp, not sure about the GP's but I'm sure they were available with them as well? Not a 100% sure about the hp #'s but 305 hp (at the flywheel) is not out of the realm. With my mods I'm in that ballpark and that is about what the Stage III set up offered. Better exhaust, smaller pulley, modded ECM etc.
I hope that answers your question?

He claimed 305 on a stage III n/a car. I couldn't see GM getting a n/a, 2 valve 3800 to that level in a production GP. 280 sounds a lot more reasonable in a s/c version. The whole conversation started when he asked me if he could have the supercharger off of my car.

maybe that guy has a grand prix GXP (with the LS-4 v8). they have about 305 hp stock, and trap 105 or so. Those have edged into the high 13s stock. and, of course, they are n/a. i dunno about any "stage 3" crap... the only car i know of that gm makes that they sell that kind of stuff for are the supercharged ecotec cars, the cobalt ss and the ion redline.

It is a series III engine, not stage III different series for different years, i believe that the Series III is 04' or 05' and newer.. not sure on power numbers, but even n/a they have a lot of snot!!

It could have the GXP model that would explain the 305hp.

There were Series I, II & III 3.8's but that has nothing to do with the Stage I, II & III's. I haven't seen this in the GP's from the factory but the Regals did offer these different levels of power on the 3800. The Stage I's were nothing more than dual exhaust, the Stage II's were exhaust and a cold air kit, the stage III's were the above stated and a 3.4 pulley.
Which all of this you can get from any vendor.

A few years back I was at a car show at a Buick/Pontiac dealer here in Plano they had a white Regal Stage III on there showroom floor, very nice but the price tag was Ouch! about $33,000 if I remember right. And this wasn't even a GSX which very few were made but around the same price.

Back