You can type here any text you want

relocation of IAT sensor for SD2

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

89mulletbird

I am getting my car ready for an SD2 chip and was looking where to reinstall the IAT sensor. The outlet neck of the stock IC looks like a nice place to drill/tap for the sensor, would this be OK? I have an alky jet in my up pipe.

You can still put it in the up, just keep it before the alky spray.

Posted to TurboBuick.com from my RAZR MAXX HD

I think the sensor is 1/4" NPT so I thought it might be easier to install in the outlet neck. I'm not sure how to get a good seal on it in the up pipe, because it curves and isn't think enough to tap threads into. I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't heat soak the sensor in the intercooler?

I have a polished stainless up pipe and it's fairly thin.

Here's where I mounted mine. I step drilled the up pipe, and tapped it with the 1/4" NPT tap. The up pipes are steel so they're plenty strong enough without a bung.

DSC_0265.JPG

Caspers sells an extension cable ...then you can drill and tap the intake or the doghouse

Bryan

Drill and tap the IC like your original idea. Thats where I put mine to keep the clutter down. Its always out of the way and the ugly sensor is hidden.

IMG_1487[2].JPG

Last edited:
In my unprofessional opinion, it's best to put it either on your upper plenum , intake spacer, or lower intake for a accurate reading. You want to know what the motor is seeing, not the intercooler pipe. I have mine installed in the back of the intake, and I also have alky too with no ill effects.

On my Dad's 109, it's installed at the back of his Precision plenum by the MSD coil.

Last edited:
In my unprofessional opinion, it's best to put it either on your upper plenum , intake spacer, or lower intake for a accurate reading. You want to know what the motor is seeing, not the intercooler pipe. I have mine installed in the back of the intake.

It is recommended from Eric to mount the sensor before the alky nozzle. This prevents the sensor from getting alky sprayed on it and giving the computer a false sense of rich/lean condition. If the SD2 didn't rely on this sensor for multiple things going on in the ECU, then you could mount it anywhere as it would just be a temp sensor. Not saying it can't be done tho.

Stick with what your tuner recommends. I got the FAST system and Cal tuned mine and likes it there.

I recently went through this so I figured I'll show you my solution. I bought an aluminum 3" intercooler to throttle body pipe from RJC and machined an aluminum bung to weld to it. I placed it underneath to hind the sensor. I've got a few extra of these aluminum bungs if you need one.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    598.6 KB · Views: 276
Back