Removing pressed wrist pin?

87we410877

Can i just press the stock wrist pins out of the rods or is there a special technique i should know about? Also, after cleaning everything up can i just press the pin back in? Or am i better off just leaving it in there and re-installing "dirty" pistons. My plan was to glass bead the pistons and re-ring them and re-instal them. Thanks!!!

Can i just press the stock wrist pins out of the rods or is there a special technique i should know about? Also, after cleaning everything up can i just press the pin back in? Or am i better off just leaving it in there and re-installing "dirty" pistons. My plan was to glass bead the pistons and re-ring them and re-instal them. Thanks!!!

PRESS EM OUT!! YOU WILL HEAR A SLIGHT BANG THEN IT WILL PRESS OUT SMOOTHLY. THERE IS A NICE TOOL I USED AT MY COUSINS MACHINE SHOP.. DON'T KNOW WHAT CALLED BUT I DID IT THE OTHER DAY AND IT WAS PRETTY SIMPLE! I HAVEN'T PRESSED THEM BACK TOGETHER BUT I'M SURE ITS A REVERSE PROCESS!

you can press the pistons apart but im pretty sure your not suppose to press them back together. if you do the pin will get scratched casuing burrs and then those will scratch up the piston where the pin rides. the way ive done it before was to press the pins out and then heat the connecting rod (piston pin side) in a connecting rod furnace to make the hole expand, and then reinstall the pin into the connecting rod and piston assembly. hope this helps!

you can press the pistons apart but im pretty sure your not suppose to press them back together. if you do the pin will get scratched casuing burrs and then those will scratch up the piston where the pin rides. the way ive done it before was to press the pins out and then heat the connecting rod (piston pin side) in a connecting rod furnace to make the hole expand, and then reinstall the pin into the connecting rod and piston assembly. hope this helps!

That sounds about right. Should i hone the rod bore where the pin goes or anything like that? or just leave it? Also, i dont have a connecting rod over nor did i know one even existed. Would i be able to heat the rod up with say a propane torch or MAP gas torch without deforming the rod? Thanks alot!!

I wouldn't press the pins out if your just doing a rering job. I'd clean them,or soak them in carb. cleaner, and if there is carbon on the tops of the pistons lightly buff them on a wire wheel on a bench grinder. Make sure to clean the ring grooves out good too. If you don't have a ring groove cleaner, take one of the old rings, break it in half, and use the factory edge of the ring to clean them out. If it was me, i wouldn't glass bead them, no need to press them apart, they press out hard, and you need the right tool for the piston and pin to do it.

don't press them apart

you run the risk of galling, scoring the piston, and/or deforming the piston.
I wouldn't glass bead them, theres a chance you wouldn't get all the beads out of the piston. soak em in carb cleaner, or wire brush them,
as said above, clean the ring groove, and let it go.
good luck

There is nothing wrong with disassembling the piston from the rod and glass beading. Protect the pin bore and DO NOT bead the pin bore unless you plan on pin fitting the pin back into the piston. CLEAN the pistons in solvent and then in hot soapy water and blow them dry. I've done lots of pistons this way without an issue.

Absolutely use the right fixture to press the pin out, or you will destroy the piston/pins/rods or (all or the above).

A "Rod Oven" is the correct method to heat the small end of the rod. The pins slip into the rod when the small end is heated. I don't think I'd use a torch. Any competent machine shop will have a rod oven.

I think i'll just leave em in and clean em up real good. I just like everything to look new when i re-assemble but i guess if it was fine before, why mess with it. Thanks alot everyone.