Removing the stock AC/Heat box and installing a vintage air under dash unit, has it been done?

Anyone get it installed yet? Details? Trying to decide how to run the heat and A/C lines. Also, what hoses and fittings to use?

Thanks

I have it. I love it! Nick installed it.
I have all Dakota Digital including the A/C controls. Looks great!

X3 for pictures and installation details!

Could you guys be more specific about what you want to see?

The Gen IV unit comes assembled and is ready to install in the dash. Once it is in place the duct hoses and vents need to be routed and put in place.

The electronic controls are mounted on a supplied adapter plate in place of the stock controls.

A switched power lead needs to be connected, and one wire needs to be run out to the dryer/compressor under the hood.

Here is the unit in place w/o the dash in the the car.

Relocated ECU 1.jpg

The person doing the installation must have the skill and experience to first remove the entire dash.

When that is done, all the factory AC parts, ducts, wiring and other items need to be removed from the car and dash.

The firewall opening will need to be trimmed at the top edge for clearance of the Gen IV unit to be bolted in place.

All the under dash AC and heater hoses are crimped and pre-assembled on the Gen IV so no plumbing is required there.

Ducting and dash adapters supplied will then be installed, and the new VA electronic control unit is mounted in place of the stock one.

Wiring is basically plug-and-play with the small VA control box, and switched power is the only connection needed under the dash. One control wire is run to the engine compartment for compressor switching.

The units installed in the field have been completed with no issues, and we are always available for tech help if needed. :)

The compressor, lines and other items under the hood vary depending on the engine and customer's preferences, as we do supply various parts if and when requested.

Hey Nick. Would you happen to have any pictures of the Dakota Digital HVAC controls? These are different from the knobs shown on your site I trust. Thanks.

We did install a Dakota Digital dash in a local GN conversion we did put the pics do not display the unit clearly.

It comes directly from DD, and is not normally stocked by Vintage Air.

Installed the box yesterday. I'd recommend drilling out the firewall mounting holes to give some extra room for the bolts. My plate didn't fit quite right. Not really a big deal. I also removed the inner fender wall for some extra room for installation. It really cleans up the engine bay.
image.jpg

Installed the box yesterday. I'd recommend drilling out the firewall mounting holes to give some extra room for the bolts. My plate didn't fit quite right. Not really a big deal. I also removed the inner fender wall for some extra room for installation. It really cleans up the engine bay. View attachment 254618
One day... one day.... one day....

Installed the box yesterday. I'd recommend drilling out the firewall mounting holes to give some extra room for the bolts. My plate didn't fit quite right. Not really a big deal. ......................

Mike, we have made the holes larger as we found these openings do vary.

Let me know if you need any help as the installation proceeds.