You can type here any text you want

Replacing AC System Q's

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TType85

TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
I am in the process of putting AC back on my 86. I had the compressor take a dump and replaced it with the AC delete pulley and removed the lines. I am running a stock location intercooler so the condenser is not stuck behind a FM. We don't get really hot here compared to places like AZ.

I have almost all the parts I need to put it back together.
  • New AC Delco AC Compressor (15-20225)
  • New AC Delco Receiver/Dryer (15-1681)
  • New Spectra Condenser
  • New AC Lines (ordering when highway stars comes back from vacation)
  • New AC Delco Orifice Tube and assorted o-rings

Now on to the questions:
  1. Should I replace the evaporator?
  2. Will the newer design of the spectra condenser work better with 134a compared to the old stock one?
  3. If I replace the evaporator, is there a newer design that works better with 134a?
  4. Should I use the ford orifice tube instead of the GM one?

Good luck finding an evaporator that actually fits. Going thru the same project right now with my GN. Have replaced EVERYTHING except the evaporator. Pulled it out of the ac box so I could flush it out real well. Pulled a vacuum on it and let it sit overnight and held vacuum. Hope to have everything back together by middle of May. I am sticking with R12, found some so might as well.

I would stick with what works instead of second guessing what might fit. I just rebuild mine last night with all new Delco parts from Highway Stars. If your going the R-134-a route use at least 8 oz of Pag 150 in place of the mineral oil throughout the system.

1. Should I replace the evaporator?
  2. Will the newer design of the spectra condenser work better with 134a compared to the old stock one?
  3. If I replace the evaporator, is there a newer design that works better with 134a?
  4. Should I use the ford orifice tube instead of the GM one?

1. New evaporators are not available?

2.The spectra condenser is much more efficient than original.

3. See no. 1

4. There are orifice tubes that will perform better than stock, but best to check with your local AC supplier for an upgrade part to suit your needs.

Thanks for the input so far.

I'm just going to have to hope the evaporator is good! The system was charged before the car was put away in 2003-4ish and leaked out enough to not work when it came back out in 2011. The compressor was bad (leaking).

I've read a few threads about using 152a (air duster) instead of the 134a, not sure about doing that though.

I have found R-12 here for ~30-35/12oz can so I would need 4-5 of those to do R-12?

Don't be fooled! Not the correct one to fit our cars. The lower one in this pic is the correct one.

evaporator_comparison.jpg

I guess Highway Stars don't have anymore, that's where I got mine a few years ago.

If you buy one definitely get some measurements against your old one.

(Same procedure for the AC evaporator GM# 3056081---after market 6516) This is from Steve Woods Vortex Buicks site as well as the picture I posted. Don't want someone making the mistake of ordering that and not have it fit.

If it was the correct one I was going to be pissed anyway. I just buttoned my AC box back up the other day.

I am buying all new stuff to do my a.c. as this thread goes on. I am curious to see how others make out. I just found out by those threads about highway stars having the lines, a godsend. I may just buy a new compressor from them also since there is no telling what kind of condition the one I have is in.

Thanks for all the info guys.

I am buying all new stuff to do my a.c. as this thread goes on. I am curious to see how others make out. I just found out by those threads about highway stars having the lines, a godsend. I may just buy a new compressor from them also since there is no telling what kind of condition the one I have is in.

Thanks for all the info guys.
I think the new compressor is cheap insurance to make sure the system works. I put the new condenser in over the weekend and it fits fine and should do better with the 134a than the old one. i have a couple sets of AC lines but there is no saying if they will leak or not so I am buying the new set from Highway Stars (plus theirs is compatible with 134a vs the old hoses)

I think the new compressor is cheap insurance to make sure the system works. I put the new condenser in over the weekend and it fits fine and should do better with the 134a than the old one. i have a couple sets of AC lines but there is no saying if they will leak or not so I am buying the new set from Highway Stars (plus theirs is compatible with 134a vs the old hoses)
That is exactly what I was thinking, especially with the new double barrier AC lines.

I actually just hit highway stars today, looking for some under hood decals, and I don't see the lines listed. I am hoping they are just out of stock. I have to shoot them an email of give a call. I have the lines in my wishlist, hmmm

Just thought I would chime in on the evaporator solution. I got one like the one in mark's picture and cut off the tubes and welded my tubes on it. Seems to be working fine.

Back