You can type here any text you want

Resealed lifted head?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

we4Mateo

Double you eee what?
Just put a converter in the car before Winter storage and noticed some evidence of coolant on the outside of the motor towards the rear of each head. Obviously not where it should be or has ever been before. I had some voltage and fuel pump issues that are now corrected but it backfired BAD one day while passing a car on the way home from a track day. I think the heads lifted but they appear to have resealed. Anyone else ever been this lucky? I've had 2k or more miles on the car since the incident and it's not using coolant. I'll pull the plugs in the spring and replace and inspect the old ones. I don't want to pull the heads if I don't have to as they've never been off the car yet but with 65k now, I'm sure I'll break them sooner than later. Thoughts? I also have an rpm related tick that only occurs while driving at light throttle between 2-3k rpms but that's another thread. Driving me nuts though as I can't get it to do it in park or in gear with throttle without the car moving so it's hard to stethiscope it while moving! Love this thing...

Thoughts? Should I just replace the HGs or wait until they fully blow?

If this is mostly a street car I say don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Watch your knock and drive it until you either decide to go into the engine for something else or it finally blows.

If this is mostly a street car I say don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Watch your knock and drive it until you either decide to go into the engine for something else or it finally blows.

X2. Don't go looking for trouble. It knows where the car lives and will visit often enough.:biggrin:

Update...

My head had in fact lifted and resealed. You could see exhaust streams on the head side of the gasket but not the block side. My builder couldn't believe it but it was for sure coolant on my exhaust. My cam install turned into all new bearings all around and a new balancer too. All 6 of my rods ended up being bent a little causing the bearing wear that lead to my redo; we marked the bearings when tightening the caps when checking clearances during re-assembly and knew something was off. Machine shop straightened them right up for me though and the machinist stated he's seen plenty of stock rods be bent right from the factory. This morning the motor was taken out of the car and now it's a complete short block again and spinning freely and smoothly. Just need to slap the heads back on and reinstall in the morning. The bores were near perfect, no ridge at the top. Hopefully driving and having fun tomorrow afternoon. Thanks for all the help from this board and the experience of my builder and many others who paved the way for us current guys to not blow things up quite as bad or as often.

What cam did you install and which HG are you going to use??? What are your plans with the car once together??

What cam did you install and which HG are you going to use??? What are your plans with the car once together??

Erson 208/208 flat tappet. Stock head gaskets. I plan to drive the snot out of it for a long time. The car is back on the road and in my garage now.

Back