Returning Comp 853 lifters

M233roller..that's exactly what I am going to do. I intend to buy a set of Morrels because i think it would be a waist of time and potential money if I use Comp lifters again. And I also agree with you 100% In terms of a properly functioning valve train should not make noise with the exception of a solid cam/lifter. What kinda irritates me is that for amount of money I spent with comp on this cam kit I could have got a billet roller set up from Weber. I will know more on the extent of any damage when I pull the intake manifold soon.
Give us a call we will give you a good price on the Morrel lifters. Set up is everything but the link bars do move around and make a bit of noise I have never seen that or a tight lash solid for that matter set off the knock sensor

I have owned the Comp and Morel lifters when I had my LT1 Camaro SS. Lots of LT1 guys ran the Comp "R" series lifters, and had issues, particularly with the clip that held them together. The clip would break off and sit in the lifter valley. This happened to me with one of the "R" lifters. I pulled them out and I switched to the Morels. The Morels were a way better quality lifter. Plus they had the proper retaining clip to hold the plunger in and not a pressed in clip that's super thin. You will find some lenghty threads on the F body message boards about Comp lifters.

As for valvetrain noise, I think a major contributing factor is whether you are running a pedestal mount, or a shaft mount rocker system. In my experience the shafts have been more stable and quieter.

I'm not talking about sewing machine noise I'm talking about the clicking, clacking,tapping,freezing up,falling apart noise I experienced with those comp. cam pieces of junk. Sure different profiles and or preload might make some difference in the sewing machine type noise BUT as I stated a good correctly set up valve train a hydraulic lifter should not make ANY noise and I'm not talking about tie bar noise or solid type lifters. Fastv6henry's are terrible !! I've even had four or five of my buddies comment on how quite my engine is. I also know of several guys running comps. that are quite and several guys running Morrels that are pretty clicky.
Turbo Nasty you can differ all you want about what kind of noise lifters make and I'd recommend ANY brand of roller lifter, as long as it wasn't those comp. cam pieces of JUNK. Oh !! and it was DLS (Dan) that talked me into the econo roller cam kit.

I have owned the Comp and Morel lifters when I had my LT1 Camaro SS. Lots of LT1 guys ran the Comp "R" series lifters, and had issues, particularly with the clip that held them together. The clip would break off and sit in the lifter valley. This happened to me with one of the "R" lifters. I pulled them out and I switched to the Morels. The Morels were a way better quality lifter. Plus they had the proper retaining clip to hold the plunger in and not a pressed in clip that's super thin. You will find some lenghty threads on the F body message boards about Comp lifters.

As for valvetrain noise, I think a major contributing factor is whether you are running a pedestal mount, or a shaft mount rocker system. In my experience the shafts have been more stable and quieter.
The steel retainer clip the 885 lifter uses is prone to damage by the installer if the pushrod is not seated in the cup and the adjuster is screwed down. Its not a manufacturer defect but rather a careless install that damages the clips.The steel clip holds the plugger down in the bore. That's why it's used with that lifter. I've ran the 885 for years with zero issues and they can withstand tremendous open pressures without collapsing which is why I used so many of them and so many have been sold. It's about the only hyd lifter I'd use in a high performance v engine that is running aggressive ramps with high spring pressures.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

The video does not do his engine compartment justice. I recognize it from a local club meet and he has one of the nicer cars around. The quality of his work appears to be very good and I would be willing to bet the cam and lifter were installed correctly.

Yeah that's the way my engine sounds.

Had it freshened, no signs of odd wear. Spins to 6000 easy.

Walter

The video does not do his engine compartment justice. I recognize it from a local club meet and he has one of the nicer cars around. The quality of his work appears to be very good and I would be willing to bet the cam and lifter were installed correctly.

Thanks MikeT407. And your right the noise is not because i installed the lifters incorrectly. its the lifter itself. So i will inspect it when i pull them out i just hope that comp would acknowledge its a defect in the product. i have been purchasing from comp from a long time i hope they dont change my mind. Anyway i will give an update when i get them out of the car.

As soon as i get this issue resolved i will be back out to the meets.

Yeah that's the way my engine sounds.

Had it freshened, no signs of odd wear. Spins to 6000 easy.

Walter how long did you run the engine this way. And you mentioned you did not have any abnormal wear. Because mine is pretty loud as you can see in the video i would be surprised to see no cam wear, however the cam is new and i have good oil pressure cylinder pressure is also good. i am making alot of power but not as much as i should because the XFI is pulling timing out from the false knock due to the noise.

Ran the engine for 5 years like that. I pulled it cuz it had an odd startup knock, sounded like a rod. Engine builder found nothing. He thinks it was an issue with the HV cover. Only running a booster now.

Always good oil psi here. 60-70 psi at WOT.

Walter

I had a motor that had that weird startup knock and sometimes it did it just off idle, ended up being the cam button, it had a bad spring from the get, and the cam would move under certain loads and bang the front of the block

That is too noisey for a hyd roller, I would say you had a lobe going south if it was not a roller, what rocker arm are you running ?
when I had a set of Crane roller rockers lose bearings it sounded similar.

TurboNasty.. How are the lifters making the sewing machine noise? Is it tie-bar interference or week lifter inner spring. Also does the sewing machine noise give you any false knock?

Missed this question.....I have no false knock and have taken the car to 6000 rpm a few times. My take on it is the bar making some noise is its joined to the lifters via each pair of said lifters...2 per cyl.
So as the lifters do their jobs as a follower to the cam lobe the bar is going to be "See Sawing" if you will and the bar ends arent on a high tech pivot point and will make a sound as it does its movement.
To further explain where noise is coming from with a roller cam or valvetrain in general ......add to that rocker movement, spring psi's affect on all parts of valve train movement. Springs affect is deflection/movement of various valvetrain components as the lobe lifts and falls against valve spring psi.

In the video we arent talking a sewing machine...clearly its more than that.

My first thing would be to verify oil psi at idle and then lube to the top end both banks.
Check the rocker shaft hold down bolts, the rockers themselves...thats the pivots, a darn good visual, etc (also make sure your adjustment fastener isnt blocking internal lube through the rocker assembly...to deep or too shallow will block the oil flow).
Preload or Lash on lifters,
check lift to see if you have a bad lobe.
Then pull intake and check lifters.

Just a quick jist of some starter areas...Good luck and let us know.

I finally got around to pulling the intake and checking the lifters, instead of trying to explain it I just posted a video. I called Comp they are not going to refund me cash but I will get a credit with them so its kinds like cash I guess. Hey better than nothing.

No springs under plungers?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

That's what it really seems like. Well they are going back tomorrow and the Morels are already on they way. I just glad the Cam didn't get wiped out.

I hope Comps quality of lifters is not so bad that they just forget to put a spring inside two of the sixteen lifters.