You can type here any text you want

Reverse Cool a Stage Motor ?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Feeding water directly into the water jackets have my ears at attention. Do you know what the ID or OD of the plumbing feeding the water jackets is?
The powersource book shows 1.5" up to the pump, but no size given from the pump to the water jackets.
Thanks.

Sorry never answered your size question.

The freeze plug holes are 1.5" ID and the fabricated manifolds fitted into these are 1.125"ID. The intake to the manifold is just over 1" ID so the water velocity is slowed down to about 40% as it enters the block (vs pump outlet).

The return pipes are also 1.125" ID - two of them. There are two essentially separate water systems - one for each bank, including two rads - they join just before the water pump and then separate again immediately after the pump.

Sorry never answered your size question.

The freeze plug holes are 1.5" ID and the fabricated manifolds fitted into these are 1.125"ID. The intake to the manifold is just over 1" ID so the water velocity is slowed down to about 40% as it enters the block (vs pump outlet).

The return pipes are also 1.125" ID - two of them. There are two essentially separate water systems - one for each bank, including two rads - they join just before the water pump and then separate again immediately after the pump.
Thanks, Derek. Very interesting information. Are there any restrictors in the system, or does it look like the hose sizes do that job?

Derek. In one of the pictures showing your drive system, I noticed that there are no apparent breathers mounted to the valve covers. Could you go over the crankcase breather system? Thanks again. This is great stuff!

Water restrictions - I'm a great believer in a restrictor as the water leaves the head - keeps slightly higher pressure in the head and maybe helps prevent steam pockets. In the pic showing the front of my engine you will see the big aluminum 'blocks' on the heads - these are the upper engine mounts but also the water 'out' manifolds - you can just see the water tube on the RH head (left in pic). In machining these I built in a 3/4" ID restrictor - 'streamlined' upstream and downstream. Don't ask me if it works. I don't know. But I am over cooled!

Crankcase breathing - there's just one -6 hose breather from the LH rocker cover to the oil overflow tank on top of the oil reservoir in the gearbox case. I queried my previous engine builder about whether one on each side was needed and he said 'no'. So far no problem. I've never understood why the NASCAR rocker covers had such large breather pipes - maybe the higher RPM they used needed them. Or their wet sump.

Pic below shows some of this stuff - taken at Watkins Glen last year - that's my pal Pete- he just takes over at the track enabling me to sit down like an old man should!

glengarage.jpg

Wow. I love the picture of the car. Yes, I understand the need of a restrictor for the exact reason you mentioned. I use the size of the hose coming off each head as the restrictor. The size is -8 hose. It seems to be giving me just the right amount of cooling.
How is that plenum filter set up? What sort of material are you using?
Everytime you post a picture, my ears perk up. Great stuff!

Very interesting on the breather. It makes sense that you really wouldn't need a large size on that. I think I'm going to borrow that idea. I'm sure the crankcase is open to atmosphere somewhere. How is that set up? Is it off of the oil overflow tank? I noticed some sort of blocked off fitting coming off of the right valve cover in the picture of the front of the engine. Is that open to atmosphere?

Very interesting on the breather. It makes sense that you really wouldn't need a large size on that. I think I'm going to borrow that idea. I'm sure the crankcase is open to atmosphere somewhere. How is that set up? Is it off of the oil overflow tank? I noticed some sort of blocked off fitting coming off of the right valve cover in the picture of the front of the engine. Is that open to atmosphere?

All roadrace cars have to have "catch tanks" for all fluid vents. The green bottle you see is my coolant tank. The oil system vent is the -6 hose from the LH rocker cover to the 'tank' on top of the oil reservoir - then you can just see on the edge of the pic a black hose leading backwards - this leads to a small capless tank at the back of the car - which means it is vented to atmosphere. Actually the system is designed not to need that extra tank, any 'splurge' from the engine is collected by the main reservoir - but tech inspectors tend not to believe me so I added the extra tank. For these catch tanks I use aluminum drink bottles - lightweight and cheap - perfect.

The fitting on the front of the RH cover is simply because both covers are the same - it is capped.

How is that plenum filter set up? What sort of material are you using?

The Kinsler intakes come with trumpets which I wanted to retain. Tried various ideas - see first two pics - then ended up with the 'box' or 'plenum' idea - next pic of cardboard mock-up shows it clearly. The big problem was lack of space under the engine cover. The plenum also provides a convenient location for the MAP sensor. The big breakthrough was hitting on the idea of welding flanges on to the Kinsler trumpet which then bolt on to the floor of the plenum.

The filter material is just foam - https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/group.asp?GroupID=AIRFILTERFOAM - keeps out wandering wrenches and any passing buffalo.

Trumpet with screen.jpg

Trumpet with foam on screen.jpg

Trumpets 1.jpg

Air Clnr mockup 2.jpg

Air Clnr box.jpg

Air box with screen.jpg

Thanks, Derek. Very cool. The intake flares are very similar to what I want to make for my setup. Thanks for sharing.

Back