You can type here any text you want

ring problem

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

qws2000

Hey guys... I have a couple of questions, What happens if the rings are not properly put into the motor (on a fresh rebuild)87 109 block.. What would the car do? Also what would the best course of action be now,? Is there any way of knowing that the rings were installed incorectly?.... thanks you in advance for any help or comments

If they are installed in the wrong locations and or upside down there will be excessive blowby and if the second compression ring is upside down it will pull a lot of oil into the cylinder under high vacuum. Surprisingly reducing blow by does little for power. Even when it's really bad

I found oil in the hat, or the top of the throttle body, he took the car out with me, and made a 15 pound push from 1st into 2nd and smoke was everywhere, openend the hood and oil was all over... if you put the boost to 17pnds withalky it starts to knock, on the scanmaster,

do I just yank the motor out and start over? Im real pissed this known builder promised me a 10.50 to 11.20s car and I told him spare no expense, I want the car perfect, paid him ovr 20k just on motor and this is what I get.... I dnt kno who I can trust, feel robbed... So Sorry just had to get that off my chest...

Wow! Sorry to hear this.Where are you located because someone on this board will come help you identify the problems. There are a lot of good people on here. Good luck.

If this was built by a reputable builder, give them every option to make it right before you start having any other hands in on or around it....shit happens. Yes it sucks....but exhaust all options with him first.

Good luck.

1st MAKE SURE YOUR VALVE COVER BREATHERS ARE VENTING. You cannot use baffle grommets or solid grommets. They must be wide open.

2nd MAKE SURE YOUR PCV IS NOT LETTING BOOST INTO CRANK CASE.

Report back.

RL

TurboBuRick, I wanted to first off say thanks for your concern and all the help.. breathers r venting and He changed the pvc once, when this all started.....

if you unhook the pcv and cap it, and it still blows oil, then that would rule out the pcv. This was happening to me on my old rebuild- turned out to be a blown hg

Is this a fresh overbore? If not, the cylinders may be tapered and/or out of round. The only way to tell if the rings were installed incorrectly is to disassemble and inspect. If you are going to this extent, re-hone the block and replace the rings. Total Seal rings are my preference.

Dave

do I just yank the motor out and start over? Im real pissed this known builder promised me a 10.50 to 11.20s car and I told him spare no expense, I want the car perfect, paid him ovr 20k just on motor and this is what I get.... I dnt kno who I can trust, feel robbed... So Sorry just had to get that off my chest...

20k wow I would not put hands on it this might give the builder a way out by saying you coused the problem let the builder figure out what went wrong for 20k I think he should try and make it right

At $20K that engine builder should be on his knees trying to fix the problem. That's a lot of money for an engine build. I'd be pursuing legal action if the problem isn't corrected.

Good luck
~JM~

glok, the car was mostly finished we were waiting for the turbo, we had a TA 60 on just to move the car around, so I started the car and the bottom radator hose popped off... when I seen the smoke from motor I shut it off.. Car didnt hav 20miles on it.. Be very honest dnt know how hot it got? The car wasnt runing more than 45 seconds to 1min.. That is what the builder thinks happnd, the rings got wrecked from the heat.. I really dnt know? and at this point I dnt care.. We Talked, (the Builder and I) so we are pulling the motor and are going to start over again.. I just dnt want to miss a lot of time

Back