You can type here any text you want

rjc intercooler

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay it's all done. I still have a few loose ends to tie up (still have the questions above) but I drove it around a bit to make sure everything's kosher. Here's pics (ignore the partial white stripe on my front rub strip - I replaced it with a new one while I had the bumper off and haven't removed the rest of the white stripe):

http://www.turbojimmy.com/rjc_mega.html

Even though the pics all look the same, I tried to get the front at a few different angles. You can barely see the pipes with the ground fx in place.

I didn't mess with the grille. It's tight up against the tanks but it's more or less lined up. My sagging filler panels had me fooled before. It might be sticking out *a little* at the bottom but it's hard to tell.

It definitely heats up quicker, but the fans keep it right at 170 like they did before the FMIC install.
Jim

Looks good Jim. I still haven't installed mine (or my engine for that matter). I'm interested in hearing the answers to your install questions. What did you end up doing with the bottom attachment tabs, and would lyou be able to install the trans cooler in front of the rad. on the back of the crossbars?

chrisgarrett said:
Looks good Jim. I still haven't installed mine (or my engine for that matter). I'm interested in hearing the answers to your install questions. What did you end up doing with the bottom attachment tabs, and would lyou be able to install the trans cooler in front of the rad. on the back of the crossbars?

I didn't do anything with the attachment tabs yet. Since the bolts for the rubber thing go through there I can probably use those without puncturing the a/c condenser. But drilling is the problem. I'll have to lift the condenser out of the way to make sure I don't poke a hole in it.

The IC is tight against the crossbars so the trans cooler has to go somewhere else. I took it out for now.

The installation is pretty straightforward. The only thing I did that others might want to try is I cut notches in the bottom of the back of the grille directly beneath the left and right bolts so I could get a 3/8" socket and extension up to the bolts that hold the grille on. With the FMIC there, you can't get a straight shot at the bolts on the side (center one was okay) without a notch. I guess you could goof around with a universal, but I just cut notches. You can't really see them unless you're looking for them.

Jim

chrisgarrett said:
Can't you put the trans cooler behind the crossbars?

I don't think so. The cross bars are pretty close to the A/C condenser. My cooler is pretty thick. I'm going to pop a fan on it and put it under the battery.

Jim

Jim

I put my cooler between the air dams behind the license plate when I installed my Cotton's FMIC. Here's a thread with some pictures.FMIC install pictures

Or, if you want to swing by my place, you can check out my installation in person. The Cotton's and RJC coolers are very similar.

Mike

stickybones said:
Jim

I put my cooler between the air dams behind the license plate when I installed my Cotton's FMIC. Here's a thread with some pictures.FMIC install pictures

Or, if you want to swing by my place, you can check out my installation in person. The Cotton's and RJC coolers are very similar.

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for the info. I'd like to take a look if/when you're not busy.

Jim

Okay, since no one answered here are my answers to my own questions after a few weeks with this thing.

1) Can anyone provide pics of how they hung their trans cooler? There is lots of room under the battery, but I'm not creative enough to envision what I'd have to make in the way of bracketry.

I hung my trans cooler from the lower rad support. It's a B&M Supercooler. The holes in it fit perfectly with the existing holes for the black rubber thing that used to be under there. The other end of it sits atop the bumper. I could have flipped it over to get it tucked up there tighter, but at least this was there's air moving across it. Ideally I'd like air moving through it but this has to be better than nothing:

mega_transcooler.jpg

2) What do I do with the tabs on the bottom of the intercooler? They line up nicely with a couple of holes in the bottom of the rad support, but I'm not sure what to do there. I don't want to poke a hole in my a/c condenser.

I'm just going to drill a couple of holes and use the bolts from the rubber thing. I'm going to put a piece of steel on the other side of the support so I don't poke into the condenser with the drill. That will be today's project.

3) I'm assuming that the reinforcement bracket in the center of the header panel doesn't go back in. I thought I saw a post somewhere where someone modified it, but it does not appear as if that thing's going back in there.

It doesn't go back in.

4) Do I put the rubber flap back under the rad? It looks like it'll go back in, though it would need tweaked for the FMIC elbows.

It does not appear as if this will go back on in a way that would be useful so I left it off.

5) This one is a long shot: Does anyone know the size of the water pump and timing cover bolts that are replaced when you install a CAS V4? It's been so long since I installed that thing I had forgotten about the extra, longer bolts you use for the mounting bracket. I can't take the bracket off without replacement bolts. It's no big deal tho - I can leave it there for now. I don't think it will interefere with the pipe.

Still don't know. I'm just going to take them off of my brother's car since he bought the V4 from me.

Jim

49-blues said:
Anyone have the exact measurements of this new intercooler-thanks.

Since we are a distributor for Jason, I have gotten one in the shop, checked it all out, looks great. Although a very nice piece, it is just a touch smaller than my original unit at 27 x 17 x 3.15. Our newest upgraded core features a ****ping 28 x 17 x 3.5 core.... with newly designed end tanks.

JCotton said:
Since we are a distributor for Jason, I have gotten one in the shop, checked it all out, looks great. Although a very nice piece, it is just a touch smaller than my original unit at 27 x 17 x 3.15. Our newest upgraded core features a ****ping 28 x 17 x 3.5 core.... with newly designed end tanks.

So, it says you sell them, then you turn around to speak over Jasons unit comparing it to your old one, then give dimensions of your new one. :confused:

It seems you are stepping in on Jasons thread, which is pretty rude IMHO. Hopefully we will see some data on Jasons unit and the minute size difference will be made up with better performance which your old Cottons front mount intercooler is lacking in our tests.

Oh, BTW the RJC cooler is significantly less too.

Ted

So, it says you sell them, then you turn around to speak over Jasons unit comparing it to your old one, then give dimensions of your new one.

Thanks Ted, or should I say Troll...... I guess your threats of trolling me will be the norm. What a surprise, you're just stepping up what you've been doing for 6 months.... sad, very sad.

I think I would rather have a stalker than a troll. :D

Maybe he has your picture surrounded by candles on his nightstand :biggrin:

Spongebob said:
I think I would rather have a stalker than a troll. :D

Maybe he has your picture surrounded by candles on his nightstand :biggrin:

I think you hit it on the nailhead...... Thats the other term, (stalker) I was looking for. I think it is an Upper Crust thing....... :eek:

I too am a distributor of this inexpensive new intercooler. Since Jack brought up the comparison between the two coolers, perhaps Jason can come in and tell us his comparitive findings. I know the hp ratings, cost, and size are diferent between Jack and Jason's standard coolers. I'm not sure how the numbers compare between the two vendors larger coolers.

Keep your ears open for the possesed nextel :)
I will be testing Jacks original "The Jack Cooler" saturday if the weather holds out,Results will be posted including actual datalogs,No BS Just actual facts. Good or bad they will be posted.I dont have a RJC to test,so i will have no comparison data,But i will be testing(If we get enough runs) A different cooler also.But it does look like possible showers for sat :frown:
No Trolling here.Just keeping it real

HighPSI said:
I too am a distributor of this inexpensive new intercooler. Since Jack brought up the comparison between the two coolers, perhaps Jason can come in and tell us his comparitive findings. I know the hp ratings, cost, and size are diferent between Jack and Jason's standard coolers. I'm not sure how the numbers compare between the two vendors larger coolers.

I'm curious as to why you choose Jason's comparative findings :confused:

Why not use Jack's observations of size speak for themself? He makes no HP claim, only an observation of physical size. And a little plug for his new tanks.

I doubt anybody is going to do an apples to apples comparison by swapping these expensive IC's on the same vehicle with no other changes. If they did, then there would have to be several vehicles at different HP levels to determine the effectiveness throughout the HP range.

Spongebob said:
Why not use Jack's observations of size speak for themself? He makes no HP claim, only an observation of physical size. And a little plug for his new tanks.

It was posted above,It is a bit rude for Jack to come in and give a little plug about his product in a thread about another vendors product,dont you think?

No one is saying Jack cant make his own post about his product,But its not right how he did this.

I think there should be a poll!

- I am sick and tired of reading intercooler CRAP about whos stick is bigger and I will spend my money where I want to

- I find all these intercooler posts very informative and not only do I wish for them to trickle into every forum BUT spread nationally to EVERY corner of the internet

I know, very off topic but I felt I should be able to post my OPINION just as others have done in this same thread!

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back