You can type here any text you want

Rod Bearing Inspection/need Help

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

NOKA72

Heys Guys....started To Pull The Car Apart Tonight...didnt Get To Far....i Did Not Clean Or Plastiguage Anything Yet...but Once Again...
1....oil Filter Was Empty.....not Right????
2....press Releif Spring On Oil Cooler Adptr Was Loose...does Not Sit Tight....good Or Bad????
3...pan And Pickup Have Metal...aluminum And Copper Bits/dust
4...#1 Rod Bearing Lower Down To Copper In One Spot/upper Most Of The Bearing Is Down To The Copper.....no Gouging
5....#2 Lower Looks Good..nice Actually/top Is Down To The Copper...no Gouging....

What Do You Think So Far?????thanks Guys

Sounds like it might get expensive??

If I found any metal in the pan I would definitely do a complete tear down, cleaning and inspection of everything in the block. Dont forget to flush out the oil cooler and lines before putting it back together.

What led you to tear down the block?

How does the crank look?

How does the camshaft look?

Metal shavings could have clogged the pickup screen leading to no oil in the filter.

NOKA72;2092490 ...#1 Rod Bearing Lower Down To Copper In One Spot/upper Most Of The Bearing Is Down To The Copper.....no Gouging 5....#2 Lower Looks Good..nice Actually/top Is Down To The Copper...no Gouging.... What Do You Think So Far?????thanks Guys[/QUOTE said:
I think the engine was detonated really hard on more than one occasion.

this just happen to me what i did was bought is set of new bearings and checked all clearance to make sure they where on spec but found out that the two center connecting rods had a big oil clearance meaning not good so now motor is coming out, you never know all did was just spend some time and 100 dollars but least i know what really happen or some what.

ill post pics in a bet to show you

Bison...this Eng Is Fresh....less Than 200 Miles...and Very Low Boost..not Sure If Thats The Case....im Thinking Lubrication Problem Dont You Think?????

Hey Mike..started To Plastigage...the First Two Are At 2 Thou As Far As The Plastigage Is Reading....i Will Continue This Weekend On It....

???

Hey Mike..started To Plastigage...the First Two Are At 2 Thou As Far As The Plastigage Is Reading....i Will Continue This Weekend On It....

Plastigage after the failure??:confused:
"1....oil Filter Was Empty.....not Right????
2....press Releif Spring On Oil Cooler Adptr Was Loose...does Not Sit Tight....good Or Bad????"

With those items being "wrong", what kind of oil pressure did you see?
New ft cover?

Well Chuck..oil Pressure Ice Cold...72 Then It Will Gradually Come Down...lingure In The 20-30 Range....go As Low As 6-10 Smokin Hot...comes Up Instantly With Rpm....has 45 Or So At 2300 Rpm..yet When I Start It It First Thing In The Morn Has Lifter Clatter/and Pos Rod Knock....then When Its Hot I Let It Sit For 20 Mins....it Will Give Me A Slight Rod Knock On Start Up..like A Marble In A Can Sound...and Of Course No More Lifter Noise...your Thoughts????

oil pressure

Well Chuck..oil Pressure Ice Cold...72 Then It Will Gradually Come Down...lingure In The 20-30 Range....go As Low As 6-10 Smokin Hot...comes Up Instantly With Rpm....has 45 Or So At 2300 Rpm..yet When I Start It It First Thing In The Morn Has Lifter Clatter/and Pos Rod Knock....then When Its Hot I Let It Sit For 20 Mins....it Will Give Me A Slight Rod Knock On Start Up..like A Marble In A Can Sound...and Of Course No More Lifter Noise...your Thoughts????

mine always went up at a cold start and hot driving it stayed at 20 then again on my vdo eletronic gauage not to accurate of a reading not until i seen it drop down 10 yes that is when i decided to drop my pan and bingo i seen what i never wanted to see after only having this car for 6 mouths:mad:

Well Guys..i Plastigaged All Rods And They Are At 2 Thou....journals Look Good And Damage Free...as Far As I Was Able To Mic Them As Best As I Can Get In There And They Seem Ok...i Replaced The Rod Bearings....i Ditched The Oil Cooler And The Biggie Adapter...i Took Her Out Today And I Think I Got It....rod Knock Is Gone...going To Keep A Close Eye On It And Put Some Miles On It...oil Pressure Hot Is 11-13 And Upwards Of 60 When Driving....the Big Test Will Be Cold In The Morning...vinny

I'd run it 50 miles, dump the oil while hot, and open the filter....

Repy

Well Guys..i Plastigaged All Rods And They Are At 2 Thou....journals Look Good And Damage Free...as Far As I Was Able To Mic Them As Best As I Can Get In There And They Seem Ok...i Replaced The Rod Bearings....i Ditched The Oil Cooler And The Biggie Adapter...i Took Her Out Today And I Think I Got It....rod Knock Is Gone...going To Keep A Close Eye On It And Put Some Miles On It...oil Pressure Hot Is 11-13 And Upwards Of 60 When Driving....the Big Test Will Be Cold In The Morning...vinny

man oil pressure seems to be low still. hot 11-13:( :(

Drop the pan after running it again.

I would say to rebuild. Look at the cam berrings thats where you could be losing the psi. it is not alwas at the crank. One thing that i have lerned is you see copper then rebuild. Thats my .02.

A worn out front cam bearing took out our t-type motor. Bearings down to the copper.

Back