You can type here any text you want

Rod clearance question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

geno

9sec 17MPG Street Car
Staff member
How close does a Carillo rod in a S1 block with a 3.590 crank come to the oil pickup ?Is there a clearance problem so you cant use the internel pickup with a stock pan with this stroke?:confused:

Originally posted by geno
How close does a Carillo rod in a S1 block with a 3.590 crank come to the oil pickup ?Is there a clearance problem so you cant use the internel pickup with a stock pan with this stroke?:confused:

If it's the relocated pickup up front, and the front counterweight of the crank has been profiled on an angle, you will have to shave the side of the pickup boss but it will fit. If it's the stock location pickup, I dunno. :)

Gene,

It won't work!! You'll just have to get rid of that Stage I block! ;)

I know a guy who might be interested.

Neal

Rod Clearance

I also have a stage 1 with 6.5" rods and 3.54" stroke crank. I had to do some grinding on the oil pickup. I also did some grinding on the rod bolts heads and the bottom of the cylinder to give the min. clearance of .060".
Jeff Rand

Jeff,

Did you ever get your heads back from Champion?

Just Wonderin'

Neal

Re: Rod Clearance

Originally posted by Jeff Rand
I also have a stage 1 with 6.5" rods and 3.54" stroke crank. I had to do some grinding on the oil pickup. I also did some grinding on the rod bolts heads and the bottom of the cylinder to give the min. clearance of .060".
Jeff Rand

Whos rods are you using?

Rod Clearance

I am using Carillo rods in my stage 1. You can do some grinding on the heads of the bolt (I removed metal from only the side of the bolt that had an issue with tight clearance and the grinding was on an angle) with out a problem. I would get all the gringing out of the way, then have the rotating assembly balanced.
Jeff Rand

Neil, I have not received my heads from Champion. We are now going on 5 months!!!! I have been working on plan B but I have had a lot of unexpected issues with my set up.

Back