Roll bar question

Blevins

Where can i get just a hoop to put in my T-Type. I don't want to cage the car but the track i run at kicked the car out already for running 6.9 8th mile times so i have no choice. They stated i just needed a bar or hoop and a jacket and they would let me continue to run unless the car exceeded 6.39 which then we all know it'll need an 8 point etc.... Id like to get something that is easy to install/remove. Anyone have any ideas? Places to buy such a piece etc??

6.9 is 10's in the 1/4

thats full roll bar territory at any nhra sanctioned racetrack that im aware of.

I feel your pain. Being that you have a full frame car you won't be able to put something that is removable in and have it pass muster.

Get ready to cut your car up AND lose your back seat........

Or you could just slow down.:)

I feel my car is just too nice to cut up, so I won't be going with a bar.

My car is too nice to cut up as well.. So it wont be "cut up" And its SLOW compared to what im used to honestly. The rules about cages are just way to strict in my opinion.... If your just at a test and tune to have fun with the car and you sign the wavier releasing them from any fault then why not just let you run and if u wreck its your problem?? 7.39 in the 8th and forced to put a cage in your car is just ridiculous to me.

My car is too nice to cut up as well.. So it wont be "cut up" And its SLOW compared to what im used to honestly. The rules about cages are just way to strict in my opinion.... If your just at a test and tune to have fun with the car and you sign the wavier releasing them from any fault then why not just let you run and if u wreck its your problem?? 7.39 in the 8th and forced to put a cage in your car is just ridiculous to me.

I think you mean 6.39 :D

I agree with the "spirit" of your statement, however, we are out there on the track with other participants and safety has to be a concern for all involved.

NHRA just lowered the bar requirement for 2008 and newer cars, I think it's arbitrary and unfair, but it is what it is.

I'm certain my car can go low 10's without a bar and do it safely, but I've seen some real rattle traps out at the track that will go low 10's too, and I'd be terrified to make a pass with them in the lane next to me.

The track operators and sactioning bodies have to draw a line in the sand somewhere or risk having the snot sued out of them by some lawyer that figures a way around the waivers we sign, and a good one will find a way, you better believe it.

7.39 in the 8th is when they make us put a bar in the car here at my local track.

And i can see your point with tuning cars for years i have had customers cars that are TOTAL rattle traps with over 1000WHP, holes in the floor all cut up everywhere etc... Very sketchy even with a cage for me haha. Had one guy want me to take his down the track that was like this which was a 2jZ Supra engine in a IS300 that would MPH in the low 120s off the bottle through the 8th struggling for traction and it was such a rattle trap i turned that offer down with a quickness. The car was just not stable... It needed a lot of attention in the suspension area to say the least. I cant believe they kept letting him run it to be honest. But it had a cage so they let it go. They didn't even check to see if it was certified or his belts up to date... which im pretty sure both weren't!

If one saw the invoice the track operator gets for ins coverage, it would show why he's "paranoid" about the safety aspects....:eek:

I feel your pain. Being that you have a full frame car you won't be able to put something that is removable in and have it pass muster.

Get ready to cut your car up AND lose your back seat.......
Or you could just slow down.:)

I feel my car is just too nice to cut up, so I won't be going with a bar.

I have a full back seat and have cruised with me plus 4 in it...
full rear interior.jpg

Drivers seat support adjusted and or removed with pin...

I ended up just putting a simple hoop in it and they are letting me go for now or until i hit 6.30s in the 8th like they said. Dunno if stock short block will hold 6.30s but first time out with boost down and leaving easy it went 6.65 and they didn't say a word. So hoping they will continue to keep their word and let me run. Looking to go faster next time out which could be as soon as this weekend.

Here is an example of a 10 sec. Regal which had a "mishap" on a 9 se. pass, and he survived it fortunately without the proper safety equipment.

Not everyone can be that lucky?

Buick Nats Nov 2011 036.jpg

" and they didn't say a word."...............Wad it up, and you may not know if they " didn't say a word."

What Nick said^ ^ ^ ^

I have a death wish i guess.....;) That or i refuse to cut my very nice rare car up and drive it around with bars everywhere with NO helmet on. My car sees a lot more street driving then the track and a lot of times my girl is with me when cruising around. And when ur not wearing a helmet you could find yourself hurt a lot worse in a mild crash from head injury from ur roll bars.

I had to make a decision and this is the one i made due to the fact that the car is 99% street and 1% track car.....

I knew this thread was goin to turn into safety. Our local track gives you NO slack. I feel its their ass on the line if ya crash. Waivers don't mean squat. Don't want to play the bar game don't race it. Pretty easy to me. (YES all my carS have bars in them..). I know I know... just another old fart spewing safety crap :p

Me too..............[Another old fart that has managed to stay alive for over 50 yrs, in hot cars.]
" Don't want to play the bar game don't race it. Pretty easy to me."
17 posts, and it's right back to your original thot...Don't want to cut up my car for a bar.
Kinda like being pregnant...U R or UR not. Pretty much the same w/ the bar.:rolleyes:

Well Melissa is a youngin :p Wife said if she got hurt in that car she would kill me :D We got kicked out of 3 tracks.. Wife said if they wern't happy with her set up she wasn't !!! Car was grounded by her till the cage was brought up to spec. :cool:

I knew this thread was goin to turn into safety. Our local track gives you NO slack. I feel its their ass on the line if ya crash. Waivers don't mean squat. Don't want to play the bar game don't race it. Pretty easy to me. (YES all my carS have bars in them..). I know I know... just another old fart spewing safety crap :p

I put a bar in mine about 3 years ago and after it was in, I had no idea why everyone was against them I'm glad to have one and the car seems tighter and handles better and I get very little noise out of the bars. I've only had people in the back seat 3 times in 12 years so that was no loss either. Did lose some space on the elevated level in the trunk but I don't really miss it.