roll cage question

xpatate

Hi,

Right now my GN87 runs 12.7 but I'm planning to run in the 10.5 soon... at least this is my goal :wink: ...I guess a cage could be a good idea when you run in the 10 seconds, especially with a ttop ??

Right now, I'm in the process of repainting the body and I think it's a good timing to put the cage on since I have to strip the interior anyway...

I'm thinking about a small 8 points cage, something like this : 8-Point Roll Bars - MORC3122 by: Competition Engineering - Doug

1- Do you think it's ok for my use ?
2- I saw this cage for sale at least at 10 different sites, the only problem is that I live in Montréal, Québec, Canada... nobody wants to ship there :rolleyes: Does anyone know a Québec seller or place where the can deliver to Canada ?

i have two regals with 6 point cages i asked the same questons you are asking about pre fab cages all the 10 inch tire guys told me the same thing have one built from scratch..that is if you got any race car shops with in distance of you..i paid 600 dollars and will fit like a glove.if you go that rout tell the guys you want it tied into the frame in the front and the upper control arm boxs in the back.and the side bars need to be waist high when setting in your seat.shouldnt have any problems passing tech then and you dont have to worry shipping cost...........

and the side bars need to be waist high when setting in your seat..

Last time I checked the rules waist high side bars are not legal. They need, or used to anyway, pass your body at a height that crosses half way between your shoulder and elbow.

Have the rules changed that much?

Nope..

Last time I checked the rules waist high side bars are not legal. They need, or used to anyway, pass your body at a height that crosses half way between your shoulder and elbow.

Have the rules changed that much?

Dave it hasn't.
v6togo.. A cage is not 6 points. A cage has a halo, A pillar legs, window net, etc.
A rollbar is not legal after you go 9.99, or over 135 mph.

XPATATE.. The investment in a 2009 NHRA rulebook is a great way to minimize problems w/ such a project.:cool:

I installed a 8 point in my car from a kit from Competion Engineering. After I went under 9.99 I had to update to a 10 point cage. The side bars have to be equal with your elbow to keep it protected and in the car. You need to get a 2009 NHRA rule book for sure.

Tony, now that your are NHRA legal, you'll have to try Route 66 raceway in Joliet some time. It is by far the nicest track I have ever been to.

I will. Is it April Yet:) I am ready to go racing. maybe I should move to AZ, Ca or Florida so the season never ends. If it snows I will get to drag race my snowmobile. :)

We are just getting to the good part of the season here in AZ. :)

As far as the cage, I agree with getting it done locally.

maybe i have long elbows lol.. anyway the guy said 10.50s and u can always add the faster u go but at least we got the ball rolling on some good info

I haven't gotten my 2009 NHRA rulebook yet. Has anybody else seen one?

Everything said here is true. 5 point roll BAR is good to 10.00. If you run faster than 9.99 you need a full cage.

I had a mild steel 6 point roll bar in my car. I removed it and had a custom 12 point Chromoly cage installed. I'm very pleased with the way the car works with the cage. Custom roll bars and cages fit tighter and if properly done look better than any prefab kit I've ever seen.

It's a NHRA rule regardless. If you are upside down with T-Tops especially. It would be nice to have the Halo.

I'd get it done locally. When I had mine done (5-point) I gave the shop a copy of the NHRA rulebook. If you opt for a "cage" or 10 point, have the shop that installs the cage get it NHRA certified. It used to be $100 and with that little sticker you know you are good to go.

please dont get picky then, i said side bars and if he ever wants to go faster than 10.50s he can always add to it. but a 6 point will give him no problems at the track and do agree with nhra rule book to be given to who ever puts the cage in. and if he can figure out how to get a swing out for the driver side door that would help to. we all know what kind of pain in the a$$ that bar is. just want to let the guy know there is other options than pre fab cages and shipping headaches........