You can type here any text you want

Roll master disaster

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Put the gear on the cam with out the chain on it and see if the bolts will start. Sometimes you got to hold your mouth just right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The cam gear fits so tight on the cam I can not rotate it. I have to tap it on to get it to down all the way. Maybe that's more of my problem. Haven't had a chance to mess with it yet. This is still the original cam.

chinese timing cover or a GM unit?

Chinese covers don't like to let the cam sensor drop into place. For some reason they have a high defect rate of the pump shaft and cam sensor bore not being concentric.

If that's the case, and he has to knock it in so it seats, it could start an expensive cascade failure.

Chinese covers don't like to let the cam sensor drop into place. For some reason they have a high defect rate of the pump shaft and cam sensor bore not being concentric.

If that's the case, and he has to knock it in so it seats, it could start an expensive cascade failure.
Sorry, hadn't even realized we were that far along yet. I assumed we were still trying to get the cam gear mounted up.?

Sent from my QMV7A tablet via Tapatalk.

Last edited:
Just got it on. I tried putting just the gear on and they still didn't line up. The bolt holes in the original were bigger than the ones in the rollmaster. I could see where the threads from the bolts were wearing on the gear. Just had to do my slight clearencing with the die grinder. With the bolts loose without the chain on there was bearly any movement, less than stock. I work in a shop on different cars all the time. 90 percent the time afternarket parts don't fit right and need adjustments made. Got to feel lucky when something goes right

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I wouldn't use it....I would find a better made product from a different manufacturer.

OK, now that you found that problem, run a degree wheel on it and make another discovery of aftermarket parts.....

AG.

One more question/ problem. I'm putting the original timing cover back on. I have a melling roller cam button and it is making the cover hard to get on. Tried the original button and its the same way and distance. I have to push the cover down the last 3/8 inch to the block and run the bolts in. Is that spring supposed to put that much pressure on the cover?

Sent from my LG-P505 using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

There's no way you can feel that spring pushing back against the timing cover. You need to find the issue before torquing bolts down.

Might be a bolt boss on the inside of the cover interfering with the cam gear. I always trim the bolt bosses and smooth out the wear surface for the cam button. (Along with porting all the oil passages and detailing the oil pump.). If a timing cover ever comes off of a Buick I ALWAYS blueprint it and do a lot of tweaking. I usually spend 3-5 hours on a timing cover. Earl has posted pretty much what I do (and have been doing for 27 years)

Are you positive it's don't resistance from the dowel pins causing the resistance. Leave the cam button off and see if its still hard to slide on.

I have had many of those chains of many brands do the same thing. I have had to take them on and off many times and eventually the bolts always go in, don't grind

also some covers even the factory ones hit the chin with the boss that sticks out next to the cam gear. I have had to clearance that at times

I left the cam button off and it slides on no problem. I tried a different timing cover with the original cam button and had the same problem. When I'm putting the cover on the last 3/8-1/4 inch the spring pressure from the button fights it. I have to push it down by hand and run the bolts finger tight. Original cam and timing cover. The roller style button with spring sticks out 3/4 inch of the cam, its all the way down. There seems like there needs to be pressure there but I'm not sure how much. What stops the cam from hitting the rear freeze plug in the block? Is there a thrust surface back there or something like that.

Sent from my LG-P505 using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

The lip on the cam hits the block before it can hit the rear plug. Are you sure the cam is fully seated against the block?

DO NOT use the bolts to pull the cover down, you'll ended up in an expensive world of hurt, best case. A BIG world of hurt, less than best case.

My guesses are the cam's not fully engaged, cam bolts hitting the block and jacking it away from the block, or the wrong cam button assy that sticks up to far.

Back