You can type here any text you want

roller cam set up?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

larrym

West Coast Newfy
Alright I bit the bullet and purchased a ductile roller set up from Weber.
Great guys to deal with btw!
Weber Turbo Buick 3.8L and 4.1L V6 Ductile Roller Camshaft Kit
When I'm installing this non billet unit there is just a shimable cam button.
I understand that this prevents the cam from walking out to far.
I get the the taper on a flat tappet cam pushes the cam shaft forward.
I did a little research and I'm trying to wrap my head around what prevents the cam from riding on the block.
I found this little tid bit on the chev high performance web site. They mention that timing gear alignment can be used to pull the cam forward. Does this mean I have to pay close attention when installing the the new chain to ensure that the crank gear is out slightly farther than the cam gear?
How To Set Roller Cam Endplay - Tech Article - Chevy High Performance Magazine

Good question...

Wish I had asked it before my cam ate into the front of the block! Hopefully someone with technical experience in this area (Bison?) will respond. Summit sells a block saver kit; a Torrington bearing (shims?) to put between the flange of a non- billet roller cam, not sure about billet, but would like to hear any information. Good luck!;)

From what I understand of the torrington bearing set up, the cam needs to be machined to work properly, a shoulder has to be machined into the cam to center the bearing properly and ensure that it does not affect where the lifters track on the the lobes.
Then you have to worry about the bearing interfering with the oiling of the distributor gear.

All my parts arrived today!
Cam, lifters, timing set, push rods, springs, button, rocker supports and I'm pretty excited.

All this because I need to repair a leaky front seal at least that's what I told the Mrs. :cool:

Prior to installing my new setup I was thinking about getting the thrust surface machined to accept a torrington bearing. Is there anything else I need to do for this procedure? Can this cause other problems I need to be aware of?A buddy of mine had the thrust surface chewed up on flat tappet install I'm just looking for piece of mind.

No need to do the Torrington mod. Most thrust surface failures caused by a burr left on the thrust face of the cam for the oil hole to dist. gear. Debur the thrust face of the cam and you will be fine. Make sure you have enough assembly lube on the face of the cam, too. With .006" thrust clearance the thrust face should just dance on the block. With a spring loaded bumper, it always has a load on it. With a roller cam and shimmed roller bumper, it shouldn't have any load on it.

Thanks Ken

I might need to make a drive across the line to meet some of you guys whens the next northwest event?

Go to the Pacific NW section and look for "Turbo Thunder". If anyone else can make it from across the country, do so. We have a blast and have some nice cars show up. Should be interesting this year. It's even open to Imports as long as they run 9.90 or quicker in the fast class.

I can catch the boat out of Victoria I'm on Vancouver Island

Great boat ride from Twasson (sp) We use to go to Mill Bay (N. Victoria) every year for our kids' Crew Regatta at Brentwood College. We always had a great time. The ferry ride is spectacular on a nice day. Our daughter still coaches and goes up every year. She was just there in April. Here's a pic from 2002. She's on the left: adj.jpg

Yeah its nice up here and we have a decent TR population for our size.

Back