You can type here any text you want

Royce Gracie

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GNBRETT

Pelennor Fields
I ended up buying the best MMA submission bluray video tonight and in the bonus features they had the old fight between Gracis and Shamrock when they were bare knuckles:eek: and watching Gracie again in his prime reminded me how good he really was. Anyone think his gee gave him an advantage in the grappling game? I always wondered....

And the fact that he was so good with bare knuckle fighting dudes that were big. Shamrock was no joke! Could bench press over 500 lbs. He was a legend and Gracie just schooled him in this fight. Shamrock tried to pretend like he didnt tap and Gracie wasn't having it....lol

He was like a little spider all over you tangling up an arm or chocking guys out in like 30 seconds into the round. And the guy was so small to.

The one think I disliked about the bare knuckles is how short the fights were. Im glad they went to the 4oz gloves.

YouTube - The Best of Royce Gracie

True revolutionary for the sport. If there was a Mt. Rushmore for MMA, he would definitely be on it. However, he would have big problems today. Everyone know's BJJ as part of their overall game whereas for Royce back then, that was just about all he used.

Still a big Royce fan. His marathon fight with Sakuraba was an all-time classic.

Yea, I think the stand up game and take down defense would make it more difficult for him to be as successful. He'd still be nasty.

Its so funny watching these old videos where there was basically NO rules. Headbutts...lol, hands gripping the fence, strikes to the back of the head, illegal knees, etc.... That sport was hardcore back then. A stright up street fight.

Yea, I think the stand up game and take down defense would make it more difficult for him to be as successful. He'd still be nasty.

Its so funny watching these old videos where there was basically NO rules. Headbutts...lol, hands gripping the fence, strikes to the back of the head, illegal knees, etc.... That sport was hardcore back then. A stright up street fight.

Could you imagine fighting those hardcore rules today :eek: The biggest things I see now compared to then is guys are so much more athletic. Best example is St pierre...

I always thought Tank Abbott was pretty athletic.
The old stuff was street fighting, maybe Kimbo would have been better back then.

I ended up buying the best MMA submission bluray video tonight and in the bonus features they had the old fight between Gracis and Shamrock when they were bare knuckles:eek: and watching Gracie again in his prime reminded me how good he really was. Anyone think his gee gave him an advantage in the grappling game? I always wondered....

And the fact that he was so good with bare knuckle fighting dudes that were big. Shamrock was no joke! Could bench press over 500 lbs. He was a legend and Gracie just schooled him in this fight. Shamrock tried to pretend like he didnt tap and Gracie wasn't having it....lol

He was like a little spider all over you tangling up an arm or chocking guys out in like 30 seconds into the round. And the guy was so small to.

The one think I disliked about the bare knuckles is how short the fights were. Im glad they went to the 4oz gloves.

YouTube - The Best of Royce Gracie

I was watching the Beginning of the MMA title fight where Gracie was the 1st Champ. The contenders kept getting Bigger & bigger and he kept beating them. was real intresting.

My son took judo & did wrestling in Jr high. He was state champ for his weight class. They taught him to tie up your oppontent with hand holding. Boy it works.
Not my style of fighting the Gracie style. I could never understand wearing the smock. that would drive me nuts.

The gi is a HUGE advantage. Its why they cant wear them now. You can pull off chokes with the sleeves, etc. One of Royce's early fights in the UFC ended with a gi choke. Yoshida in Japan also wore a gi and he was big on the gi chokes too. Not to mention is creates more friction with your opponent and makes controlling them easier.

There is a UFC Brazil card coming up. I expect Royce to be on it.

he definetly used the gi to his advantage until Wanderlei Silva put an end to him. was'nt even a close fight. still one hell of a a scrapper

no weight limits,punching the family jewels was accepted,you had to fight at least 3-4 times that night to win the championship, a lot of fighters today wouldn't cut it fighting in those conditions, it was Royce's brother Rorion that came up with the idea and created the ufc with some help on funding the fight game.

Less rules back then. I would feel sorry for a lot of guys today with those rules. When Gracie choked your ass out....... he held it waaaaaaay after the guy taped just to make sure. lol

the ufc is just awesome.the guys are committed and in shape and study the craft.very entertaining!

I saw something similar a few weeks ago and it brought back some memories. Remember the Kemo fight too? Multiple fights in one night, basically no rules, etc. It was really hardcore back then.
The gi was a big advantage, and he used it more than once to finish a fight.

And special props to TTYPEWHITE. Everytime I see a pic of your car I tell myself that I need a white T-Type next to my 87 GN. :D

He was an awesome grappler. I remember watching Gracie fights and thinking how frustrating it had to be to fight him because had a face you just wanted to punch but, you could rarely get to him.

Less rules back then. I would feel sorry for a lot of guys today with those rules. When Gracie choked your ass out....... he held it waaaaaaay after the guy taped just to make sure. lol
lol... I was thinkineg the exact same thing when I was watchen him. He holds on for a good 3-4 seconds after his opponent taps. That probably wouldnt go over very well today but was acceptable back then with limited rules.

He was an awesome grappler. I remember watching Gracie fights and thinking how frustrating it had to be to fight him because had a face you just wanted to punch but, you could rarely get to him.

You would think big Ken Shamrock would pummel his face

Ahh.. I guess he did..

ShamrockvGracieaftermath.jpg

but at the time, there was only one guy that got a piece of him that I remembert and boy did that piss him off.

This guy..

ufc3.jpg

He was also the only guy that was smart enough to not let him take him down. He got a good punch in during a take down attempt and that put a good welt on royce's face, you should have seen the look on his face after that, like "oh no you didn't" . I don't remember the guys name but he had a school in chicago and was also the guy that broke his hand fighting that huge HI fighter that you always see clips of..

You would think big Ken Shamrock would pummel his face

Ahh.. I guess he did..

ShamrockvGracieaftermath.jpg

but at the time, there was only one guy that got a piece of him that I remembert and boy did that piss him off.

This guy..

ufc3.jpg

He was also the only guy that was smart enough to not let him take him down. He got a good punch in during a take down attempt and that put a good welt on royce's face, you should have seen the look on his face after that, like "oh no you didn't" . I don't remember the guys name but he had a school in chicago and was also the guy that broke his hand fighting that huge HI fighter that you always see clips of..

Was that guy Kieth Hakney??? That looks like him in the photo.

Training gi is a big advantage. No gi you can slip a lot of submissions because of body sweat. Not so much in gi. Your game becomes a lot more technical in gi. You end up trapping guys before they even realize it, haha. Met Royce once. Nice but intense dude. He was the black belt that we were affiliated under.

The funny thing is Royce is not even one of the top 5 Gracies.
Rickson, Carlson, Rolls, Roger, Helio or Renzo and many others were or are actually better.

The funny thing is Royce is not even one of the top 5 Gracies.
Rickson, Carlson, Rolls, Roger, Helio or Renzo and many others were or are actually better.

Royce is great. My friend and I flew out to Torrance, Cal. in 1998. We had a good time at his dojo. I saw Rickson at a seminar in Canada many years back. Ralph, I saw in Virgina in the '97 ish. Renzo was my favorite. Super nice guy and made us feel like we were at home at his dojo in NYC.

Joe

Back