You can type here any text you want

Royce Gracie

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Royce is great. My friend and I flew out to Torrance, Cal. in 1998. We had a good time at his dojo. I saw Rickson at a seminar in Canada many years back. Ralph, I saw in Virgina in the '97 ish. Renzo was my favorite. Super nice guy and made us feel like we were at home at his dojo in NYC.

Joe

Joe,

Not hating on Royce, I just don't know if people realize he is not the family champion.
He was not even as accredited as some of his brothers and cousins in BJJ competition.
From what I read this was part of Rorion's strategy.
This was more of a shout out to the greatness of the Gracie's than slighting Royce.
BTW my friend trained with Renzo and loved him!

The funny thing is Royce is not even one of the top 5 Gracies.
Rickson, Carlson, Rolls, Roger, Helio or Renzo and many others were or are actually better.

Very True, They picked Royce to compete in the first UFC because he was the smallest of them. They wanted to show how dominate their style was over larger opponents of other fighting styles.

Joe,

Not hating on Royce, I just don't know if people realize he is not the family champion.
He was not even as accredited as some of his brothers and cousins in BJJ competition.

Royce style is passive.. laid back a little bit. Renzo, Ralph, ... are very aggressive. They do not wait for you to make a mistake like Royce. They will punch you into submission.

I spared with Royce at his dojo in the 90's. His balance is unreal. When he passed my guard and gained side control, it felt like a 800 lb. slab of Iron was laying across my chest. Tough guy for sure!

Joe

Very True, They picked Royce to compete in the first UFC because he was the smallest of them. They wanted to show how dominate their style was over larger opponents of other fighting styles.
Which is exactly why he was so impressive cause he was so small.

HOLY CHIT!!! ..... he had to have broken his hand in that fight .... NO gloves and pummeling that big ass dome.... wow.... no mouth guard either..... and on a side note was that Big John refereeing?

thks for the clip

aaron

Aaron, He did break his hand and was unable to continue for the next round. Glad you enjoyed the clip.

Bryan

Back