You can type here any text you want

RPE Machine LLC

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
robzombie said:
Does he not like doing these motors??

He obviously can do them right, so is it a lack of profit or some other thing that prevents him from doing them.

It's not worth the time. You are constantly at the mercy of suppliers and dealing with parts that are as old as dirt. Nothing drops in. Everything needs to be checked, machined , checked again. You wind up wasting so much time it's ridiculous. There's a lot more out there that can be completed without these hang ups. There's only so much time in a day. Seems like everyone wants to make 800hp on 93 octane and they want it to last forever.

It's not worth the time. You are constantly at the mercy of suppliers and dealing with parts that are as old as dirt. Nothing drops in. Everything needs to be checked, machined , checked again. You wind up wasting so much time it's ridiculous. There's a lot more out there that can be completed without these hang ups. There's only so much time in a day. Seems like everyone wants to make 800hp on 93 octane and they want it to last forever.
Bison said it best. Most guys don't know what it takes to do one of these engines right. I have guys that sends engines to me and tell me they are in no hurry and then call every week wanting to know if its close to being done. they don't understand that you build these engines 4 or 5 times before you really build it.

mine took 10 months and he was caught up at the time.............not any of the above builders.

I'm a realist and have had BB nail heads and 455's and 400's built in the past and know that it takes more to build a buick and the tolerances and parts needed that make them live.

Like I said I would wait a year or even two if that's what it takes as I have a fresh engine in my car now that's good and I also have a backup engine in the shop if needed.

I'm looking for a long term build as I'm in no hurry for it right now.

I'm more in the planning stages and trying to get a handle of what it will take to go in the direction that I'm looking to go and the cost of said project/build IE; parts needed and machine costs and yes a time frame.

I'm a realist and have had BB nail heads and 455's and 400's built in the past and know that it takes more to build a buick and the tolerances and parts needed that make them live.

Like I said I would wait a year or even two if that's what it takes as I have a fresh engine in my car now that's good and I also have a backup engine in the shop if needed.

I'm looking for a long term build as I'm in no hurry for it right now.

I'm more in the planning stages and trying to get a handle of what it will take to go in the direction that I'm looking to go and the cost of said project/build IE; parts needed and machine costs and yes a time frame.

There are other builders out there. NCTURBO'S, Don Cruz, Chris H, Nick Macale and others that are very very good. I would approach them and try my luck. DLS and RPE are pretty much only doing repeat customer work as I understand it. I will not speak for either of them, but this is the "word on the street" as I hear it.

I always had dls in consideration or just buying a weber stroker shortblock. But thankfully im not at that point where I need a rebuild....

Money talks..........but a builder will size a potential customer up a lot faster then his motor will go.
Experience is a awesome teacher....

I also think a good builder will be 100% honest w buyer. Ie I wont be able to touch your motor for at least 5 months... whwn I start I will call you etc..

Also I feel there should be 1/3 money down when builder starts its 2/3 and the rest when motor is done. Idk if thats how its done but I think thats more than fair. And if buyer keeps adding changing parts naturally price and time go up.. of course this is perfect worl scenerio.. :D

Also I feel there should be 1/3 money down when builder starts its 2/3 and the rest when motor is done. Idk if thats how its done but I think thats more than fair. And if buyer keeps adding changing parts naturally price and time go up.. of course this is perfect worl scenerio.. :D
Your way off on that quote. The top builders I have had dealings with dont give you parts options. You drop off a block or block and heads, and tell them what results your wanting. You don't get the option of choosing the parts. Your budget and what the engine will be used for will determine the parts he chooses. This is why he is a builder. If your gonna bring him all the parts and tell him to put it together...the top builders will tell you to do it yourself. This is fact and def not just my opinion. You tread softly with the top guys or your not getting in the door.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Bobby would not accept a dime from me until it was done. That is a class act !!! I wish I had the money to have a spare built by him...

Bryan

[quote="Bobby would not accept a dime from me until it was done. That is a class act !!! I wish I had the money to have a spare built by him...Bryan[/quote]

same here, the man is awesomer than awesome....build's a good motor too!!! :)

Your way off on that quote. The top builders I have had dealings with dont give you parts options. You drop off a block or block and heads, and tell them what results your wanting. You don't get the option of choosing the parts. Your budget and what the engine will be used for will determine the parts he chooses. This is why he is a builder. If your gonna bring him all the parts and tell him to put it together...the top builders will tell you to do it yourself. This is fact and def not just my opinion. You tread softly with the top guys or your not getting in the door.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Otherwise known as "No Soup For You!!"

Back