You can type here any text you want

RPO Code Question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Bad Buick

GN Obsessed
I have deciphered the RPO Code sticker on the inside of my trunk lid.I'm confused though...The sticker shows my V.I.N. # Which matches my Vin# on my dash etc.There is one confusing code though...CC1.My car is a bonafied and documented Canadian hardtop.Doesnt CC1 mean a T-Top car????Or at least that's what I have read that it means on different RPO decoding sites.Could someone explain this qwirk to me? :confused:
Dave

That is odd! CC1 is a t top car. Maybe somehow it was ordered as a T top car and someone screwed up on the line, didn't catch it, and it came out a hard top :confused: This type of screw up happend with many turbo Buicks. I know a number of people that were missing stuff that was on the RPO codes and things were on the car that were not on there. So anything is possible. That's a pretty big screw up I would think! :eek: Friend of mine has a GN he bought new.. Got it home and saw this plug under the hood. Well they installed the block heater option from the factory. He never ordered it and it was'nt on the RPO code.

I would ahve to agree with phillyturbo: by all rights your car should have t-tops but turned into on eof those wonderful factory foul-ups. I would say the car might be a re-body job, but if it's as well documented as you state, someone at the plant was smoking the carpet that day.

I would say if you aren't the original owner than who knows what happened after it left the assembly line. I have never found a blatant example of a screw up like this so IMO your car came with the T-tops and somebody did some work. I'm just basing my statement on the fact that so many T-tops cars have ilrepairable rust damage to the roof and A-pillars that it is just easier to convert it over to a solid roof. If it was me I'd be tearing the car apart for signs of other rust damage that goes with bad T-tops. You know when these things leak,water will pool under the carpet and eat away the floor pan too. Its easy to see where panels have been replaced by the not so factory looking welds around the seams of the sheet metal. Maybe another tip off if your car had T-tops. Does it have those round dome lights in the upper 1/4 trim panels? Also T-top cars used different sun visors. They are slightly smaller and the pivots are almost flat looking in shape compared to the solid roofs more rounded ones. Maybe somebody forgot to switch these features when it was repaired. Sorry for the bad news if it looks like this has happened.There are so many different parts assiociated with a T-top car when they are assembled that I find it hard to believe that this is a factory goof. Everything from interior to exterior moldings are affected and if one thing is wrong than it just starts a chain of events that screws everything else up so mistakes like this are avoided to begin with.

No rust, No welds,This is not a T-top Car!!!!I have 33000 Kilometres Documented! As for GM NOT SCREWING UP...are these the guys who forgot 4 body mounts on almost every GN???(Some were missing 7!) I know this first hand,cause mine were installed.I am ordering the history package on my car from GM Vintage services.I will soon find out.Sorry I don't agree with you on this one Eric.

Bad Buick said:
No rust, No welds,This is not a T-top Car!!!!I have 33000 Kilometres Documented! As for GM NOT SCREWING UP...are these the guys who forgot 4 body mounts on almost every GN???(Some were missing 7!) I know this first hand,cause mine were installed.I am ordering the history package on my car from GM Vintage services.I will soon find out.Sorry I don't agree with you on this one Eric.

As for the missing body mounts it is done on purpose on every Regal and Cutlass. It is what makes a Buick ride like grandmas car. GM did do this on purpose so it wouldn't ride and be noisy like a Monte Carlo. Its a documented fact. Like I said if you ain't the original owner than who knows what happened. Missing parts that are on the tail end of the assembly line are common screw ups. Stuff that is at the beginning aren't. There have plenty of threads about people being ripped off or buying cars that were misrepresented. I wouldn't be surprised when you find the truth about yours it wouldn't be something that you can blame GM on. Canadian car or not, GM built millions of G-bodies. You would think with all of the documentation that are on these cars there would be a second TR out there with a glitch on the SPID label would have turned up in the last 20 years. I dare you to find another example. I'm not trying to get in a pissing contest or doubt you. The documentation you are getting from GM of Canada is only going to confirm what you already know. Your label has the CC1 code but your car doesn't. I would dig a little deeper. Maybe run a CarFax or what ever you have up north. Maybe a title search. I dont know what to tell you other than tear the car apart to find the secret VIN locations to confirm that the VIN matches. I know if I had that car thats what I would do. Hows that old movie line go? "I have ways to make you talk". Good luck, post back here when you get the packet. I'm curious as to what you will get. Buick wont do that down here but Chevy will for some reason.

Turbofish38 is right...the body bushings were left out on all Regals....I have never sean a mistake on the trunk label....there is an aftermarket company that makes those labels anyway you want them....

Pete

When you buy/sell a car in Ontario Canada you need a sellers package.It is like a carfax.I have this.It lists the car's history and a list of owners,as well as the mileage each time it was registered in a new owners name. I wasnt able to contact the first owner,but I was able to contact the third.This owner picked up the car in 1989.Back then it had 5000kms.He owned the car until 1997.He made no quams about saying that it was a solid roof car.Not the kind of thing that would go unnoticed,was his quote.The second owner is on holidays till next week.I will call him when he gets back.The report from GM VINTAGE SERVICES takes about 6 weeks to compile.I guess I'll have to wait.I did however do some thinking about the reproduction RPO code sticker.That might explain this.The car has been repainted.Maybe this could be a fake sticker.I'll decode the sticker and check it against EVERY option.Maybe there are more discreptcies.If this prooves to be a generic sticker...I will wait till I get my report from GM,record the original codes on the report, and have a reproduction sticker made to correct this.Dave

Bad Buick said:
When you buy/sell a car in Ontario Canada you need a sellers package.It is like a carfax.I have this.It lists the car's history and a list of owners,as well as the mileage each time it was registered in a new owners name. I wasnt able to contact the first owner,but I was able to contact the third.This owner picked up the car in 1989.Back then it had 5000kms.He owned the car until 1997.He made no quams about saying that it was a solid roof car.Not the kind of thing that would go unnoticed,was his quote.The second owner is on holidays till next week.I will call him when he gets back.The report from GM VINTAGE SERVICES takes about 6 weeks to compile.I guess I'll have to wait.I did however do some thinking about the reproduction RPO code sticker.That might explain this.The car has been repainted.Maybe this could be a fake sticker.I'll decode the sticker and check it against EVERY option.Maybe there are more discreptcies.If this prooves to be a generic sticker...I will wait till I get my report from GM,record the original codes on the report, and have a reproduction sticker made to correct this.Dave

I have to agree. Unless you're the original owner there really is NO way to truelly document what has happened to the car over it's life time, not really.
As for using CARFAX or the Canadian equivalent, you're really asking for false info.
My 86 GN is a prime example of just how screwed up CARFAX (and other similar entities) really are. I am the original owner. Literally bought it right off the delivery truck. Looking at CARFAX on it, there's statements of possible odometer fraud, and smog checks being completed in places I've never been within 100 miles of, etc. etc.
The reason for the odometer fraud statements is because the idiots that did the smog checks on the car when it was over 100,000, they forgot to anotate that, and it makes it appear that the odometer was rolled back several times during the past 20 years.

Sorry for the rambling, but my point is, unless you're the original owner you have no truely reliable way to verify it's history, especially from things like a sellers package or carfax.

I'm not trying to say whether the car is solid roof or not. There's just too many (paperwork/stickers) things that could have been changed/modified over the years.

The GM Canada documentation you're pursuing will resolve this. Let us know what happens...

strike

The tag under the hood of the car on the cowl should have a CC1 on it also for T-tops. Might check that just for grins. Otherwise, who knows what happened to it.

Back