running rich

oddfire6

guys, 87 GN was running perfectly until recently. it runs rich blowing black smoke. spits and sputters block learn is 90 coolant temp 175 closed loop any suggestions. thanks

Stock. Shows 6 on idle then 24 @ 2000 rpm. I'm goin out to check stuck injector or blown fuel psi regulator. Report back soon

Ok all plugs black. Regulator ok. Holds 45 psi for 15 minutes with engine off. Only thing I did different is made a cold air kit. The MAF is about 6 inches further away from the turbo and Inlet air temp sensor is after MAF sensor. Should I move sensor back before MAF....?

Ok all plugs black. Regulator ok. Holds 45 psi for 15 minutes with engine off. Only thing I did different is made a cold air kit. The MAF is about 6 inches further away from the turbo and Inlet air temp sensor is after MAF sensor. Should I move sensor back before MAF....?
The MAF is the most likely culprit.

The oil can destroy the maf if you put too much on the filter, so that it gets sucked into the sensor. I understand there is an electronics cleaner that may be able to clean the sensor w/o damaging it. But I don't know what it is, as I haven't used a maf for some time. Maybe someone(Mike at FTS knows) will chime in or you can do a search.

The oil can destroy the maf if you put too much on the filter, so that it gets sucked into the sensor. I understand there is an electronics cleaner that may be able to clean the sensor w/o damaging it. But I don't know what it is, as I haven't used a maf for some time. Maybe someone(Mike at FTS knows) will chime in or you can do a search.
I'm not sure if it's designed to clean the stock MAF as much as it's designed to clean the 3" and 3.5" aluminum LT1 and LS1 sensors. Rubbing alcohol is as good a cleaner as any for the aluminum sensors.
Salvage yards are a good source for these aluminum ones.I still have a bad taste in my mouth from the new plastic ones While they are the new and improved replacements,I think they forgot to add an adequate amount of improved.

2000 Camaro 5.7 LS1=3.5"
1999 Monte Carlo 3.1=3"
Both work very well with a Translator.
Obviously,the 3.5" will flow more air for when you make bigger power. I'd try to get one of these. If you can only find a 3",jump on it,as it's a direct fit and is a very good piece. The 3.5' will require adapter hoses ,but will take you farther down the road.

well ill tell you what, that stuff worked. i sprayed it and took a q-tip to it (figured it was junk anyway) and it runs as it used to. thanks for all the help guys....