Sally's GN build

So haven't been working on the car much, been doing house stuff.

But tonight I did some work, mostly working on getting her to look good.

Fixed my transmission lines.

Also found my oil leak problem from wiring being under the valve cover gaskets. So replaced those.

Got the EGR delete and ran new vacuum lines.

Fixed my old window molding with new trim and hardware. Also tinted the windows.

Then replaced all the factory speakers and deck out.

Last edited:
Oh and I need to find out why the car smokes so bad on start up. I moved it after not driving it for a while and it smoked bad. So did a compression test and every one tested fine and have great oil press. But once it greats warm its fine. Hope this ain't a normal turbo thing.

Well think I found my oil leak. Looks like it's coming from the back of the heads(head gasket). So I guess I'm going to call a vendor and order a built TA motor. Didn't even get to have fun with it. :(

Hi Sally, for whatever it's worth, head gaskets usually don't leak oil,unless something is structurally broken. With a GN, anything is a possibility.
Looking forward to your build!
Cheers!

Damn. Couldn't sleep so went out and test drove some more. It's coming out of the of the Pcv on the p/s. I put a breather on it and a 3 inch hose. But the oil looks to be coming out around the gromit on the lower intake manifold. Or could oil be getting out somewhere else?

Typical place for oil to leak especially if the block is getting pressurized.

Yea, I had that hole welded up shut a long time ago. Leaks are not tolerated in any way on my motor.

Is it me or…I looked at the pictures of your transmission on the first page (where the speedo cable is disconnected) but…there doesn't seem to be any speedo gear in there which would explain why the speedo doesn't work and also it might cause a leak because the little seal in there has nothing to "seal" against!…but again, it might just be the picture…o_O

Claude. ;)

Is it me or…I looked at the pictures of your transmission on the first page (where the speedo cable is disconnected) but…there doesn't seem to be any speedo gear in there which would explain why the speedo doesn't work and also it might cause a leak because the little seal in there has nothing to "seal" against!…but again, it might just be the picture…o_O

Claude. ;)

Oh I unscrewed it to see if there was a gear in there, but couldn't get the little rubber ring out. Also I'm going to pull the intake and lower intake manifold and see if I can find the leak.

My leak is bad, and its making me mad. lol

So if I take the bolt off how do I get that housing out to get to the gear?

Hi Sally, for whatever it's worth, head gaskets usually don't leak oil,unless something is structurally broken. With a GN, anything is a possibility.
Looking forward to your build!
Cheers!

Ya don't think I'm dumb. I was just thinking where else it could be leaking. Thought I fixed that leak.

Claude. ;)

You noticed that Claude? Maybe that tranny was built by the same guy who built mine! o_O He left the speedo gear out as well. Funny thing though, I didn't notice till I was 50 miles from the shop! :wacky:

Well, at least I have a driveshaft sensor for the XFI.

State police - "Son, do you know how fast you were going?"
Joey - "Just one minute Officer, I have to look at the recording on the laptop.":)

Pulled just now.

So what am I missing?

Your missing a plastic ring gear of sorts. It comes in different colors based on tire size and rear end ratio. It slips in that housing and is driven by those splines on the output shaft in the hole.

These valve cover gaskets love to leak,and that passenger side one is kind of a pita ,because of the a/c, so it usually gets neglected and not changed until it is leaking so bad it can't be ignored anymore,the oil will usually make it's way down the back of the engine and leak onto the crossover pipe just like yours is doing.Before you remove the intake,see if you can get a mirror back there and see if thats the source of the leak.
Also these cars are notorious for their rear mains leaking, most likely yours has been changed from the original rope type that leaked like no tomorrow,but you never know. Just a couple things to investigate.

I replaced my valve cover gaskets already. Then after went out for a drive and that picture is after.

Ya don't think I'm dumb. I was just thinking where else it could be leaking. Thought I fixed that leak.
Nah, Sally, I didn't think you were dumb. Just didn't want to see ya buy a new engine over an oil leak. Of course a built TA motor would be fun too!