SD Chip Street car yes or no? PROS and CONS?

87chrisss

BLUBYU
So thinking about SD chip car is street driven most of the time doesnt see much track use but occasionally ill go make a few passes, What do you guys think? SD chip? or keep the maf translator on there. Looking for some pros and cons..
i currently run the 6.1 wb chip with a translator and a maf getting tired of it want to try something new but car runs perfect so dont want to give myself a headache..

Without direct access to the entirety of the VE table you may have to go back and forth a few times with TT in order to resolve any drivability issues.

I have used the SD chip on 2 cars as well as 5 of my friends. They all work great and now drawbacks that I know of. Drive to the track 75 miles away, run 10s on 93 and alky and drive back. I get around 23 MPG on the highway going about 65-70MPH

I ran the sd chip with 120lb injectors on e85 and an innovative lc1 with a powerlogger. Set up ran perfect! Idled much better than stock, great tunability, great mpg, and great performance. Can not go wrong with it!

I definitely agree with the other guys here. I like my SD chip a lot.

I had a bit of a "lean spot" around 14" of vacuum, but Eric fixed it up.

I'm on E85 with 120's.

So with this chip you lose your Translator and MAF. What else is involved?

MAP sensor needs to be re-powered from the 5V ECM power (TPS power is typically used)
IAT sensor gets moved to somewhere ahead of the throttle body but after the intercooler. (no meth spray on the IAT)

And powerlogger is a must, as that's where the MAP signal comes in to the ECU.

Already have a PL. So all I have to do is relocate the IAT to the up pipe with a bung?
Yes, and change the 5V supply for the MAP sensor. MAP sensor 5V normally comes from the dash board cluster, which is kinda crappy. It can be rewired to TPS power behind the glove box. cut the 5V coming from the cluster and power the MAP from TPS 5V instead.

You know what I say? :D If it's not broke, don't fix. ;)

I can run speed density or maf with the tpro. I prefer maf translator mode but that's just me. I also run the maf in the up pipe (blow through). :p

Doesn't the alky kit from Julio already have the 3 bar powered from the tps?

That's how mine was done when I did it. I have a GNX style dash though so the MAP needed to be repowered.

To the OP, you said it runs good now. Many would kill for that. Are you bored or something? I agree with TBR, if it ain't broke...

You know what I say? :D If it's not broke, don't fix. ;)

I can run speed density or maf with the tpro. I prefer maf translator mode but that's just me. I also run the maf in the up pipe (blow through). :p

I'm with you Rick. I have run both ways with my pro. I've shifted back and forth many times over the last few years in an effort to get the perfect tune in either MAF or SD.

Presently running SD because I've got a VE table built (thanks to Bob's help) that is built especially for street driveability! The original VE table had 5 load points below 100 kPa, and 12 load points from 100 kPa and above.
The VE table I'm now using has 10 load points below 100 kPa, and 7 load points from 100 kPa and above. This means MANY MANY more cells in the "cruisiing" load/rpm band.

While the original table was "OK", the street manners with this new table are fantastic!!

Anyway, enough of that. My point was, the nice thing about the Translator Pro is the fact it has a full size 15 x 17 VE table, and literally dozens more tune features available (of course there are those that may not be a good fit with so many things to tweek).