You can type here any text you want

Sealed Power Lifters - all over the place

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

RossGN

I'm changing cam, lifters, and timing chain in my 87 GN. I got Sealed Power HT-969 lifters and soaked them in oil pryor to install. As went lifter to lifter, depressing the plunger to get the oil in there, the spring tensions are all over the place. The weakest bottoms with very little effort and then strongest can hardly be made to bottom at all....seems the others vary in spring strength between the two extremes. Has been a long time since I changed a cam, but I don not remember having this wide a spread in spring resistance.:confused: Anyone else have this problem with these lifters? As it stands, I think I will take them back and get GM.

Ross

Before you do take them apart and clean them. You may have some pumping up faster than others so the springs may be the same except for the oil/solvent in them. I learned a long time ago to take them apart and make sure to get all the solvent out. In one set I put the fluid in a coffe mug and ended up with it about 1/2 full. this also give you a chance to check the springs and clogged passages. It does happen sometimes.

I'm changing cam, lifters, and timing chain in my 87 GN. I got Sealed Power HT-969 lifters and soaked them in oil pryor to install. As went lifter to lifter, depressing the plunger to get the oil in there, the spring tensions are all over the place. The weakest bottoms with very little effort and then strongest can hardly be made to bottom at all....seems the others vary in spring strength between the two extremes. Has been a long time since I changed a cam, but I don not remember having this wide a spread in spring resistance.:confused: Anyone else have this problem with these lifters? As it stands, I think I will take them back and get GM.

Ross

its normal but not really a problem-----once the engine has started and the oil circulates the viscosity of oil in all the liftes will be the same and they will me very consistent--------motor will start fine even if they aren't "pumped up"-------it just means that the valve movement will not be 100% for the first few minutes but what does that matter for initial startup..........RC

Well finally got it put back together and I think I have a bad lifter....pretty loud tick, but I can't tell which side it's coming from....I put the stethoscope on each valve cover and they sound the same.

Well finally got it put back together and I think I have a bad lifter....pretty loud tick, but I can't tell which side it's coming from....I put the stethoscope on each valve cover and they sound the same.

I have only seen problems with the comp 853 lifters. Never once with HT-969's.

Not absolutely sure it is a lifter, but guess I'll get to digging tomorrow.

Not absolutely sure it is a lifter, but guess I'll get to digging tomorrow.

Adjustable valvetrain? It may take a half hour to totally quiet down. Some lifters take a while to pump up completely

What is the point of getting so complicated with lifters? I see posts regarding this regularly. I've never had a problem just throwing some the cam lube on the lifter and into the engine after a quick visual inspection + possibly a blast of compressed air just to make sure they are clean. I wonder how all this "soak them in oil first" business got started. It doesn't really make sense to me.

There was a issue with cosmoline /being clogged with grease and not pumping up. Now its a check due to paranoia

As pablo says, oil them up, put them in, start motor and vary rpms' to blend
it all together and all should be good and also use a break in oil too, check for leaks, oil press, yada yada, that is my story and I'm stickin to it.

Ron

The tick quietened down after abot 20 - 30 miles....sounds perfect now (except for a #$$%%^ exhaust leak).

Back