Sellers charging for Paypal fees

I think it's just a part of the transaction as the seller. If I remember correctly, it's against paypal rules to charge the fee to the buyer.

I know that was the rule when we started with pay pal long ago. Your account would be closed if Pay pal found out from the customer that you charged them the fees. Now that is going way back & I'm not sure if it changed.
You want to see a big Pay pal fees? Try an american express Credit card used thru pay pal. There was a flat rate fee & 5.5% as best I can figure on the transaction.

I obviously don't have the perspective that a vendor or big time seller has using paypal. I just usually sell stuff I no longer need, and I prefer to get paid using paypal. It saves me a lot of trouble. I don't charge buyers the fee. Then I turn around and use that money to buy other stuff that I do need. So I guess that's why it bothers me to pay a seller the fees when I already paid the fees on the stuff I sold. I'm paying it twice.

I admit it is easier for a buyer also, so maybe the fees should be just split so it's fair all around.

I have gotten burned from bad paypal deals. One time I bought a fender from some guy on ebay and he never sent it to me. Filed a dispute with paypal, and they were able to recover maybe 20% of what I paid. The guy just emptied his account and was gone. So there is no guarantee.

I obviously don't have the perspective that a vendor or big time seller has using paypal. I just usually sell stuff I no longer need, and I prefer to get paid using paypal. It saves me a lot of trouble. I don't charge buyers the fee. Then I turn around and use that money to buy other stuff that I do need. So I guess that's why it bothers me to pay a seller the fees when I already paid the fees on the stuff I sold. I'm paying it twice.

I admit it is easier for a buyer also, so maybe the fees should be just split so it's fair all around.

I have gotten burned from bad paypal deals. One time I bought a fender from some guy on ebay and he never sent it to me. Filed a dispute with paypal, and they were able to recover maybe 20% of what I paid. The guy just emptied his account and was gone. So there is no guarantee.

From the other side I have sold parts on e-bay & had them do a paypal dispute. They kept the parts & not return them. We were out of the $ & the parts.
Sent return labels etc.
I feel Pay pal is easier for both the buyer & the seller. They are in business to make $ & your paying a convenience fee. I May not agree with the fee but it is what it is.

I havent used Paypal or Ebay for a long time.. Fee's are crazy an to many scammers. I'd rather just use USPO MO's .. Just to save some aggravation.

The way I see it is, Paypal is a convenience for the seller. Instead of having to take money orders or checks to a bank and waiting for them to clear, they have instant money in their account.

Maybe I'm way off base, but I don't agree with this practice.
ur not off base at all. I agree 100%!!! I have NEVER charged anyone the 3% paypal charge ever. some have offered to pay on their own and I always appreciate it but have never asked anyone to pay the 3%.

its a way for me to lock the deal down immediately vs. waiting for someone to send out a check then change their mind...:rolleyes:

now, if ur making a very large purchase then paypal is more designed for accepting a deposit vs. say buying a complete car for $20k
and paying or losing an extra $600

Like anywhere else, if you don't like their terms, don't buy their product. Never charged anyone when I sold items on here and I have never paid a PP fee on anything I've bought... and don't plan to.

MO's at 711 stores cost $1 and at Walmart 95 cents..

I would rather get paid via a money order rather than PAYPAL.

Unfortunatly you will go out of buisness (if you own one) quick if you dont accept pay pal.

I've never been charged when I send a paypal as a gift.

The way I see it, if the buyer needs to get in his car, drive to the post office, buy a postal money order and pay to ship the postal money order.....thats a real pain in the butt. And the buyer has no backing what so ever.

So, why not send a paypal to the seller as a gift. It's quick, easy, instant, and no fees. Paypal wont protect the buyer if he sent it as a gift but I wouldnt buy anything from someone I dont trust in the first place. Why not use the feature that paypal offers? They wouldnt offer it if they didnt want you to use it.

I believe Paypal legally has to offer a free way to transfer money and that is via "gift." The only way they can charge is if they offer their protection.

Either way, I'm all for sending and recieving paypals as gifts. Works great!:biggrin:

I would say your right. But you have to use your paypal balance or your checking account. If you use a credit or debit card they charge you. I know when I tried it as a gift they wanted to charge me. I had it on my cc though so I didn't have to remember to put it in my checkbook. Below is from paypal.

It's always free to send money to friends and family when you use your PayPal balance or bank account. Fees apply only if the sender uses a credit or debit card, or if you receive any payment for goods or services.

I would say your right. But you have to use your paypal balance or your checking account. If you use a credit or debit card they charge you. I know when I tried it as a gift they wanted to charge me. I had it on my cc though so I didn't have to remember to put it in my checkbook. Below is from paypal.

It's always free to send money to friends and family when you use your PayPal balance or bank account. Fees apply only if the sender uses a credit or debit card, or if you receive any payment for goods or services.

Ahhh, ok that makes sense! I suppose it's probably not as safe to have the money come straight out of your account either? I think I read that above. I havent had any issues so far and I do try to keep a good chunk in there as a balance so I can buy new parts with the money from old parts I've since sold. That way I dont feel too bad buying new stuff!!!!!:biggrin:

To add to that, if someone uses their credit card to send money through PayPal using the "gift" option, I would think that the credit card company being used would also in turn apply that transaction to the higher "cash/withdrawl" interest rate instead of the likely lower "purchases" rate. Of course, if you someone who can pay each month without carrying a revolving balance it is not going to be an issue.

Otherwise, if you do have a revolving balance with different interest rates for purchases & cash withdrawls, that "gift" could end up costing you WAY more in interest than the 3% you saved sending the money to the seller. If I remember correctly, many credit card companies will apply your monthly payments to the lowest interest rate balance first. If that is the case and you are carrying a large balance at the lower rate, you would have to pay that off first before the balance of the "gift" transaction would stop racking up interest at as much as 25% annually or more. :eek:

As a buyer, I would never risk doing this type of transaction. As a seller, like many I just consider the 3% a part of the cost of having my occasional garage sale while being able to access an appliciable targeted audience.

I just posted parts for sale...added "perfer Postal Money order" if you want to use PAYPAL...add 3.5%. Thats fair and giving the option, correct?

:biggrin:

I just posted parts for sale...added "perfer Postal Money order" if you want to use PAYPAL...add 3.5%. Thats fair and giving the option, correct?

:biggrin:

What if someone uses Paypal but has money transfered from their Paypal balance or a bank account.Do they still have to pay the 3.5% even though Paypal won't charge you 3.5% ?

Well, let's say I was buying something.....like some injectors for $85. and they wanted to add 3.5% PP fees....that's $2.98. If I have to drive 6 miles in my Expedition to get the MO. I get 12mpg and @ $3.15 a gallon....that cost me $3.15+$1 for MO+2.98=$7.13. You have to drive to your bank to deposit the MO...that's over $3 in fuel for you as well.

That's over $10 added to the price of the transaction that neither of us get to enjoy......a lot of that $$$ goes to the Govt. with fuel taxes and PO MO fees. Let's just drop the extra PP fees and use that $$$ to stimulate the Turbo Buick economy in some other way !!! *grin*

I would like to add that *IF* you do send money as a gift you have no recourse should the deal go bad. In other words, if you send it as a gift and you don't get your parts you cannot file a claim with paypal and get your money back. I would advise against sending as gift if you do not know or trust the person 110%...

One time i bought an amp off ebay using paypal and when i received the box from the Post Office there was a piece of concrete in the box. I got my money back after filing a claim with paypal. Not sure if the seller packed it or if it happened in transit...

Of interest, I have found that you can place an ad and add in the Paypal fees in the price and don't add in the "for Paypal users add X%"....and still people want you to lower the price....but then if you ask for a compensation on the Paypal fees they oblige.

Also Paypal fees I believe are up to like 5.7% now...and not the typical 3-4% everyone was thinking of.

I don't see the big deal as a private seller of used parts. My asking price is negotiable anyway. Shipping is always more than the PayPal fee, so I pay it no mind. But when I sell parts it's primarily to just get rid of them, not make a ton of $$. If I made a living at it, I'd just build it into the asking price.

ur not off base at all. I agree 100%!!! I have NEVER charged anyone the 3% paypal charge ever. some have offered to pay on their own and I always appreciate it but have never asked anyone to pay the 3%.

its a way for me to lock the deal down immediately vs. waiting for someone to send out a check then change their mind...:rolleyes:

now, if ur making a very large purchase then paypal is more designed for accepting a deposit vs. say buying a complete car for $20k
and paying or losing an extra $600

X2! If your trying to get rich off your used parts obviously your going to tack on the 3% charge on top of the price of parts. Like it was said before, when I sell parts I'm just trying to unload them to get them out of my way. I make a few bucks for new parts and someone else gets a great deal. It is a convenience to both the seller and the buyer. I also will look elsewhere for a part when I see someone charging this fee. Why not just put the fee in with the price and I'll decide wether or not I want to buy the part(s). Money orders are a pain and easily counterfeited. I'd take paypal anyday.

When I sell the FIRST thing someone does is offer me a lower price than I put on my items, so how can you figure in the 3% in your initial cost??? I don't charge the fee if it's a PayPal balance. My shipping cost is the actual shipping cost it cost me, based on weight and zip code to ship the item to the person. I am 14 miles away from the PO. So I am not out here trying to rape anybody or get rich selling used parts. But 3% can add up pretty quick, especially if you sell a few thing in the $800 to $1,000 dollar range. I'll gladly accept a MO, Bank check, or personal check.

Some say that PP fees are a additional transaction fee......why not add in $8 that you pay for having a checking account too.

3% PP fees are like the fuel surcharge that the airlines are gouging us with...simply BS and a way to get more money.