Series II L67 Grand National??!!??

Looks sweet! Are you running the OBD2 computer with that setup and a custom tune or is it OBD1 with a chip?

He's running a custom tuned OBD2 PCM (based on the 1998 Camaro/Firebird 3800/4L60E programming).

I've been chomping at the bit to do one of these swaps myself. I do 3800 Series 2 SC swaps all the time in Fieros and a few other cars. I've also done a couple of 3800 Series 2 Turbo conversions. I visited this car a few times while it was under construction since my good friend (Dave @ TripleEdgePerformance) was doing the conversion. I must say that he and Cody stole my idea :D or at least beat me to it :mad::biggrin:.

Soon I will have my own GN and it will be getting a Turbo 3800 Series 2 conversion using a 4L60E built by TripleEdge; but I have other bills to pay at the moment so that will need to wait. Until that happens the best I can do is live vicariously thru my customers by offering my services to do this swap for anyone who wants one (and is willing to wait on my shop's waiting list). But, like my friend who did this conversion, I don't think I will be offering any conversion parts for mail-orders. Like him, I run a very small shop and must build most of this stuff by hand; I'm certainly not set up for mass-production. But everything gets custom built to the car so it is as clean and neat as possible. Don't worry, any wear items (like mount bushings and such) will be off-the-shelf replaceable; it's just the mounting brackets, wiring, and such that will be custom built.

If anyone is interested in having one of these swaps done and you don't mind being put on a waiting list; shoot me a PM or email me and I would be happy to discuss it.

-ryan
sp1@gmtuners.com

I've followed this thread slightly for the past year or so and this is very interesting and innovative.
Ok.....here's what I want to know, what about a manual trans? And is this something that is do-able in 3rd gen T/A's? As much as I like my TTA, I've always had this "dream" of making my own Turbo Tans Am....the way I'd do it; a 91-92 T/A(my favorite of the 3rd gen's) with a LC2, 5/6 speed trans, how fun it would be. But after reading this....if I ever built it, I'd much rather build a turbo 3800 S2.

I've followed this thread slightly for the past year or so and this is very interesting and innovative.
Ok.....here's what I want to know, what about a manual trans? And is this something that is do-able in 3rd gen T/A's? As much as I like my TTA, I've always had this "dream" of making my own Turbo Tans Am....the way I'd do it; a 91-92 T/A(my favorite of the 3rd gen's) with a LC2, 5/6 speed trans, how fun it would be. But after reading this....if I ever built it, I'd much rather build a turbo 3800 S2.

Why not? I would imagine you could use any trans you wanted (5 or 6 speed) as long as you could get a bellhousing or adapter so it would bolt up to the 3800. I do OBD2 PCM reprograms for 3800 SC (L67) swaps all the time that use a manual trans, so there should be no issue with that aspect even if you went turbo.

-ryan

Why not? I would imagine you could use any trans you wanted (5 or 6 speed) as long as you could get a bellhousing or adapter so it would bolt up to the 3800. I do OBD2 PCM reprograms for 3800 SC (L67) swaps all the time that use a manual trans, so there should be no issue with that aspect even if you went turbo.

-ryan
The T5 wil l bolt on with a 4th Gen F-body bellhousing. The trans is a weird hybrid though. GM input and output shafts in a Ford case with Ford gear ratios. The good news is that all the Ford tricks for strengthening the T5 will work but I think if you change input shafts you might have pilot bearing and shaft length issues. The 3800 shares the Metric 60 bellhousing pattern with the 2.8, 3.1, and 3.4 so theoretically (never confirmed by me personally) anything behind a Metric 60 V6 in an F-body or S-10 would bolt in but there could be flywheel issues.

Bendtsen's offers an adapter to put any Chevy trans behind a 3800. It's intended for Automatics though I'm pretty sure since it has a plate that bolts onto the back (trans side) of the stock flexplate. Could give him a call.

I've been chomping at the bit to do one of these swaps myself. I do 3800 Series 2 SC swaps all the time in Fieros and a few other cars. I've also done a couple of 3800 Series 2 Turbo conversions. I visited this car a few times while it was under construction since my good friend (Dave @ TripleEdgePerformance) was doing the conversion. I must say that he and Cody stole my idea :D or at least beat me to it :mad::biggrin:.

-ryan
sp1@gmtuners.com

I'd like to hear a little more about this fiero...turbo/injectors/IC?....do you have a thread for it?

I'd like to hear a little more about this fiero...turbo/injectors/IC?....do you have a thread for it?

No thread, but here's a link to a webpage devoted to my personal Fiero (3800 Series 2 Intercooled Turbo): 1987 Pontiac Fiero 3800 Series II Turbocharged

I built another Turbocharged 3800 Series 2 Fiero for a customer and he just ran 11.3 @ 121mph. His car, like mine is also still using the stock cam (we both have 1.8 roller rockers and ported heads) but he has a bigger turbo (T61) and bigger IC than I do. You can check out his car here: AkursedX Fiero L67 Turbo

I like that Bendtsens adapter for the 3800 If I ever get my project going ,Im planning that route with a 200r4 with a stand alone lock up and I can use a cable for the speedo.

t5 will bolt up 6 spped from fbody can be made to work for some $$$$

-ryan

even the built Gforce T5 will break lol one guy broke his a few times already

Glad to see the project is coming along, I was hoping you had put a fast in it so you can tell me what i need to buy/do to make it work lol :eek::eek:

I like that Bendtsens adapter for the 3800 If I ever get my project going ,Im planning that route with a 200r4 with a stand alone lock up and I can use a cable for the speedo.

I mentioned that bendtsens adaptor to a friend with an l67 in a rock crawler I have been doing some tuning on and he said his adaptor was $75 and a bit of fabrication , he is running a 700r4 4wd unit so there are cheaper ways - glad he is in my corner;)

0625082032.jpg

Are you still running the stock 3800 3/8" plastic fuel "rail" to the injectors?
Were Russell Performance LT1/LS1 OEM hard line to -6 AN adapter fittings (PN: 640850 - pictured below) used to adapt the fuel rail to braided hose?

640850_lg.jpg

Thanks!

Are you still running the stock 3800 3/8" plastic fuel "rail" to the injectors?
Were Russell Performance LT1/LS1 OEM hard line to -6 AN adapter fittings (PN: 640850 - pictured below) used to adapt the fuel rail to braided hose?

640850_lg.jpg

Thanks!

I can't speak for what Dave used on Cody's GN, but I use these Russell quick-connect 3/8 and 5/16 to -6 AN fittings all the time in my Turbo swaps that use the Camaro/Firebird intake. I don't recommend anyone use the OE nylon (plastic) fuel lines with a turbo setup or any kind of swap for that matter.

-ryan

I can't speak for what Dave used on Cody's GN, but I use these Russell quick-connect 3/8 and 5/16 to -6 AN fittings all the time in my Turbo swaps that use the Camaro/Firebird intake. I don't recommend anyone use the OE nylon (plastic) fuel lines with a turbo setup or any kind of swap for that matter.

-ryan
Thanks for the reply Ryan. I got a little confused when I posted that previous message from work. I could have sworn that the fuel rail on my F-body 3800 was nylon, but got home and sure enough, they're metal lines. D'oh!

Good to know the connectors work since they are expensive little buggers and of course they are only advertised as LT1/LS1 adapters. I plan to run stainless EFI lines under the car and use braided hose in the engine bay - probably the same thing Dave did on Cody's car.

Cheers!

Thanks for the reply Ryan. I got a little confused when I posted that previous message from work. I could have sworn that the fuel rail on my F-body 3800 was nylon, but got home and sure enough, they're metal lines. D'oh!

Good to know the connectors work since they are expensive little buggers and of course they are only advertised as LT1/LS1 adapters. I plan to run stainless EFI lines under the car and use braided hose in the engine bay - probably the same thing Dave did on Cody's car.

Cheers!

Yea they aren't cheap but they work and look good. Just make sure you get both sizes because your fuel rail has two different sizes (3/8 & 5/16). Both adapters convert to -6 AN so that's all you need for braided line and hose ends. IF you plan on running E85 in this car in the future, I highly recommend you get braided line that is rated for use with ethanol. Some of it sold is not. As far as interfacing to the lines in your car; if you are running new stainless lines then all you will need is fittings for that. I suggest using stainless AN tube nuts and sleeves on stainless line since that stuff is harder than aluminum (the stainless nuts and sleeves will be harder than aluminum too to work better with the harder fuel line).

no updates as of yet, been hammered with personal issues going on. May try to get the car tweaked back into action this weekend. Then back to the body shop next week to get finished.

Wont really have time for the track or any breakthroughs till Sept to be honest. We will see how things go, I may start a new thread once I do get back to the track. this on is getting a little big