Shifting your Manual VB 400

V8killR4U

How do you guys feel after switching from your 200 to a 400 with a Manual VB. Especially those who street race. Do you just consider it a another complication (bouncing off the rev limiter and what not) Seems to me the rpms come up so quick its just like, geez i wish i had an automatic VB. I mean 1st is useless and second breaks loose too. I guess If you had a set of slicks or some MT drag radials you might not worry so much but i have Nittos :eek:mfg: Just lookin for some of your guys opinions and wondered if you switch back to the 200 or went with a auto 400 VB. Watching shifts points on the tach, looking at the scanmaster for knock and not to mention driving just seems like more added complication ?

Thoughts?

Go with whatever makes you comfortable. If you can't get used to judging engine rpm by sound and pull (can't be watching the tach all the time on the street), then maybe automatic shifting should be the way you go.

good move

i still have the 200 in my personal car but rode in a friends with the 400 reverse mvb...car has a te45 and 4k stall and is a blast to drive....a shift light is a must and i like the trans not dropping back into another gear when going to wot...i am going to a 400 reverse mvb with a brake:) but i think Chris at CK has automatic valve body now if you don't want to shift all the time..................................................hth Bob

Go with whatever makes you comfortable. If you can't get used to judging engine rpm by sound and pull (can't be watching the tach all the time on the street), then maybe automatic shifting should be the way you go.

Thats normally how i shift now by sound. I havnt really street raced the car but when driving at night, my shift light is nice. I think Ill wait and see what happens when i really start racing the car come spring. Spent alot of money on having a 200 built only to have it break in about 40 miles :mad: So i just went with the 400. I will be making some decent power, but not having to worry about shifting and having OD would have been nice. I heard Lonnie Diars makes a good 200 but it would be round 3500 for what i wanted :frown: Oh well we'll see how it works out.

This is 1988 Olds, I'm on my dad's name.

Anyway I was in the same boat as you. I had broken a 200R4 a couple times and decided to go to a Reverse MVB 400. I honestly can say I love it over the 200R4. It shifts alot firmer plus like you said it doesn't downshift at wot. You get to pick whatever gear you want. I daily drive the car and I personally find it more fun to drive now then when it was fully automatic. I know what you mean about 1st going by so fast. Basically I could go through 1st in a second if I didn't ease into the thortle. So in my opinion I am happy with switching but thats just one person's opinion. I'm 21 so I'm into the whole shifting thing, honestly wish we woulda done a T-56 swap lol. Good Luck with whatever you get. If you have any more questions you cam email me at Tapviper@aol.com or I'm always online at aim Tapviper.