Similar or better replacement for a TE45A?

I went 137mph with a 63mm cast compressor, p trim turbine with a .63. This is around 700 maybe 750 fwhp. Mid to high 9s is when you would want to switch to a .85 housing. Otherwise you are just adding lag.

You told us in post # 40 that you dynoed your CAR. Any reasonable person would assume that the dyno you were talking about would have been a chassis dyno.
The hp number you gave from that dyno run was 767. Any reasonable person,after concluding that the dyno was a chassis dyno,would assume that the hp number you gave was the amount of power that your rear tires introduce to the ground.
When asked,you said the number represented hp at the flywheel.
When your car was run on the dyno in the picture,how much power did it put to the ground?

According to Clint ( sydwinder) the numbers on the screen after the dyno run represented fly wheel HP . I was told rwhp was about 80% , so that's 767 x .8 = aprox, 613rwhp
I thought it was strange the the display from a chassis dyno was fly wheel HP , but thats what I was told . Hope that clears it up .

Last edited:
The point of me posting the dyno results was to show the difference between the two turbos , be it fwhp or rwhp they were both done on the same dyno with no other changes and one made significantly more power .(y)

Check the temp on the exhaust housing with one of those temp guns on Amazon after making back to 1/4 passes. Check the .63 vs .82. Your running it hot at that HP level. Anything over 500hp I'd use a .82 to play it safe.

I've seen Sam's car a bunch...fkn sweet and one of my favorites.
Mid 1300 on the .63 ex housing on a car that traps in excess of 135mph in the 1/4 at 3800+ lbs

I went 137mph with a 63mm cast compressor, p trim turbine with a .63. This is around 700 maybe 750 fwhp. Mid to high 9s is when you would want to switch to a .85 housing. Otherwise you are just adding lag.

I totally agree.... But the pte .63 is misleading advertised housing....it's more like .78. PTE should list it .78 and their .85 as a .9 cuz that's what they are for the Buicks. Tnetics are advertised correctly.

At 135mph we have better options than a true .63 housing. Cyclinder pressure is thru the roof. Have a few sets of head gaskets on the shelf. 600+WHP of exhaust thru a tiny .63 is asking for trouble.

I totally agree.... But the pte .63 is misleading advertised housing....it's more like .78. PTE should list it .78 and their .85 as a .9 cuz that's what they are for the Buicks. Tnetics are advertised correctly.

At 135mph we have better options than a true .63 housing. Cyclinder pressure is thru the roof. Have a few sets of head gaskets on the shelf. 600+WHP of exhaust thru a tiny .63 is asking for trouble.
The car I'm giving you info on does not have head gasket issues and has a lot of time on it,its all in the tune.also shift rpm which doesn't seem to get discussed enough is a major factor in choosing ex wheels and housings.

What is temp considered hot or too hot ?? Is it different for E85 than gas ?

I would consider high 1500's to be average. The temps would vary wildly depending on the load, turbine speed, etc. etc. Also , where you place the probe... Mines mounted right before the turbo. Pre turbo numbers are much more reliable than post turbo. Post turbo numbers will vary widely based on the amount of energy being extracted by the turbo.

I've seen 1700+ at high boost and high timing with race fuel.

I would consider high 1500's to be average. The temps would vary wildly depending on the load, turbine speed, etc. etc. Also , where you place the probe... Mines mounted right before the turbo. Pre turbo numbers are much more reliable than post turbo. Post turbo numbers will vary widely based on the amount of energy being extracted by the turbo.

I've seen 1700+ at high boost and high timing with race fuel.

Do you happen to have a photo of where yours is specifically located please?

If not, could you give a description of how to locate the ideal spot for the EGT probe?

My EGT probe is mounted just after the stock O2 sensor pre turbo . Last night I saw 1350 and climbing on a WOT blast , but it wasn't as long as a 1/4 pass.

Mid 1300 on the .63 ex housing on a car that traps in excess of 135mph in the 1/4 at 3800+ lbs

When I talking about "hot" I meant a digital Infrared thermometer..lol...check the temp on that .63 housing after back to back passes. Bet it's a lot hotter than a .82

I am sure cylinder pressure were super high too.

My system holds a little more heat due to the Swain Tech white lightning coating on the headers , cross over & downpipe .

When I talking about "hot" I meant a digital Infrared thermometer..lol...check the temp on that .63 housing after back to back passes. Bet it's a lot hotter than a .82

I am sure cylinder pressure were super high too.
Mine is ceramic coated.i have run them both and I wouldn't put my hand on either of them;)

To sum up for the OP your turbo is too big and what ever you do,if you keep the 45a,don't switch to a bigger exhaust housing. What,he kept the 45a and switched to a bigger exhaust housing? Well,at least he'll never blow a head gasket. Of course,he'll never be able to leave on anyone either,but his exhaust housing will be much cooler when he checks it after a run. Quick,get out and point this at my turbine housing. Oh,I almost forgot,we need to do something to lower cylinder pressures. I suppose that would also help reduce the possibility of blowing head gaskets. See that guy over there? He's never blown a head gasket. Is that why all of those hot blonds are always hanging out by him?

flywheel . Your build is very similar to mine except I'm on E85 & at 28 psi .

It's good to see the old 45a make over 700 hp. But I am really surprised you made over 60hp more with the 6465 at the same boost and timing. Those little billet wheel turbos are impressive. I also agree you car should be over 135 mph with your horsepower now.

The point of me posting the dyno results was to show the difference between the two turbos , be it fwhp or rwhp they were both done on the same dyno with no other changes and one made significantly more power .(y)

Just curious, what did you mph trap with your old 9/11 ? Locked? I know what converter your running now.