You can type here any text you want

Simple subwoofer install

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

gnXfan

GNless but Debtfree too!
What is the easiest / econo way to take the bass out of the 4 speakers and shove them in the trunk? ie, i am NOT a stereo guy but my speakers cannot handle all the bass that the radio puts out. What should i do walking into Circuit City? Will one of those small, compact and neat 99 dollar subs hidden in my trunk help enough?

THx much,

_BOB

you can buy bass blockers and put them on the small speakers, or better yet, buy a crossover and hook them up to the speakers and you can control what frequencies go to each speaker. you can buy an amp with a built in x-over and buy a box with a 10" or 12" ( your personal preference) or a bazooka bass tube.

You said easiest and most economical so here's my suggestion:

Go to Best Buy or Circuit City and buy four bass blockers for each of your 4 speakers. The cost about $10 a pair. They are easy to hook up. Just remove the positive speaker lead of each speaker and install the bass blocker in line there. Now, find a 10" sub woofer on sale for about $50-$75 and install it in a small sealed enclosure. Enclosures should cost about $70-80. Lastly, buy a 2 channel amp on sale. Make sure the amp will do two things:

1) Can be hooked up in the bridged mode and will provide at least 100 watts bridged.
2) Has line level inputs so you can use your current rear channel speaker wires as inputs.

You should be able to get the amp for just under $100 if you shop. So, you'll have about $250 - $275 invested and will have some decent bass in the rear with all the real low bass blocked from your regular speakers. Good Luck,

I would think your'e gonna need alot more than 100W rms to drive a sub in a sealed enclosure.....If you wanna get sumthing cheap, easy to hook up and EFFICIENT, get a bazooka. about $160.

100 watts RMS will provide really decent bass as long as the Sub provides decent sound pressure. Entry level subs like Rockford Fosgate Punch, MTX 4000, and others will do well with 100 watts as long as one doesn't expect to blow the deck lid out. I'm running a RF HE 10" sub from the 5th channel of my Kenwood amp which supplies 120 watts RMS to the sub. It's installed in a .75 cu ft sealed enclosure. I've got more than enough bass for very loud music without distortion. It will not win a SpL contest but has great sound quality. Remember, he said simple and economical. But, now that you mention it, the Bazooka is also an economical approach. Will the $160 version provide as good a bass as a 10" in a sealed box? I've never tried one. myself.

Back