You can type here any text you want

Slicks or Drag Radials

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Ed Valvo

Seems like a ton of fast cars are running MT DR's. Are they better than real slicks? Or are we just lazy to change wheels at the track. ;)

tires

Seems like a ton of fast cars are running MT DR's. Are they better than real slicks? Or are we just lazy to change wheels at the track. ;)

I have 2 sets---275-60-15 MT drag radial and a set of 29-10-15 Goodyear slicks. @ the track the MT will not hold once boost comes on--slicks will.

Slicks are generally much easier to make work, radials are faster & more stable if you take the time to set up the suspension right. Slicks will always be better on a marginal track also.

The MT drag radials have a stiff side wall where not all slicks have them unless you order them that way.... and all the fast car are limiting their boost where it comes in at differant times of the run too... they are alot of people just put the slicks to take the place for not working on their suspension, and make these car work on reg radials is not that hard.. i just got my gn back running 3 weeks ago and had a 1.75 60ft on reg ole radial tires 275x60 grand am tires. also went 7.53 at 94 mph on pump gas and no alky too.. and still alot in it..... so work on you suspension.

We had a Mustang that was leaving with 14 psi at the line and it is a rocket going down the track. Dyno'd around 900 whp and the radials held the power with ease. If you have your car setup right you won't have to put slicks on.

For those who drive a lot, would DR's not be a good choice in tires? Especially if you like the curves. ;)

DR's are not a good choice for curves :wink:. Falken, Hankooks or BFG's would be a good choice for corners.

From what I've heard and Marc at SC&C reiterated was that the nitto 555r dragradials were actually very good in the twistys

DR's are not a good choice for curves :wink:. Falken, Hankooks or BFG's would be a good choice for corners.

I guess I should really decide what wheels I am going to use daily/ track/ street playing. I have the original 85 GN wheels on there now with Pep Boys radials, plus a pair of T Type rims (same as GN minus the black paint) drilled for rim screws with 26x10.5x15 ET streets (worn to death...), a set of 4 GTA fronts with no tires, plus a set of Cragar Superlites in 3 1/2 front and 8.5" rear with street tires...

Need something a little stickier though. :biggrin:

Anything in the 11's on down, dr's are a everyday tire. Slicks will always be better at the track with less suspension tuning.

Back