Sloppy Steering

TURBO2

I have a 1986 GN and my steering is very sloppy. If the road has any contours to it, the car will follow it. I tried a suggestion to tighten up the steering box and it made no difference so I ordered a new box. With the new steering box, different rims and tires, and a front end alignment it still has made no change. The mechanic that did the work said that the rag bushing looked like new and the suspension pieces were all good. What could be causing this?

I have a 1986 GN and my steering is very sloppy. If the road has any contours to it, the car will follow it. I tried a suggestion to tighten up the steering box and it made no difference so I ordered a new box. With the new steering box, different rims and tires, and a front end alignment it still has made no change. The mechanic that did the work said that the rag bushing looked like new and the suspension pieces were all good. What could be causing this?

I have the same issue on my 87.
I had to change upper and lower ball joint to tall, shocks, arms, and add a. Bumpsteer kit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh and adding a thicker rear sway bar helped alot

If you still have the rag joint in the steering shaft that causes a lot of slop
. That’s why a lot of ppl replace it with a Jeep steering shaft to eliminate that rag joint .

The rag joint could look alright but I’m sure that’s what’s causing your play in the wheel .

If you still have the rag joint in the steering shaft that causes a lot of slop
. That’s why a lot of ppl replace it with a Jeep steering shaft to eliminate that rag joint .
Do you know what part number to use to get the right Jeep shaft?

Do you know what part number to use to get the right Jeep shaft?
I don’t know the part number I pulled mine at a junk yard . I believe it came out of a 90s Jeep Grand Cherokee. If u do a search on here I’m sure you will find a part number.

Have you made any progress on your steering problems? I'm chasing steering slop as well, although I don't have any issue with mine following the road contours.

Have you made any progress on your steering problems? I'm chasing steering slop as well, although I don't have any issue with mine following the road contours.

Stock wheels?