You can type here any text you want

Smokin the Buick

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Get a Buick power source book Vince. It will help you understand more about the engine and what you can do. Most of it's stage stuff but the oiling mods ect will help you make power. There's also another book called How to hotrod your Buick V6. It has a little more in it about the stock block engine.

I will check it out...Most of these machine shops are really clue less around here.. There is one guy in NJ who is pretty good with them but he wants an arm and a leg for everything.. These kind of guys get a little reckoninition and it all goes to their head...they think everything they have is gold..

Well if it helps I had my original engine in the 80's done by Rhee and Morrison, the guys that did the Indy Buick motors. It was $600 then just to machine the bores. If it's the guy I think in NJ then he's well worth the money.

Yep...its the guy in Kennelworth, He does excellent work and is one of the best in the US... Last year I called him and He was over 3 grand just for assembling and boring the short block....Back about 40 years ago I think It was about 30 dollars a cly... I will have to give him another call..
What I have been reading is to put on a girdle on the mains and get the mains groved, And make sure the front is on the engine and the girdle bolted on before it is aline bored with the bore plate bolted to the head... Somkey was saying to weld up the rear dog bone on the block on each side then have it resurfaced for extra sealing and strength...but other people are saying that was really unecessary. :cool:

Yep...its the guy in Kennelworth, He does excellent work and is one of the best in the US... Last year I called him and He was over 3 grand just for assembling and boring the short block....Back about 40 years ago I think It was about 30 dollars a cly... I will have to give him another call..
What I have been reading is to put on a girdle on the mains and get the mains groved, And make sure the front is on the engine and the girdle bolted on before it is aline bored with the bore plate bolted to the head... Somkey was saying to weld up the rear dog bone on the block on each side then have it resurfaced for extra sealing and strength...but other people are saying that was really unecessary. :cool:

Smokey knew how to make power for sure. You don't need to weld the block but the 6445 heads will help you make power because the water passeges on both ends of the heads are partially closed, which makes for a more stable gasket mounting. At the power level the draw through systems make you don't need a girdle.

Groving the mains is an idea since they suffer from lack of oil to some degree but you can get 2 aets of main bearings and do 360 degree oiling. I will doing this myself.:smile:

I just tried calling a bunch of machine shops around here and nobody is that sharp with the Buick...pretty much Chevy and Ford... So I was thinking ...the hell with it...I would just take it to a Real Buick Pro.. Jack Merkel Performance engines in Kenilworth, NJ.... This guy is like Mr. Buick....He has put together some of the hottest Buicks around.. Anyway he gave me a price of around 500-600 bucks just to bore it out and fit the forged pistons ...also clean it and put in new plugs and cam bearings... He has the torque plates and the whole bit...After taking a motor to to a new machine shop a long time ago and having them set it up wrong I think I have learned my lesson... Now I just have to pull it out of the car....good thing I have that cherry picker... He is only about an hour and a half from me.....:cool:

I just tried calling a bunch of machine shops around here and nobody is that sharp with the Buick...pretty much Chevy and Ford... So I was thinking ...the hell with it...I would just take it to a Real Buick Pro.. Jack Merkel Performance engines in Kenilworth, NJ.... This guy is like Mr. Buick....He has put together some of the hottest Buicks around.. Anyway he gave me a price of around 500-600 bucks just to bore it out and fit the forged pistons ...also clean it and put in new plugs and cam bearings... He has the torque plates and the whole bit...After taking a motor to to a new machine shop a long time ago and having them set it up wrong I think I have learned my lesson... Now I just have to pull it out of the car....good thing I have that cherry picker... He is only about an hour and a half from me.....:cool:
wow! that some big $
I doubt you'll be disappointed but your wallet will be thiner for sure.

x2

Now that I am over my Flu...am just waiting for a warmer day to pull my motor and Trans.. So I can take the Block down to the Man ... Was just reading about a Hot Air Turbo in a Buick that was running 11 seconds Quarters with hardly no mods on the engine...Just a really good tune...was also reading how hard it was to tune it to get it to run that well...There was a little Alchol added to the mix too...Seemed like it was a real balancing act.:cool::D

Don't get overly excited here Vince. SFI is much more advanced that the draw though system and makes better power currently. Just don't get your hopes up to much.

Back