You can type here any text you want

Smooth Riding, No Squeaking Grand National-Possible?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

MCH86GN

I have an 86 GN and it is not a smooth riding as I would like it to be and it is squeaky. I have replaced the front springs, upper and lower control arms. I didn't change the shocks, but I am pretty sure that they aren't stock. I have not done anything to the rear suspension. Almost everything is stock, again I am not sure about the shocks. I have rear seat braces, I have the underhood braces, the frame braces in the front, bigger rear sway bar from full throttle. I also have air bags.
I know it might be kind of hard to make any recommendations with riding in the car or hearing it. Are there any suggestions to help with the squeakiness and overall ride comfort? Would new shocks, replacing and putting in any missing body bushing, new control arms in the rear help at all. This car does see track time, however, it sees much more cruising.
Thanks.

Sounds like our cars set up,With all the bracing is the same. Curious since I get plenty of sounds also. My car is going to Aggressive performance soon for upgrades. So was going to ask Bruce about the suspension while it is there

Sounds like our cars set up,With all the bracing is the same. Curious since I get plenty of sounds also. My car is going to Aggressive performance soon for upgrades. So was going to ask Bruce about the suspension while it is there
Let me know what Bruce says. I am sure he knows, I didn't even think about asking him. I just picked my car up from Aggressive a few weeks ago, had my CAM replaced.

Will let you know after I talk with him. Waiting for parts I ordered to arrive before taking the car over to him. Parts should be in late this week early next week hopefully

Will let you know after I talk with him. Waiting for parts I ordered to arrive before taking the car over to him. Parts should be in late this week early next week hopefully
Thanks, Bruce really knows his stuff and he has never done anything above and beyond what I needed. He does try and save you money and that is why he has probably never said anything about my suspension. It is not horrible, but bothersome to me. Bruce is concerned with your car running well, above all.

Yeah he seems to want it running perfect before it leaves his shop . and he spent plenty of time going over stuff with me. can't wait to get my car over there. Boost will be turned up to 25# when it leaves his shop :D. I did ask about my suspension when I talked to him last and he said no problem will check things out when its there

I went through replacing everything on my car as well, front suspension, rear suspension, braces, shocks, etc and still had some rattles/squeaks. I finally replaced the body mounts and could not believe the difference. Even if you just replaced the mounts and left everything else alone you would notice a huge difference. My car has 207k miles and rides better than other TR's with a quarter of the mileage.

I went through replacing everything on my car as well, front suspension, rear suspension, braces, shocks, etc and still had some rattles/squeaks. I finally replaced the body mounts and could not believe the difference. Even if you just replaced the mounts and left everything else alone you would notice a huge difference. My car has 207k miles and rides better than other TR's with a quarter of the mileage.

I believe you, body mounts make a huge difference, although I am not sure about poly, they may make things a little harsher?

I have the poly ones and the car just feels solid. I run Bilsteins as well and the polys can be a bit jarring on very rough roads, but the car still doesnt rattle or squeak.

Just removed the OEM bushings on a 124K T Type.. JUNK! All but 1 was crushed beyond recognition, bottom parts were never there, on all but 4. Bolts were hitting the body due to the collapsed bushings.
A big source of rattles, is the windows. Squeeks...The rear hood support bumper will give the sensation that the windshield is loose.
Door hinges are a source.

Have a 165,000 mile 87 T-type here with energy suspension body mounts, beefed up rear sway bar, and KYB shocks. everything else is stock rubber. very nice riding and driving car.

P7220237.jpg

I've pushed cars to the point of no return when it comes to stiffness in suspension parts. A road I wont go back down. I feel there is a general rule of thumb that needs to be followed and a general perception of MARKETING that needs to be re-analized.

There are many styles of bushings available, the general concensus thinks POLLY right away when it comes to bushings becuase they are marketed and printed all over magazines. The simple fact is, they are cheap to produce and sell. Now there are many areas in the vehicle you need to think about. Moving parts, parts with side loads, non moving parts, etc.

It's pretty simple to pick and chose to fit the bushings to your needs and what you may feel to be comfortable. It's an obvious choice if you want comfort, use stock replacement bushings all over. If you want performance, polly can be a good balance but tend to squawk and get brittle on moving parts, Johnny Joint, Del Rin, etc.

I like to use a balance, Polly on the body (non moving), rubber in the lower A Arms to give it sme cushion, Del rin style on the upper A Arms, and Johhny Joint style bushings in the rear to keep it stiff and let the rear articulate.

Many different companies call the same style bushing many different things but essentially, they are all similar.

If I was to do a simple bushing swap, I'd do the polly on the body, Moog problem solvers everywhere else.

Kinda agree with Jeremy here. The chasis and suspension have to work together and it has to have at least some flex to it or it will ride like a deuce and a half unloaded.:rolleyes: If you don't know what that is I can tell you it's a rough ass ride.;) If you get everything right then you'll like the way it rides but if you make it to soft or hard you'll want to get rid of it and get something else.:oops:

I've pushed cars to the point of no return when it comes to stiffness in suspension parts. A road I wont go back down. I feel there is a general rule of thumb that needs to be followed and a general perception of MARKETING that needs to be re-analized.

There are many styles of bushings available, the general concensus thinks POLLY right away when it comes to bushings becuase they are marketed and printed all over magazines. The simple fact is, they are cheap to produce and sell. Now there are many areas in the vehicle you need to think about. Moving parts, parts with side loads, non moving parts, etc.

It's pretty simple to pick and chose to fit the bushings to your needs and what you may feel to be comfortable. It's an obvious choice if you want comfort, use stock replacement bushings all over. If you want performance, polly can be a good balance but tend to squawk and get brittle on moving parts, Johnny Joint, Del Rin, etc.

I like to use a balance, Polly on the body (non moving), rubber in the lower A Arms to give it sme cushion, Del rin style on the upper A Arms, and Johhny Joint style bushings in the rear to keep it stiff and let the rear articulate.

Many different companies call the same style bushing many different things but essentially, they are all similar.

If I was to do a simple bushing swap, I'd do the polly on the body, Moog problem solvers everywhere else.

Old thread, but I'm doing my bushings soon. I was going to do stock replacements from Kirban all around top and bottom, but I would like to do a combo style mentioned. I like comfort, but I want it to perform as best it can too without being squeaky. Any part numbers or what I should be searching for?

Also, Jeremy, anyone you know looking to do bumper fillers on the side or just as a small shop job and do the body bushings at the same time? I really need to do both this Spring, but the body shops here that I would use aren't looking for a small job like this. I also need upper control arms, but I want to get the body cushions done first before I do the uppers and align it.

Hey Matt, Im checking into a new shop here Monday. I doubt they will do bushings but im sure they will do fillers. Ill send you a PM once i get some info. Jeremy

No more squeaks and rattles, last year I installed the 6 missing body bushings and 2 GNX bushings from Kirban, along with the GNX style Tinman brace behind the rear seat.

If you put on a 4" single shot exhaust you will eliminate the squeaks. :inpain:

Back