You can type here any text you want

Solid lifters for high HP

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
In my experience, solid lifters help at higher RPMs than what was tested in that article. Run the engine up to 7000 RPM with a hydraulic lifter setup whose manufacturer claims it will turn that high. In many cases the power drops off quickly somewhere above 6000 RPMs while the solid lifter cam keeps on going.

That article is very basic and doesn't list all the info needed to give a reason why one may or may not use a solid or a hyd for a particular application. In the case of about 99% of our engines we are springing for ramp not rpm. Also the xer hyd roller lobes they are using are extremely aggressive if analyzed with a solid lifter. The most aggressive hyd lobes are as aggressive as the most aggressive solid lobes also. Solid lifters provide a huge window of advantage in certain applications where stock valve heights must be maintained and spring selection is limited. Hint, hint. If we were lucky enough to have the heads and valve train capabilities to play with that these Chevy, ford, and mopar racers do our engine would be 3-4hp/ci with relative ease.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

The basis for the test set-up is flawed. They are forgetting about the solid roller's need for lash. Lash will result in lost motion, typically about 6 to 10 degrees (8 is a widely regarded numer) of effective duration and [lash] in lift (usually about 0.020"). In other words, the solid will need to be about 8 degrees larger in duration and about 0.020" bigger in lift to make up for lash and for it to be a true apples-to-apples comparison .

What Scott said ^^. In my measuring using a HYD lobe with a solid lifter adding .006 lash lost us about 6-8* duration at.050

there is some springs that will work fine depending on what you call "aggressive" and iron head will not work with what "I" call an aggressive cam. I mean an iron head will not work with .700 lift unless it is a crazy custom deal and then the aluminum will be better anyway
Mike

get some cam specs together and we can get a spring to fit, I have drop in solid roller lifters too which makes this easy

Oh I was just asking for reference, not to build another engine. I already have one of your cams in my car lol.

IMO you want to lose duration at those lifts. It reduces overlap, increases cylinder pressure, and reduces back flow. It allows you to alter the ex lobe for even more power. Lift should be a product of the ramp. Not what you're trying to increase. There's no accurate way to compare lobe families to other lobe families without analyzing the lobes of each either.

Our factory heads with an aggressive racing cam.
My definition of aggressive is it has an analyzed intensity of less than 30 degrees from .020" to .050" lift. Typically these aggressive cams will have 5-7% more duration at .200" even though the .050" number will be close on both. This requires a lot of spring pressure or the rpm limit will be low.

Good god. How in the hell do you know soo much technical information? That's amazing. I wish I could rent you for a weekend...

Good god. How in the hell do you know soo much technical information? That's amazing. I wish I could rent you for a weekend...
Ha,Ha
That's because he was smart enough to collaborate with guys smarter than him.
AG

Back