Something new & grey:

Looks very clean Gary, but do you ever intend on getting a turbo shield.

Not sure what I am going to do about the turbo shield. Currently I just keep an eye on the exterior paint on the hood. So far I have seen no indications that it is disturbing the paint.

Gary, gary, gary..............
looks real good.

I was SO afraid you were gonna tell is you finally got your zipper to work!!!!!!!!

That's sort of like the proverbial groundhog: Once it goes into hibernation, it stays that way for months on end.

hello; Coating are made to keep the heat in and that keeps the heat down I guess? So why not do it to that chromed IC pipe also so it would keep heat out to keep the the cool
air charge in. It seems to me chrome attracks heat.
just a thought
IBBY

The headers and crossover are ceramic coated to keep heat in, to help spool the turbo and lower engine compartment temps. Downpipe is coated to simply help lower engine compartment temps. You wouldn't really want to ceramic coat the up pipe. At that point, your trying to get the heat out, as part of the intercooler. This lowers the temp of the air charge going to the engine. Cooler / denser air makes more horse power.

Side notes: These parts were coated with a thicker coating on the inside, that looks ugly, but is a good insulator. Then coated with a thiner coating on the outside that looks nice. Most people just get the pretty stuff on the outside. Missing out on performance gains and having the outside last not as long.

Also, with the heat that these Turbo Buicks make, The shiny / chromey ceramic coat will look great... untill you go into boost.

Mike Barnard

hello; There are a few members that have there engine parts coated and there holding up and this will be a good test if the OP keeps posting. Now back to the up pipe. I always thought the heat in the engine bay was a problem and keeping the cool air in the intake even harder under there. Now I have a bigger SLIC (and that helps) but
I use to wrap the pipe. I don't know if it did anything and I'm no racer but I stopped doing it with no reason.I'm no scientist but why do you think a coated up pipe would not keep the heat out and cool in. If there is an answer (as there are some educated people here)please reply in a simple way that a HS grad could understand.
IBBY

Wrapping anything in a turbo Buick motor compartment may not be the best solution.
Header wrapping is a good temporary containment method for spilt oil & fluids.
That's temporary at least until it catches fire.

hello; There are a few members that have there engine parts coated and there holding up and this will be a good test if the OP keeps posting. Now back to the up pipe. I always thought the heat in the engine bay was a problem and keeping the cool air in the intake even harder under there. Now I have a bigger SLIC (and that helps) but
I use to wrap the pipe. I don't know if it did anything and I'm no racer but I stopped doing it with no reason.I'm no scientist but why do you think a coated up pipe would not keep the heat out and cool in. If there is an answer (as there are some educated people here)please reply in a simple way that a HS grad could understand.
IBBY

While your car is at idle or light load, the air in the up pipe is cooler than the air in the engine compartment. However, the car is not under load, so it doesn't matter if some of that heat transfers into the up pipe.

While your car is at peak load, near the end of a run and your SLIC is getting heat soaked. The air temps are greater in the up pipe (pre-alky) than in the engine compartment. This is where you would like to get every bit of heat out of the air charge. IMHO, wraping or coating the up pipe, would be sort of like wraping or coating the intercooler. Were not talking about any huge gains here. It's more a matter of principle.

Mike Barnard