Sometimes I wonder........

I guess I'm not up on the times because I wasn't aware of a mad mopar f body following. That musta been in the last 10 years or so. Not that I'd blame them, probably a better, lighter car than anything from the 60's and cheaper too. There is a volare roadrunner in a local junkyard. Want pics next time i'm there? It'll be april/may-ish. Here's a regular roadrunner dad bought from a junkyard: Hope they can save every trinket off of it. But I pity the fool that would attempt a resto.

If it had a title or you could run it thru MS or LS or somewhere with bill of sale, I'd say that's completely restorable! At least the floor looked reasonable! Of course there's a bazillion RR coupe's out there, but I did just that with a similar condition 69HT 383/4sp/suregrip/airgrabber/benchseat, car. My GF hated the butterscotch color and wouldn't even go near it. I can't believe I sold it without even taking a final pic of the finished work... Was going thru pics the other day and I still had plenty of Her even tho I got rid of her too!!!

Yes, I'd be interested in pics of what's on in and under that Volare RR. Probly pretty picked over, but you never know what trinket could be Gold. Try finding a wiper switch one time! Or swallow the price of a grille for any F-Body! Even broken grilles are worth something now since they have pieces to fix others. F's are the new A's price wise. But some pieces are very expensive because of the complete lack of aftermarket support. It's too small a niche for anybody to tool up and make a single part now. The cars were plentiful in the yards 25-ish yrs ago. I probly cut up 40-50 RT's & RR's alone, Plus regular models. Now there's very little left for further enthusiast support. I'd hate to see that happen to the TURBO BUICK. At least there's always been a recognition of value and a healthy enthusiast community with TB's.

PM me before you go!

It may have been an aspen R/T. I don't remember but I know it was that orange/red color and I think the spoiler was still on it. Complete with keystone klassics LOL.

I had a 86 WH-1 back in 2004. Massachusetts car. Bought it out of PA. Im sure Brian remembers that car. Had a considerable amount of rust on it. Totaled it December 27th of that year. 45mph to zero in about 4 seconds. I was lucky to walk away. Im sure the pictures are still floating around here somewhere. Bent the frame, needed a full front end and a door. Im absolutely sure there was some cowl damage. When the tensioner is broken in two, and the accessory bracket comes off in three pieces, it took a hit. I parted it out. It was done. Caught a lot of heat for it but I did what I had to do. Now 8 years later, Im in a better situation. Ive got a DD and the GN lives in the garage.

Took me a long three years to get back in the game after that. I hope I never have to do that again.
I remember you black 87 V8 Regal;)
One less 86 Wh-1 I offered at a point where I thought I could put it back. Another frame etc.
It wasn't much so you parted. You did what you had to do at the time. I didn't blame you for that.
No different when I sold a 1 owner running driving 99% rust free 70 barracuda for $325.00. Because I lost storage & had 2 days to move it or lose . Now Scott that hurt ;)

One less 86 Wh-1 I offered at a point where I thought I could put it back. Another frame etc.
It wasn't much so you parted. You did what you had to do at the time. I didn't blame you for that.
No different when I sold a 1 owner running driving 99% rust free 70 barracuda for $325.00. Because I lost storage & had 2 days to move it or lose . Now Scott that hurt ;)

I had a 69 Gto judge that I knew was a judge and a 4spd that I bought for $500 and robbed the 12 bolt and tilt column out of and was excited to get $1800 for it and I thought I got all the $$$ for it. I was missing engine and tranny and needed at least a quarter and trunk floor and probably fenders and a full restoration. Well I never did the PHS on it to document anything turns out it was a ram air 4 car instead of just a ram air 3 . The next guy was selling it for $5000 a couple months later. Would I still of sold it yes !!!! Would I of asked more certainly. It's probably $100,000 car now but I was never into the 1969 gto's I was a 70-72 guy and I also didn't have room because I had a 71 Gto on the way. I've parted silver anniversary ta's 81 NASCAR ta's and chopped up a complete matching # 1970 ram air 3 Ta. I guess you can't keep them all !!!! Space is valuable around here so I can't keep stuff around for the what if's in the future who knows how long any of us will be here ?

If I took a minute to pity myself for all the cars worth $60-100+K today that I cut up and parted out, I'd probly have to KILL MYSELF!!!!
RR's, RT's, Super Bee's, Cuda's, TA's, GP's, GTO's, R-code Ford's, it really makes me sick sometimes. Who ever knew there would become a strong aftermarket providing factory quality sheetmetal and the soft parts that were pretty darn rare in the beginning ?????

Rustbucket usta mean others could live on. Today any rustbucket with few surviving examples or few built is something worth hanging onto.

And don't start talking like you've realized your mortality TTA!!!!!!! It's something I've been considering as I catalog and tag or paintpen my massive stash of used and NOS lately so my potential widow would be able to realize her extra insurance policy instead of a dumpster and scrap roll-off. That kinda thinking hits home....

I wish I would've kept that car Brian. Never, ever let me down in the 5 years I drove it. That car was about as problem free as you could get for a Buick lol. But yeah I didnt have any cash to fix the WH so apart it came. It went on to help others live so I did what I could. Still have some parts left over from it. Mostly small stuff but the trans is in my GN now and I know where I can find the motor. Gave that away too for cheap... Shouldve found room for it here. Oh well. Id like to get another one someday.

Been meaning to comment on this thread.....bascially its the cycle of life only it involves cars. I have not done no where near as many Turbo Regals as G Body Parts has but its the way the system works so others can have parts to make their car better. It certainily is not a new practice since I started in the late 1970s I was doing in GTOs and Lemans at a pretty good clip besides selling nice ones and making repro parts.

The real crime if you want to call it a crime, although it was for the war effort (WWII) was when many cars that are now considered classics got crushed. When I started in the 1970s I also had a towing business and dealt with an old timer who owned 2 junk yards...he gave me special priviledges because I had just gotten out of the service. (Junkyards was a very profitable business all cash back in those days). He used to tell me of some of the cars they crushed from the 30s and 40s....He actually owned and drove to work a Mercedes Gullwing sold it because his wife did not like the way the doors opened vertically! Price one of them lately?

Heck today you seldom if ever see a new junk yard opening most have disappeared because the land has become more valuable or the next generation was not interested in the business.

We all do what we need to do to make a living. Granted a nice rust free example with a shot engine makes sense to sell to someone who can restore it.

Besides the car angle I was around when Hurst got sold to Mr Gasket in the late 1980s. Hurst was originally located in
the same town I lived in during the 1970s. Mr Gasket loaded up so many tractor trailers and alot of parts that where for the older muscle cars shifters and the like simply got tossed out...I was down there almost every day buying stuff from the employees but my interest was only with GM parts as Mopar I had no interest...so pistol grip handles got tossed.....looking back bad decision on my part but it happens.

Thats why companies like G body Parts and others (myself included to a small extent) have reproduced some of the items needed in the turbo world because parts are scarce. No one single person is to blame. Sorry if I strayed slightly from the topic.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

I see GNs with buy it now of 14-15k on ebay with low miles and I think about those sub 10k cars that need work. Its more economically feesable to part out the sub 10k car and just buy a decent lower mileage car at the moment. Whenever I drive my GN to church or in the public it's hardly recognized as the groundbreaking muscle car as we all know it. Nice monte is cliche' but Its evidence the public has no idea. I see it as a nitch car and I have a hard time imagining a strong desire in the future. Compared to when I drive my Chevelle or my old Mustang which were instantly recognizable by even non automobile aficionados.

This is just my opinion, but I see it remaining popular enough for prices to remain steady and perhaps even double one day, but I don't see Barrett Jackson type prices for anything other than the GNX. Hope I'm wrong since I'll hang onto my clean rust free (Verified) t-top GN, and I think it's one of the last muscle cars. (family car, full frame, bumpers, fast)

As an aside, Would you believe the T Tops get some of the most comments at cruise-ins. Most people lament how they use to really like them, and they are sad they don't see them anymore. Maybe people are more nostalgic about the g bodys than I remember. Personally, lots of potential is out there for mods ect... The Holly G body project has been fun to follow and may be close to the future for hotrodders...